Unit cannon

Unit cannon

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Durandal

Unit cannon

Post by Durandal »

No, not a unit with a cannon.

A unit cannon. A cannon that fires units.

It's more of a gimmick than anything, but think of the possibilities.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Was kinda possible in Old TA with obscure scripting from zwzsg and should technically be working in Spring too (in worst case having a unit as a weapon model).
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Well, i been long thinking about making a factory who wont let the unit escape and then having an opening that changes to where you aim it, and then a no damage explosion flungs the unit away... i dont know, those the round ball thingies that are around the units hinder this?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Meh. And I was looking forward to using the cannon to fire crawling bombs, too.
el_muchacho

Re: Unit cannon

Post by el_muchacho »

Durandal wrote:No, not a unit with a cannon.

A unit cannon. A cannon that fires units.

It's more of a gimmick than anything, but think of the possibilities.
(ROFL)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Storm wrote:Was kinda possible in Old TA with obscure scripting from zwzsg and should technically be working in Spring too (in worst case having a unit as a weapon model).
Except weapon models aren't implemented yet, for some obscure reason, despite Sean Mirrsen doing the code for it. :|
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

rofl

fun idea for sure... *imagines bombarding enemy with peewees*

=D
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Meh. And I was looking forward to using the cannon to fire crawling bombs, too.
Seems a helluva long way around to just getting a gun that fires powerful weapons...
Big bertha or annihilator?
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Seems a helluva long way around to just getting a gun that fires powerful weapons...
Big bertha or annihilator?

Think he wanted them to survive to... So, shoot one into the base and then walk up to the fusions...
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

See, I don't think they expect bullets to survive the journey, so I doubt kbots would fair much better :wink:

However, using the transport idea I suggested, the intent would still be there.

We never heard word from the SY's as to whether they were going to code it into transports...
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

See, I don't think they expect bullets to survive the journey, so I doubt kbots would fair much better

We never heard word from the SY's as to whether they were going to code it into transports...
When someone is crazy and desperate egnuff to fire his soldiers out of cannons, i don't know what to expect.
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

There actually was a unit called a Peewee cannon, but it's been lost in obscurity. It was funny as all hell though.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Hey, if custom projecktiles are implented, what would be defined as a projectile?

Maybe you just could change it to fire units... Could be fun, and usefull. Minelayers could ''shoot'' (lay=D) mines instead of build em. And if thats posibole, how far is shooting buildings...

*He's shooting fusions on us! run for your life!*
There actually was a unit called a Peewee cannon, but it's been lost in obscurity. It was funny as all hell though
Omfg must find that!

*googls*

EDIT: well that was esay to find... lost in obscurity my ass...
http://www.planetannihilation.com/tauec/tabdd.htm

Can somone make it work? ^^
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

heh. Actually, a gravity catapult would be cool. Planes, normally shot down by hostile fire, can be accelerated to nearly 50x their normal speed. During their superspeed flight, they can't slow down or turn or fire, but they pass over the defences so fast it doesn't matter....

Takes a lot of energy though :)
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Triaxx2 wrote:There actually was a unit called a Peewee cannon, but it's been lost in obscurity. It was funny as all hell though.
http://www.unituniverse.com/?page=udb&m=u&id=1834

(note to future readers: if that link is broken or pointing to the wrong unit, it's probably because we did the script and database update we've been working on. Just go to search and put in "Peewee Cannon" for the name)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Engine code changes? As far as I was aware the transports that dropped units by parachute, or swooped and scooped up units or nose dived and dropepd them off quickly where simply a matter of scripting, one fo which has already been implemented (zwzsg c-130) so the SY's need never be invovled with reespect to that.
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

If there were a unit cannon, would someone models and animate a cow?

You haven't lived till you've hurled cows at the enemy.
MrAstrup

Teleportation

Post by MrAstrup »

I think in stead of having a cannon firing units, we should have a teleportation plant instead.

An it should consume huge amounts of energy when running and it should cost a lot of energy and metal to buld it.

It would give someone who is being attacked and sourrounded by enemies the ability to counterattack from various positions.

The amount of energy it costs to teleportate a unit should depend on the size of the unit and the distance to your point of teleportation. The larger the distance, the slower the teleportation also.

Just imagine teleporting a radar jammer and then an army afterwards.

The bulding should teleportate any unit with an area you can specify and drop them within another area you specify. it should be possibile to set how much energy you want the building to use. The more energy the faster and longer distance you can teleport units. It should also be possible to define how many units you want to teleport at a time so you can teleport e.g 20 units in one go and make a big surprise attack. Perhaps the building should hold it´s own energy storage so that it saves up energy for the next teleportation.

You could also have another electromagnetic unit then which would disturb the teleportation process and make it impossible to teleport to any area it covers - a radar jamming like unit!

Just some ideas....
MrAstrup

Post by MrAstrup »

The price for the teleportation could be something like:

Energy consumption to teleport:
Unit metal price * static energy factor * distance in pixels

I want the unit metal price to decide how much energy it costs to teleportate because teleportation is about using energy to create mass and vice versa. It is in this way a metal to energy consumer!

Metal consumption to teleport:
Only a small amount like unit metal price * 0.2 or something like that.
Just to make it cost a little because we don´t want the teleportation ability to make regular strategy obsolete!

What do you say ?
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

metal consumption to teleport! :S why not make the platform cost a lot of metal AND energy and the transporting cost just metal

Return to “General Discussion”