Medieval RTS?

Medieval RTS?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

KaneIronwolf

Medieval RTS?

Post by KaneIronwolf »

Ok, im new here, and this may be a stupid question, but im wondering if i can use spring to make a medieval RTS that is loosely based on the Stronghold series (more specificaly, Stronghold 2). Also, if it can, would anyone be willing to help me make said game, and if it cant, can someone point me to an engine that can make it.
Muzic

Re: Medieval RTS?

Post by Muzic »

Im not sure how far any of the mod devs have gotten to any melee combat; the engine isn't made for it.

I think someone, with alot of LUA scripts, made a video depeciting a bunch of the WW2 allies fighting eachother with giant lightsabers; even then it was quite rough.
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

...i only understood half the words in that sentence...
...im really new to the whole game maing world, all ive done is plan out the game and units and all that, and that took months.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I really like the idea of a medieval mod for Spring. How about you explain which aspects of Stronghold you mean? Especially if you plan units with hand-to-hand combat (melee) or not.
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

well, mine is a little more centered toward combat than economy. you have Gold, Population, Wood, Stone, and Metal as resources, peasants dont hang around outside, units are instantly created at the barracks or whatever structure they are supposed to made at, your kingdom centers araund a central strucutre that can be upgraded, you can set rations and taxes, build expansions, you dont have a playable lord, but you do have a Hero you train and revive at your central strucutre to lead your forces into combat. and yes lots of hand to hand plus range and even a little magic.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Muzic wrote:Im not sure how far any of the mod devs have gotten to any melee combat; the engine isn't made for it.

I think someone, with alot of LUA scripts, made a video depeciting a bunch of the WW2 allies fighting eachother with giant lightsabers; even then it was quite rough.
It was Nemo. He did some further work on it. Others have also messed with melee. It's plausible to do a medieval mod in Spring now, but there are better alternatives (lotr games come to mind, and AoE)
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

ok...how would i use the lotr or aoe engines though? i just ran a search and all i got was the games.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I have no idea. Go join some community forums of those games and find out if they are modable.
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

ok thanks, ill try that out. but if anyone has an idea as to an engine i can use, plz tell me. ty
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Dont listen to these guys, if you want to make a game like Stronghold, Spring is probably better suited to it than most other RTS's engines, and easier to mod. It isnt ideal but its probably better than LOTR... and AoE? You gotta be kidding me. There might be better engines but those arent them.

Whether it can be made or not depends on your abilities. Spring can do almost anything now with lua.

You're unlikely to find anyone to help you unless you can do a lot of the groundwork yourself. Everyone who has the skills has their own pet project to work on (and sometimes, several projects), and most of them want help, too.

If you'd like to learn just open up the guts of a mod, fiddle with it and start asking questions.

Rather than mimicking Stronghold, id suggest using Springs existing features to create something similiar and interesting- a very interesting mod similiar inmechanics to Stronghold could be used using CA's terraforming as a primary dynamic.

Good luck.
Last edited by Saktoth on 26 Oct 2008, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

My solution was pure cob, but its very work intensive to get something that looks good. Play-wise its not too hard to get going, but if you want to get fancy (blocks, for example) it takes a lot of tweaking.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Saktoth wrote:Dont listen to these guys
Yeah, I'm sure flozi doesn't know what he's talking about, your advice is the supreme factor here :roll:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I would love to see a medieval mod... If you can model and texture, the rest you'll be able to find help with... providing you're not trying to do something no-one has done before LUA or COBwise...

If you can't model or texture you'll need to find someone who can (probably from outside of the current community because most of ours are already on projects) before you make any progress.
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

Well actually, most of the ground work is done, if already figured out unit stats, structure stats, and even have the beginnings of a single-player campaign, but a code retard, and i can never get models to turn out right (probly becuase i cant even draw anything but a stick person). So yah, ive got all the details of units and strucutres and things, but i cant program or model. those are the things i need help with.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Cant program OR model? Uh oh... If you want to start a spring project that will get help, you need to atleast do one or the other. Try looking at modelling tutorials.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

You'll need to texture too, and that takes alot of time to learn, maybe you could ask a friend who can do one of those things?
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

yah ok well ill try to figure out how to model, and ask my friends if they can help. i know acouple of them are good at computers, they might be able to program.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

KaneIronwolf wrote:yah ok well ill try to figure out how to model, and ask my friends if they can help. i know acouple of them are good at computers, they might be able to program.
that's a start, but learning to model and texture... you don't just do that, it takes alot of time before your stuff is of a reasonable quality.

BTW, do you have any sketches or something you could show?
KaneIronwolf

Post by KaneIronwolf »

no...cant draw well, but i have lots of artist friends who would draw pretty much the whole game for a couple bucks. i can put up some later this week or next, and might be able to draw some pretty basic ones myself.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

depends on what type of rts gameplay u want.

MTW2 engine is probs the best for medieval modding.

But im sure spring could be ok for a medieval mod

Return to “General Discussion”