To All Those Who Said Spring Is Dieing/Losing Players

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

This is pretty close to most I've ever seen.
AF
AI Developer

Re: To All Those Who Said Spring Is Dieing/Losing Players

Post by AF »

As I have always said the problem is not attracting new people, it is that of retainment.

However this has been helped by the efforts of people to change hwo things are done. Perceived activity behind the scenes for the next version and a slew of new game play such as CA chickens, and P.U.R.E and StarWars spoilers combined with CADownloader style tools are bucking the trend fo the last year or so.

So while I would expect we could even reach 360 if we play our cards right, we're unlikely to break 400, although I hope we do!

IIRC I have seen 321 players before ages ago, and there are currently 256 players in the lobby.
vraa

Post by vraa »

CA Downloader + Chicken helped me convinced 5 of my friends to play

I also play 1 v chicken a lot, it's entertaining for the RUSH :D

Spring needs to be able to auto dl maps and mods
CA Downloader is a good step in the direction, but it needs to be faster / easier
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I can't even keep CA updater running. Since every noob comes in and plays BA and vets are bored with BA, why dont they stop killing the game and update the mod for once.

Screw the balance, balance doesn't make a game fun, does it?
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

It does indirectly. Without balance, everyone just spams the overpowered units and the game degenerates.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

One screen shot proves nothing, we need a long term graph of players that shows at least 4 months. (3 months and under would have too much seasonal variation, a year or two years would be best since you could show year over year difference.) Frankly, I think Spring has been constant at its current size for the last two years. I've seen 300+ people on lots of times in the past few years, but I've never seen 400 or 500 on before.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

I'd say this is seasonal - People tend to have more spare time in the summer.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I still think that for long lasting spring survival we need to have mod-defineable lobby filters which can only be turned off via a menu. Otherwise smaller mods will never be able to establish self-perpetuating communities.
sallyxi

Post by sallyxi »

Teutooni,you know,i pretty agree with you,it`s rational.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

el_matarife wrote:One screen shot proves nothing, we need a long term graph of players that shows at least 4 months. (3 months and under would have too much seasonal variation, a year or two years would be best since you could show year over year difference.) Frankly, I think Spring has been constant at its current size for the last two years. I've seen 300+ people on lots of times in the past few years, but I've never seen 400 or 500 on before.
The point of the shot was to show we can still get up to the levels we used to, regardless of what some people have been saying.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I still think that for long lasting spring survival we need to have mod-defineable lobby filters which can only be turned off via a menu. Otherwise smaller mods will never be able to establish self-perpetuating communities.
+1
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Lets go Roobing the Hood- we could steal some Features from Longtimecomunity Games. Lets have RPG Coms you can take frome Game to Game, as long as you withdraw them through Gates before your Base is Scrapmetalled...

Or just some sort of Lobbyshowoff - your stats, a way that is more impressiv then stars for spectrating Games..
Or at least let us have slow decay to the Stars once you don´t play regulary...
We could have a Bot announcing InGameVictorys in main# and promoting the Players..

Or just a Trophyroom with some speared Comskulls, or how about those useless little Goodies Console Games have. "Congratulations" you did reach the Fleaoverkill" or- "allTreesReclaimedonRiverdale" - i mean- who here hasn´t launched the gardendwarf into high orbit in hl,too?

How about the Com atleast changing looks as he gains exp- here comes the Golden OvercomofDeath, even having a little useless Peweeparrot on the Shoulder..

We could have secrets Units you´ve got to unlock, things you have to collect (500 solars)...oh, and i summon the mighty Smoth +5, AFterall Eightballdonutshaphed Worlds should be a good idea... ;)

Outstanding Games are fortified against time..
smoth

Post by smoth »

Picasso has a point. This is something I would want to see.

For example a wins/losses on a per game basis.
-we have in the mod tdf a way to designate a game so for example gundam is still gundam CA is still CA etc..
-sure people might tamper with their stats, who cares.

Trophies would be cool.
-wins per faction. I.E. for every zeon win they would get a zeon logo, or for every core win they get a core logo.

having a section that when you double click a player you can view his/her stats in the lobby. Some achievements would be awesome, I would love to do all the icons for gundam's achievements if someone would just give me a way to do it.

these things give people ways to have bragging rights and it makes the player feel rewarded for his/her efforts... it would be great for retention even if it is a bit gimmicky.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Wins/losses could be stored on a server. If for some reason they don't want it on the official spring server, I'll host it. Lordmatt already has shell access, so he should be able to make it happen.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I would be VERY VERY careful about storing wins/losses. They did this in Dawn of War and it became impossible for half decent players ot get agame without being kicked for being too pro :-(
smoth

Post by smoth »

ok, then a player should be able to say if his/her stats are private.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

all of this is not too much different from ladder games: they are optional, they track wins/losses and they are kept offsite ...
EDIT: ladder stats http://springladder.no-ip.org/
smoth

Post by smoth »

don't the ladders require the usage of specific servers?

More detailed statistics are important also for those of us who want to check on things that we are developing. It gives us a window into the happenings on the servers.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

i never heard from the ladder in main#.. guess i am a little deaf ;)

Guess it is a nice thing, but not something a newby would go with out invitation, explanation, motivation...i was suggesting something easytouse built into the Lobby- and what Smoth suggested- the something should be Modable ...

At least let everybody have a ChickenKillscore in there Trophyroom - you wont be kicked from Games for beeing lowfatchickenwinged...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Lol, a bucket of chicken with a score on it..

Return to “General Discussion”