New GUI Layout

New GUI Layout

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Doomweaver

New GUI Layout

Post by Doomweaver »

Still not sure where to put the text box for messages, but anyway.

Example:
http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dea7yw.jpg
Without text:
http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ext9ko.jpg
Current (for comparison):
http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ent0px.jpg

haha! Those images are only 210 kb each, at 1280x1024. Jpeg is pretty good, eh?

Does anyone think this layout is a good idea? Any suggestions? Feel free to post any comments.

Also, if we used this layout we wouldn't get rid of the old one, so don't flame me too much if you don't like it.
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

Excellent layout.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Woot woot woot doosh doosh woot, thats my map.

Wha? Gui? Yea I suppose its ok :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Better layout, though I dunno about the panel colours.

*points to New GUI code* fix fix fix!

Whatever happened to Pius anyways?

edit:: btw the one with text has been amde smaller and the text is unreadable.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Alantai, what do you mean? In my layout?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

In the image with the text, the image has been downsized and the text cannot be read.

But aestheticlly, it's the dark grey boxes in pale grey panels I aint too sure about. Eitherway I'd like to see a homeworld 2 style UI with the yellow and blue and the semi translucent dark gray backgrounds.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Alantai Firestar wrote:In the image with the text, the image has been downsized and the text cannot be read.
Just click the image. :P
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

as much as i want to see a better giu for spring, this doesnt quite do it for me.
i think you have basically fixed all the annoying things about the original gui (having too many build buttons when not necessary and stuff like that) but i just dont like the layout. i think the new gui features would benifit from the original layout. when the build and command menus arent situated together it makes everything seem a little cluttered and cramped (compared to having them together). but apart from that i like it alot! :-)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Have you programmed it or is just a photoshop job to get the idea?

The buildpics should be put next to each other without any grey border IMO.

Oh and I'd also like builpics to fill the whole screen, instead of having to flip pages.
mongus

Post by mongus »

no range?
no repeat button?

i dont see real gain in comparision with the actual menu.
someone knows where to find the documentation on menu costomizing?

the only pro i see, is that the screen (when displaying a menu) is now "wider".
well that is almos diagonally... it gives you a bit more view area..

that shots are way simplistic. work more on it bf posting such.
that is eyecnady only eh? no real programming?
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

We need someone to create a skinned look of the interface. I don't want transparent boxes! It would be so cool to have it look like OTA or even the more modern RTS's. But for that we would need artists....crap.... :?
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

wtf is wrong with current...??? i like transparent boxes! :)
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Min3mat wrote:wtf is wrong with current...??? i like transparent boxes! :)
They are ok...but they don't look professional really. I like scratched up metal and blinking lights on my GUI's!
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

ooh well done scratched metal would be awesome! i just don't like the concept, keep the design atm and change the theme! :)
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Yeah its just 'eye candy' as you put it.

"no range?
no repeat button? "

what do you mean? Yeah, you can't see a units range just by glancing at the text, you have to use control+L or whatever it is. And repeat IS there.

Anyway, I guess the layout itslf isn't that popular (cause I wasn't asking about the color scheme, that's something else entirely)

What I thought was neet about it is that when you don't have a contruction unit selected the screen is less cluttered, and because we could make the orders into pictures, we can have smaller panels.

But if you guys think the orders and everything else should be on the right hand side, we can try that, and see how it looks.

Remember, we're just brainstorming! No promises. Although I can create some nicer graphics for it, people seem to be saying that they like the semi-transperant boxes (which I don't lol)
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Keep buildings and commands separate...it saves the headache of navigating huge menus and crap.

Even better would be to have one command "Build" open up a new menu.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Ace07 wrote:Keep buildings and commands separate...it saves the headache of navigating huge menus and crap.

Even better would be to have one command "Build" open up a new menu.
That's the idea, but I figured while at it, we may as well make the appearance of the build panel automatic.

Anyway, the way I see it, most of the code is already there. The build/order menu already appears when you click on a unit, so we can use the same code to make the unit orders panel appear. We already have left/right arrows implemented, so surely we can use the same code to switch between the two order panels, and also to tab between pages in the build screen.
zwzsg wrote:The buildpics should be put next to each other without any grey border IMO.

Oh and I'd also like builpics to fill the whole screen, instead of having to flip pages.
Yeah, that first idea makes sense I suppose, less space that way, with just a small border around the outiside rather than between them all. But not sure if we want lots of buildings appearing at once.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I think the GUI should go like this!

On the top we have the minimap and the energy adn metal bars. Both bars are cool looking (think OTA) and the little slider should be a cool little slidy thing... uhhh.... i really need to draw this!

But the build menue should slide out of the command menue and have all the buttons, compleat with a little slider bar that would change the buttons selections...

I dont think this is comming across well :oops:

BUT I DO want blinking lights too! And my static fade out for when you move out of your LOS
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Zoombie could you be a bit more precise? Perhaps an image demonstrating placement across the screen?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Didnt gnome I think it was create a version fo spring with the OTA GUI?

Return to “General Discussion”