The website (yes, again) - Page 7

The website (yes, again)

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoi

Re: The website (yes, again)

Post by Hoi »

you should all stop arguing about who is right, and start discussing what to do with the new site

e: it rhymes!
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

Perhaps I should just take a few hours and apply roflcopter's design to the current site. :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

fnorda, I would <3 you for it!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It would also nuke all the effort to fix the current site.

At th veyr least fnordia make sure we have access to actually change the current site. Lack of FTP access make tobi cry.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Fnordia wrote:Perhaps I should just take a few hours and apply roflcopter's design to the current site. :)
I didn't say that it can't happen, I said that it "won't" happen, and if you put it on this site, congrats, you will have just put a band-aid on a bullet hole.
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:It would also nuke all the effort to fix the current site.
No it won't. It is just a hold over until someone makes a new skin for dokuwiki. It might even help prepare the skin.
AF wrote:At th veyr least fnordia make sure we have access to actually change the current site. Lack of FTP access make tobi cry.
The new site is nowhere near ready.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

I want my band-aid to have fireman sam on it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Hmm out of those... How about carebears?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I'll take one!

Seriously fnorda, I would love it if you went ahead and adapted rofls design.

AF, I know you do not want to see more work done for the version of the site you have but last I checked it was a fairly empty copy of dokuwiki with a basic skin, am I looking at the wrong version?
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

If the new site improves other things than the visual layout, I don't see why updating the current site with a new layout would kill it?

Anyway, here's what I ended up with today. I guess it would take a bit more effort to make the wiki look coherent again. Perhaps it should get a nicer design as well? Didn't apply the style to the forum either.

I have only seen source image stuff for the first version roflcopter posted, so I didn't try to implement the stuff between the image and the news either. A zip with the sliced version 2 would be nice I guess. :)

(That site uses a copy of the database btw, so no point in editing stuff there. I set the wiki to use phpbb accounts also, could be nice to lower the number of places you have to register accounts on the site.)
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Fnordia wrote:If the new site improves other things than the visual layout, I don't see why updating the current site with a new layout would kill it?

Anyway, here's what I ended up with today. I guess it would take a bit more effort to make the wiki look coherent again. Perhaps it should get a nicer design as well? Didn't apply the style to the forum either.

I have only seen source image stuff for the first version roflcopter posted, so I didn't try to implement the stuff between the image and the news either. A zip with the sliced version 2 would be nice I guess. :)

(That site uses a copy of the database btw, so no point in editing stuff there. I set the wiki to use phpbb accounts also, could be nice to lower the number of places you have to register accounts on the site.)
great job! the only thing is the color of the text, it hard to read(i mean the colored texts)
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Fnordia wrote:If the new site improves other things than the visual layout, I don't see why updating the current site with a new layout would kill it?

great ! at least it's not a fu**** blog !
smoth

Post by smoth »

it looks great so far fnordia, are you going to add more banners for other projects?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Satirik wrote:great ! at least it's not a fu**** blog !
You are so nieve.

A blog is a newspost. What we have on the front page is a blog.

Blogging Software allows random idiots to post emo shit all over the internet while having 0 technical knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with blogging software, in fact it can make a developers life much easier. Anything that allows you to submit a form and post as news qualifies as a blog. That doesn't mean that the entire site is a blog.

Lets use springinfo as an example. The only part of that site that is a blog is the news section. The rest of the pages are honest to goodness pages where the data is stored in mysql databases and then called.

PHPNuke by your definition is a blog. It is not specifically software meant for blogging but it does contain the elements of a blog with is necessary for almost ANY site to provide dynamic updates.

Also by your definition, an internet forum is nothing but a glorified set of blogs.

Get a freaking grip and learn wtf you are talking about.

@Fnordia
It's really nice looking, but unfortunately, it shows no real advantages over the current website other than being pretty. And might I add, that that frontpage looks nothing like roflcopters pretty psd.
Best thing to do would be to set that up within the new spring site tbh.

Could you please give us ftp access to this (the main spring) site? It's a little hard to fix things if you can't reach them. Parties that are in need of ftp access are myself and af, there may be a few others. Additionally, I just so happen to know php and mysql, but it's a little hard to use those skills when you don't have access to the source.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

smoth wrote:it looks great so far fnordia, are you going to add more banners for other projects?
yea something like 15 banners for the major mods would be cool
aegis

Post by aegis »

looks very nice
does the referenced imagerotate.php work properly?
I have one I wrote... it picks at random from a list of images (it can easily be modified to pick from all images in a subdirectory) and has everything properly set to not cache in browsers
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Fnordia, congratulations for taking the step of actually doing something. What you posted is an improvement over the current site and by my understanding at least wouldn't be hard to implement.

Not all improvements have to be a giant leap for mankind. Stick that on and it'll at least stop the site looking pants while all this talking about the Next Big Thing cycles round and round for the next few months.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Ah, nice to see the Swedish Yankspankers still rule with an iron fist. Get that shit on the main page.
aegis

Post by aegis »

http://nyspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Read_Me_First

white background on links section <_<
Gota

Post by Gota »

Why must itbe reminded that its in beta stage?it will always be under development.. what kind of advertising is it?just omit that part..all who need to know its under development and isnt noob friendly knows that already.

As a wesit ethat needs to attact players it should omit thebad parts and concentrate on the good ones.
We know spring rocks even with al lits problems..others dont...

Return to “General Discussion”