Of new themes, and lurking. - Page 7

Of new themes, and lurking.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Of new themes, and lurking.

Post by smoth »

is a banner image forb. it isn't the main one but it is a banner.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

orly? Well fuck me twice and call me suzy...

I'm aware of that smoth, but in the other thread long ago we made distinctions between the two so we would have a clue what we were talking about. Top image = banner, big image in the middle = main image/advertising image/etc
smoth

Post by smoth »

doesn't matter. The prior thread is a giant wall o' text and drama. People CBA to give a fuck about all the little bits in it.

Just like mods will always mean modifications.

you cannot just go and arbitrary decide a term means something else. Everywhere but spring will call it a banner. In this case only a handful of people will care that it is properly called the main image. For all other purposes it is mearly a second banner in the main image space.

you are really getting riled up over this stuff. Chill, it is just an image.

also FYI, the smaller text lets us see more of the picture.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We agreed upon 12pt.

I suggested 12pt as a guideline and provided an example using the P.U.R.E logo text.

Argh supported this as did WZ and roflcopter and it was made so.

The guideline of 12pt was not a strict font size, instead it was based upon the actual space the P.U.R.E text took up, 12pt was simply the font size required for that font to take up the ideal amount of space.

So the font size itself is irrelevant as long as it remains of a similar size. If we had differing logo sizes between banners it would show as inconsistent and stick out as an eyesore to those who noticed the logos.
Roflcopter

Post by Roflcopter »

The main objective of the welcome image was to show how pretty Spring can look, not to show your logos to the people nor to advertise your games directly by their name.
But then again, it looks as if you were dying to have your game's logo on the frontpage, so it's really hard to make you change your mind.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Actually, if you recall the past hilarity, I actually didn't like the fact that you used red/orange/yellow in your logo, because the site design has gone for a cool blue/white theme, so sticking any yellow/orange immediately steals the attention. My main point is that the mod logos shouldn't distract from the hierarchy of the page. Which is why I suggest that mod names should be 12 point, white (or black if the image is very light) and the same font that is being used on the site. I like this because it lets players know what the mod is in the screenshot, but it's a subtle footnote that doesn't impose on the hierarchy of the website. In my mind it gives curious visitors what they want to know about the mod, without making the website look amateurish with too many things vying for attention.

download/file.php?id=585

But again, these are just my opinions, if roflcopter wants to compromise, that's up to him, and I'm not going to go slitting my wrists about it. These are just my thoughts on how the frontpage should look, and I really don't want to get involved in another whinge-fest. At the end of the day, we can all state our opinions, but it's up to roflcopter to make the decision, because he's the site designer, and we need someone to make the calls so that the design remains cohesive.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Apparently we're going to open a site content subforum soon, and people will be able to submit any content they'd like to appear on the frontpage for moderator approval. Then it will just be an issue of moving content from point A to point B and we'll have a frontpage post/bannerimage/video/screenshot.

Return to “General Discussion”