Having trouble figuring this out

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Widgeteye

Post by Widgeteye »

My problem is when I play a single player the bots do nothing. Is there something I am supposed to setup that makes them start building things or does the single player just have the initial main ship or main builder and I'm supposed to go blow it up?

I read a lot of the wiki but didn't find anything on there about what the single player mode actually does. :roll:

I can build things myself. Do the bots not build anything? Is there something I am supposed to do with the little bot icons in the springlobby before I sart the game?

I would actually like to know how to play the game before I start trying to play online. Is there an actual manual anywhere that tells these types of things? Like what each of the items does that you build and so on?

Thanks
caldera

Re: Having trouble figuring this out

Post by caldera »

some bots dont work with some mods. Last time i checked, KAI worked fine with Balanced Annihilation Mod, perhaps you try this
Tark

Post by Tark »

AAI does actually work with the latest (V6.31) BA, Which mod are you using?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Thats Global Test AI (KAIK) from spring.exe, or 'add bot > KAIK' from the lobby.

If you are playing with ships though, what mod are you playing? Eternal Struggle, Final Frontier? Every single mod is made by a totally different set of developers and has its own manuals and its own websites etc etc etc. Spring is not just one game.

If you get CA, you can play our single-player mode 'Chicken Defense' (Where you fight waves of dinosaur like critters). Just play the 'commanders 1000' script in the spring.exe or start a game and add a 'Chicken: Easy' bot. There are also forms of Chicken available for most mods, as add-ons.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

my experience about bots is that they:
1) crash
2) slow down PC until you want to quit because FPS is 1
3) dont work

but i play BA chickens (they are stupid bots though).

its so much easier to play against human 8) just forget the bots, man...

hmm.. i remember i played against some bot when i started spring first time, it was XTA i think... but after few games i went online.
manored

Post by manored »

Spectating some games should get you a nice idea of how the game is, afterwards you can try some 1vs1 or team games chosing positions on the map where a failure from your part wont necessarly mean the defeat of the team.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If you want to just get some enemies coming at you you can use the "random enemies" script from the spring.exe... just throws increasingly strong enemies at you... not as good as a real AI (which do "sorta" work... you just need to be using the right lobby, content and AI) but it let's you learn how to get up infrastructure fast... without a campaign to work through the best way to learn is by spectating/watching replays...
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I think Lionheart had some uber trained bots, mabe they where RAI i forget. They whipped ass. I was pestering him to upload them, but then again i havent seen him in a long while now. :( The point with some of these AI's is that they can learn to be better if you play many games with them.

Also, you need to start with fixed start positions for a bot to work.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

*Sigh*
http://www.springinfo.info

Go there for a very detailed writeup and walkthrough.

Return to “General Discussion”