unknown-files.net = wtf?

unknown-files.net = wtf?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Slamoid

unknown-files.net = wtf?

Post by Slamoid »

HAI GUISE

I'm back after a 2 year break! And holy crap has the project grown. So here I am, trying to find all my favorite old maps, and I remember Unknown-Files.Net so I look, and I get 404'd! wtf ppl?

So what's the scoop guys? Where can I get some awesome maps, mods, and LUA scriptage?
jj

Re: unknown-files.net = wtf?

Post by jj »

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So, how are people who only play singleplayer supposed to know where to find maps? :?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

the canonical answer would be google. a user-friendly answer, I dunno...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Someone needs to make iamacup put up a "We're dead" page
smoth

Post by smoth »

I spent weeks adding shots to the maps on uf and it died QQ
caldera

Post by caldera »

Why doesnt the download section of this page contain any links to spring-content sites? would be useful for new players or ppl who usually play only single player
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Read topic when you join #main, there are many sites and automatic downloader.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

People who only play singleplayer don't go to main though, nor will they figure out cadownloader without someone telling them that.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

caldera

Post by caldera »

rattle wrote:Image
this is typical for spring. normally i would go to the download section to search files. here in spring i have to read forum stickies. I'm sure that 99.9% of new users have lost interest before even reading the forum...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We have a new site, and the download page is a wiki page yet nobody has put the links in there as suggested. There's nothing stopping one of you from going there and fixing it for when the new site is up or at least putting a reminder in for whoever designs that page.

http://newspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/download
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

caldera wrote:
this is typical for spring. normally i would go to the download section to search files. here in spring i have to read forum stickies. I'm sure that 99.9% of new users have lost interest before even reading the forum...
Uh? That topic doesn't exist here, fyi. I think that's what AF is suggesting, which of course has its flaws. Unless I'm missing something.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

ZellSF wrote:
caldera wrote:
Uh? That topic doesn't exist here, fyi. I think that's what AF is suggesting, which of course has its flaws. Unless I'm missing something.
Are you on something? Click the link.

[edit] If you have a suggestion for the site, add it to AF's site. AF's site is a wiki, so it's increadibly easy to modify and edit, and AF's site will be the one that will replace this site. We're not updating this design any more, all changes to the site and additions to the site must be done on AF's site.
caldera

Post by caldera »

I'd suggest to organize AF's download-wiki section as a central download portal for spring files which links to the many filehosters we have now.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Sadly that is beyond the means of a simple wiki.

If you are interested in coding a download portal site as a community effort I would be happy to indulge, I have many ideas and want to do something like that myself however I lack the time and resources to do it single handedly hence why darkstars file hosting has not got all the features JJs site has.
smoth

Post by smoth »

caldera wrote:Why doesnt the download section of this page contain any links to spring-content sites? would be useful for new players or ppl who usually play only single player
no idea, my guess would be that people are expected to sort through the wiki.

However, if you were interested:
http://cs.selu.edu/~ssmith/GUNDAM/

Also some of the spring projects have bothered to register on Moddb including pictures and info.
http://www.moddb.com/engines/54/spring

AF wrote:Sadly that is beyond the means of a simple wiki.
that is why I liked the other design in the webdesign contest. It had a front facing with links to the projects so people could explore all the stuff the engine has to offer.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:
AF wrote:Sadly that is beyond the means of a simple wiki.
that is why I liked the other design in the webdesign contest. It had a front facing with links to the projects so people could explore all the stuff the engine has to offer.
The other design was not a wiki, it was a static html mockup. Your also forgetting that the current frontpage has 2 large links on the frontpage, one leading tot he download page and one leading to the games page, and its the game page that does exactly what your talking about, only instead of 8 thumbnails there's a whole Section of the wiki available, entire screens worth of real estate.

What I said was that recreating Unknown Files inside a wiki page was not feasible, it would require custom php, and nobody has stepped up to rebuild UFs codebase for us to use.

I really don't think you've thought it through, or that your paying enough attention to the site itself and the threads involved. For example nobody has noticed the new front page I put up.
caldera

Post by caldera »

could you use joomla, af? we have it on spring-portal.com and its quite simple to add such download-features by installing already existing modules. there should be no need to code something manually...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

caldera wrote:
I've seen quite a few other (mod) projects which hide info like that in subforums...

It would be nice if you could make the thread a global announcment.

Return to “General Discussion”