Just stumbled across this

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

timboj2008

Post by timboj2008 »

Just been browsing youtube and I stumbled accross a video on the spring project. This looks nothing short of awesome!

I know nothing about modding and in the scheme of things I am a relative computer noob. However, total annihilation is probably my all time favourite game, it consumed my childhood. Can someone possibly explain a bit to me about this whole spring project?

Am I a bit late in arriving on the scene or is the community still strong? Do I need the original game to play this? (I do have it but no idea where). Finally is this an online only game or has an AI been implemented into this?

Thanks in advance
Decimator

Re: Just stumbled across this

Post by Decimator »

It is quite strong. The game is mostly multiplayer, but there are some single-player missions for certain mods. Additionally, you can add bots to your game and play against those.
pintle

Post by pintle »

You need to own a copy of TA in order to legally play the games which include TA content.

As far as single player goes, Spring is focused primarily on multiplayer. There is support for single player gaming, notably CA/BA chicken defense (play alone/co-op/competitively to try and survive increasingly difficult waves of chicken like dinosaur beasties) NOTA's Spacebugs (broadly similar).

More "standard" AI's do exist, but if you are familiar with TA, unless you give them an economic advantage (through handicap), outnumber yourself, and/or pointedly do not rush (any combination of those 3 tbh) you will have a very easy time.
Regret

Post by Regret »

pintle wrote:You need to own a copy of TA in order to legally play the games which include TA content.
No you don't.
aegis

Post by aegis »

Regret wrote:
pintle wrote:You need to own a copy of TA in order to legally play the games which include TA content.
No you don't.
no?
Regret

Post by Regret »

aegis wrote:no?
No. I wasn't aware it's legal in any way, with or without the ownership of TA :D
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

lol im sure the majority of springers playing *A mods nowadays dont own TA :/ just people keep saying you have to own it to save themselves from the wrath of IP usage but tbh it means shit all :p
lurker

Post by lurker »

It's legal to use, but not to distribute. That said, we don't even know if Atari owns the rights at this point and no one cares at all about our use of TA.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Damn paranoids will scare people form the project at this rate...
Hmm might be a little bit paranoid myself but iv seen people comment in the Youtube videos and in other places asking if you have to have a copy of OTA which means they are confused.

Stop saying you need a TA copy!! nobody is gonna sue you ffs.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

You can play Spring legally without owning TA, as Spring is not only BA & CA.

For instance, Pure, or Kernel Panic, do not use any stolen art.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

zwzsg wrote:You can play Spring legally without owning TA, as Spring is not only BA & CA.

For instance, Pure, or Kernel Panic, do not use any stolen art.
And both are much more fun than TA based rips too.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

DOnt worry about TA shit I bought 20000 copies and donated them to spring, so that should cover everyone.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Tribulex wrote:DOnt worry about TA shit I bought 20000 copies and donated them to spring, so that should cover everyone.
Where'd ya find that many co.... ohshi---- brb....

YOU BASTARD! GIVE ME BACK MY PRIVATE POST NUKE STOCKPILE! THOSE WERE MINE, FOR RE-INTRODUCING HUMANITY TO VIDJA GAMES POST NUCLEAR WAR!!!
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i have my stash hidden away on the moon...mwahahahahahaha! :twisted:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zoy64 wrote:i have my stash hidden away on the moon...mwahahahahahaha! :twisted:
had....
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Mines in my anus. Safe and brown.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not safe from PEET!
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

BlackLiger wrote:
Tribulex wrote:DOnt worry about TA shit I bought 20000 copies and donated them to spring, so that should cover everyone.
Where'd ya find that many co.... ohshi---- brb....

YOU BASTARD! GIVE ME BACK MY PRIVATE POST NUKE STOCKPILE! THOSE WERE MINE, FOR RE-INTRODUCING HUMANITY TO VIDJA GAMES POST NUCLEAR WAR!!!

I bought them from your secretary using my seed of life and the spout from which it is issued.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

ewww...there are other methods of doing things
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

so ummmm.... Welcome!

Return to “General Discussion”