The website (yes, again) - Page 8

The website (yes, again)

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: The website (yes, again)

Post by SwiftSpear »

The old wiki skin absolutely rips rofl's site to shreds. That's definitely going to need to be updated before it's usable.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

smoth wrote:it looks great so far fnordia, are you going to add more banners for other projects?
Well, I only added the two banners that I found in the two designs posted earlier in this thread by roflcopter. I barely know how to open photoshop. :) It would certainly make sense to have more than two if it is going to rotate.
aegis wrote:looks very nice
does the referenced imagerotate.php work properly?
I have one I wrote... it picks at random from a list of images (it can easily be modified to pick from all images in a subdirectory) and has everything properly set to not cache in browsers
I did a simple redirect thing, but it only seems to work properly in IE. So a better one would be nice.
SwiftSpear wrote:The old wiki skin absolutely rips rofl's site to shreds. That's definitely going to need to be updated before it's usable.
Yeah, I just tried to apply the basic layout, didn't spend much time on changing the colors in the style. But it looks a bit flat as well I think, don't think I can piece together something much better from the images used for the frontpage layout though. Someone with photoshop skills would probably have to step in here as well. :) This will certainly be true for the forum layout as well.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

It looks great i can't wait to see it go live!!
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

I added a bit more of roflcopters layout to the frontpage. The video box is still just an image though.

I also added some basic content management. If you go here, it's possible for anyone to add more images to the banner and welcome image rotations. I guess if this gets deployed on the live site posts there would require moderator approval or something. But right now anyone can post I think. :) And it should probably be hidden in a subforum somewhere and not take up space in the main forum index.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

The new additions look great, especially making the windows and linux links to go specific places.

My only beef with it is that the middle image is too large height wise i think.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not recall but did rofl post the PSD? If he did I could do a few more banners.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Can we use the proper logos rather than roflcopters version. We should be consistent, and if we cant use our own logo on our own website then basically there's no point.

Since everybody is barking up this tree, you do realize that dokuwiki tempaltes are not hard, if anything some of the efforts put into websites are HARDER.

I figured the template system all by myself using very little effort. There are people here with far more experience with these things than I have complaining that nobody knows how.

Since more effort has gone into either arguing against me or designing enw sites than I myself put into building the site, I don't see why I should bother. You people are more interested in complaining and designing frontpages than you are with actually getting what you want, so much so that you could have rebuilt ebay or youtube in the time taken to denounce or reinvent what I've done.

Look at the sheer effort put into making other websites, rebuilding what I implemented, photoshop mockups. Using custom logos because they personally prefer this particular style, not using the correct procedures.

Fnordia, where is this site in svn?

I built you all a site. I spent time and effort, my time and effort, for free, out of my free time, that I already contribute a vast quantity to, and what do I get? rival sites redoing everything I did popping up that give no percievable improvement, photoshop mockups and long threads discussing how they'll be implemented as if I dont exist, an entire effort to implement a rival design without me being even asked or consulted. What if I had already implemented roflcopters design? What if I had a better design up my sleeve I was planning to show in a day or two?

Let me put forward a few home truths:
  • There is nothing worth saving in the current wiki, it all needs rewriting.
  • The current site is quite frankly apalling.
  • You all think redoing the frontpage will fix everything, its all about the frontpage you say it's not
  • The community expects the web developer who builds to site to do all the content for them
  • The web developer who builds the site will never fill the site for the community no matter how long they wait
  • We will always have a fixed width website no matter how horrific that is. People don't seem to have gotten past it and its extremely annoying

I hereby relinquish whatever responsibilities I have regarding site development here and abandon whatever efforts I have. For this I blame the community itself for shooting itself.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

AF wrote: [*] There is nothing worth saving in the current wiki, it all needs rewriting.

not true, example: the entire lua section is up to date, however i dont have a problem rewriting the unit making tut and some other stuff
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:Can we use the proper logos rather than roflcopters version.
[Agreement][/Agreement]
AF wrote:Since everybody is barking up this tree, you do realize that dokuwiki tempaltes are not hard, if anything some of the efforts put into websites are HARDER.
yet it wasn't done..

AF wrote:
  • There is nothing worth saving in the current wiki, it all needs rewriting.

PFFFFFFFFFT HA HA HA HAH AH AHAH LOL !@!@@$@2124EXCLAMATIONPOINT

AF wrote:[*] The current site is quite frankly apalling.
I think with rofl's design it will be slick as a greased fat man on a slip and slide which lies on the smoothest side of a pyramid.
AF wrote:[*] You all think redoing the frontpage will fix everything, its all about the frontpage you say it's not
The site is fine and fnordia is adding support for other things augmenting the already functioning and nice site.
AF wrote:[*] The community expects the web developer who builds to site to do all the content for them
Welcom to doing the site. Oh wait we have to generate the content to show off... lol. The rest of the work is GASP images and layout that belong to the site. Sure there are some internals but a site is all about what facing it presents to the end user.

AF wrote:[*] The web developer who builds the site will never fill the site for the community no matter how long they wait
actually he is doing that and making it work with phpbb..

AF wrote:I hereby relinquish whatever responsibilities I have regarding site development here and abandon whatever efforts I have. For this I blame the community itself for shooting itself.
AWESOME! So you blame us for going with a superior design. You installed doku, did a basic skin then disappeared making no progress. No one forced you to work on the site. I said it long before focus on your lobby and to not worry about this misc stuff. I supported your logo because I felt it was good but as far as the site work I found it unsatisfactory. Your hand was not forced and don't try to act like a wounded dove, we wanted the design we liked and that is the direction things have gone.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Fnordia is not filling a wiki in from scratch.

All != fnordia fnordia != All

Why are you even bothering to argue it smoth? I'm demotivated enough as it is yet you think tis wise to try and push me away even further?! Please just leave me alone.
smoth

Post by smoth »

because I do not understand why you are so angry at fnordia for updating the site. I also will NEVER EVER understand how you can say the wiki is useless/invalid/whatever.

Sure it needs some updates and maybe some organization but that is all.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

AF wrote: I hereby relinquish whatever responsibilities I have regarding site development here and abandon whatever efforts I have. For this I blame the community itself for shooting itself.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
aegis

Post by aegis »

AF wrote:We will always have a fixed width website no matter how horrific that is. People don't seem to have gotten past it and its extremely annoying[/list]
fluid width is also bad

you can't win either way
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Fixed width is retarded.

Case in point:
Clipboard01.jpg
(149.81 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
lolwhitespace?

Fixed width is very bad you are now catering to all resolutions including the lowest common denominator which would be 800x600.

lern2backgroundimage

With what fnordia is doing, all it is is putting a VERY BAD website into a pretty wrapper.

Lern2fixed/fluid http://forum.myupb.com/

Bottom line. Lern2design mmk?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

:lol:

You are so clueless it hurts.
aegis

Post by aegis »

hypocrisy is a basis of forb's ideology

whitespace is a part of design

if you don't want this specific whitespace, don't stretch your browser so far horizontally...

when you have a large resolution, it doesn't mean you need to maximize your browser

I personally run my browser as if it were on a 1280x800 screen if my monitor is any larger than 1440x900
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

it's gettings better and better :) the "click here to see more media" should be a bit reduced to fit the available space actually it should be text like the rest but i guess it's not text yet because it's not done

and i don't like the underline on hover, maybe just a color change (green or something flashy but not too much)
aegis

Post by aegis »

fluid width caters to more people!

fixed width doesn't preserve the content at any resolution...

</sarcasm>
smoth

Post by smoth »

FLOZi wrote:You are so clueless it hurts.
I know, I stopped trying to explain things to him.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Do any of you understand the concept of fixed width with fluid width? It means that you get the best of both worlds.

Congrats aegis, you're an idiot, and did a wonderful job of proving it with those images.

Aegis, did it ever occur to you that you can also adjust browser on fluid width?

Ungh, you're arguing points when you don't even have a clue wtf you're talking about. Good god.

Heh, I'm out of this. Do whatever you like. Arrogant idiots tend to congregate. You completely fail to see the backend of things, which as a coder, is pretty damn pathetic, however, it has been said that coders generally make the worst designers, which is quite true.

Return to “General Discussion”