Spring engine review - Page 2

Spring engine review

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Spring engine review

Post by SwiftSpear »

TradeMark wrote:what the fuck is indie game?

i have a picture in my head that indie games are made in breakfasts and played once and then threw into a trash bin... correct me if i am wrong...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ie%20games WTF IS THAT, ARE WE EMOS? :shock:
Review wrote:Balanced Anahliation
rotflmao anahilation XD

that review sucked indeed, old screenshots etc, and why the fuck did you link at your blog front page instead of the real Spring review page?

looks like you just wanted to get more visitors on your blog by this stupid review...
Christ, that's a horrendous definition of indie. Indie games are games made by small studios, designed for serious gamers, but not at AAA budgets. Many indie game builders are 1 or 2 man teams, they build games that focus heavily on specific game play structures, as opposed to commercial studios which often will release games with a full featured single player campaign and a multi-player environment as well. Pretty much all games in the open source scene are also indie games, simply because they are built on zero or minimal budgets.

Any tiny budget game designed with core gamers as the intended audience is an indie game. As opposed to small budget games for casual gamers, like solitare or poker, those are casual games.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SwiftSpear wrote:
TradeMark wrote:what the fuck is indie game?

i have a picture in my head that indie games are made in breakfasts and played once and then threw into a trash bin... correct me if i am wrong...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ie%20games WTF IS THAT, ARE WE EMOS? :shock:
Review wrote:Balanced Anahliation
rotflmao anahilation XD

that review sucked indeed, old screenshots etc, and why the fuck did you link at your blog front page instead of the real Spring review page?

looks like you just wanted to get more visitors on your blog by this stupid review...
Christ, that's a horrendous definition of indie. Indie games are games made by small studios, designed for serious gamers, but not at AAA budgets. Many indie game builders are 1 or 2 man teams, they build games that focus heavily on specific game play structures, as opposed to commercial studios which often will release games with a full featured single player campaign and a multi-player environment as well. Pretty much all games in the open source scene are also indie games, simply because they are built on zero or minimal budgets.

Any tiny budget game designed with core gamers as the intended audience is an indie game. As opposed to small budget games for casual gamers, like solitare or poker, those are casual games.
Blah Blah Blah... in all that you failed to mention that "Indie" is short for "Independent"... Just saying.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

SinbadEV wrote:Blah Blah Blah... in all that you failed to mention that "Indie" is short for "Independent"... Just saying.
Ya, but it's kind of a tenuous distinction at this point. Many indie games do publish, they just didn't start development with a publisher. It's a similar termology to "mod" which loosely means any third party content using an existing code base... even though there are tonnes of different exceptions and special cases, a "mod" in gaming is a far cry from the original term "modification".
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

so basically any game is indie game, if they dont make too many features in the game.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I agree with panzeriv2 quoted review. (Though I'm sad it doesn't mention the games/mods, I like, such as KP or EE or Gundam)

No, trademark, it's not "too many features" but "too many mainstream advertisment and big money expenditure".
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I agree that installing is a bit diffcult and stuff, but the fog of war is just a shitty point to whine about.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

I honestly prefer that spring doesn't have the traditional fog of war.
It still HAS fog of war, it just isn't rendered as that gay black/grayish haze that all other games do. As a matter of fact, spring's fog of war/line of sight is probably the best in the Genre right now.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Hoi wrote:I agree that installing is a bit diffcult and stuff
Only if you are stupid. Or one of the people who have otherwise normal intelligence, but cannot figure anything out for themselves because they have never had to before.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

TradeMark wrote:so basically any game is indie game, if they dont make too many features in the game.
No, there are games in the large market that do that to, and any game working under a multi-million dollar studio is not indie. As a trend, indie games tend to be more focused on specific aspects of their design. It's not the defining factor though.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

zwzsg wrote:No, trademark, it's not "too many features" but "too many mainstream advertisment and big money expenditure".
SoaSE counts as indie, apparently it means "made by a company I don't see as a big corproate overlord" these days.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

ITT: people lashing out at a positive review that had the audacity to focus on the mod that pretty much everybody plays.

sure makes the spring community look like a bunch of nice guys.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

wtf this "indie" makes no sense. lets just call them all just "games" :?

Return to “General Discussion”