Confused Newbie - Page 5

Confused Newbie

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Confused Newbie

Post by Neddie »

neddiedrow wrote:I can't use keybinds, I can't use the keyboard to much effect without running into my carpal which is my only excuse for being worse than Sleksa.
Get surgery. :twisted: [/quote]

I have a GT, and why don't you pay for it? :wink:
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

neddiedrow wrote: I have a GT, and why don't you pay for it? :wink:
I'll do it for you, but keep in mind I'm only a med student (who hasn't even started classes yet). :P

The GT is better than the GTS, IIRC, so get that if you can. The GT was not out when I bought the GTS that I have. It was $280 when I bought it, so it is definitely not the most expensive GPU of the lot.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

the GT is better than the old GTS with funny numbers of RAM I forget (320 and 720 or something), the new style GTS with 512mb RAM is better than the GT.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

So confusing! I hadn't quite kept up with it because I haven't been in the market for that range GPU for a while. You could also step up to something in the 9 series, though I dunno how those play with spring.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

The GTS comes in three varieties, the G80 GPU 320 and 640MB versions, which are older and similar to the GTX, and the 512MB G82 version, which boasts better overall performance than the G80 but slightly inferior vram bandwidth - which basically only proves detrimental in games like Crysis at high resolution/antialiasing. The 9800GTX is becoming quite cheap, and pretty much blows them out of the water IIRC....I'd recommend it, but if you're going for a lower budget, go for an 8800GT and not a 9600. As for spring issues with the 9 series, they're probably the same as those of the 8 series, as the gpu architecture is identical.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

8800 gt cant go wrong

Image << max settings (small map tho but never drop below 30 with vsync on on big maps tons of units and stuff)
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I love how this thread went from people bragging about how l33t-g4m0r their control setup is to people bragging about how l33t-g4m0r their PC is.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Otherside wrote:8800 gt cant go wrong

Image << max settings (small map tho but never drop below 30 with vsync on on big maps tons of units and stuff)
Holy baby jesus, does that say 295 fps?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Tribulex wrote:
Otherside wrote:8800 gt cant go wrong

Holy baby jesus, does that say 295 fps?
i can get 295 fps if i zoom in on dirt too
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

thats the corner of the screen commander 5 peewees

and other stuff in view
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

I can get 2995 frames too if i photoshop them >_>
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

yes thats an evident photoshop :P

the text overlapping the fps number and the fps font being identical and the same color as the fps widget

my photoshop skills r insane.. :P
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Otherside wrote:yes thats an evident photoshop :P

the text overlapping the fps number and the fps font being identical and the same color as the fps widget

my photoshop skills r insane.. :P
Making the FPS widget just say 295 rather than being an actual FPS display is easy though.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

I am going to hard code my FPS widgets to say 300 fps so I can feel good about myself.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Is there a proper list of controls somewhere? I couldn't believe that keymap you get in spring (the picture of the keboard). For tetris that might work but when you've got some keys that do different things with 3 seperate key combos and lines all over the place like a curcuitboard it totally fails.. not to mention the irony that you need to know the key to bring up the keymap to find out the key to do it :roll: (what is it, F6 or something? any plans for a menu on escape?)

As with every other game I can remember playing, surely spring should have either (preferably both):
1. an in game (I guess the 'settings' program will do) list* of configurable key and mouse commands.

2. a list* of commands (generally on the back of the manual). Spring better just have it nice and big and obvious somewhere with plenty of links to it.

*Needs to be a list. A concise reference list with quick descriptions that can be printed out on one sheet in black and white would be great. If we need a 10 page document to describe everything then surely we need that as well. Thats the manual.

Manual + Quick reference
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Using_Orders A very useful page that everyone should read.

I think the bottom left panel tells you the hotkey for a command when you hover your mouse over it.

To reconfigure key's you'll have to edit uikeys.txt found it the Spring folder. Here's an example of unbinding/binding.

Code: Select all

unbind Any+c  controlunit
bind c capture
bind shift+c capture
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

ooh thx frog.

Maybe I'll compile a reference list from that (unless anyone knows of one?)

I couldn't find controls for placing markers anywhere. It took me days to find out by asking people and mostly they told me the wrong thing o_O. Do controls for this vary or something?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

momfreeek wrote:ooh thx frog.

Maybe I'll compile a reference list from that (unless anyone knows of one?)

I couldn't find controls for placing markers anywhere. It took me days to find out by asking people and mostly they told me the wrong thing o_O. Do controls for this vary or something?
Keyboard layouts vary. I'm surprised you couldn't think of this simple bit of logic yourself.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

ZellSF wrote:I'm surprised you couldn't think of this simple bit of logic yourself.
I was surprised none of 3 people could tell me the default. It was the mouse commands they kept telling me wrong, I got it was ` + something else from all 3.

Anyways, what do you think of my command reference (work in progress)?
http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Command_Reference
DemO

Post by DemO »

that's because it IS ` + double mouse 3 click

` being the key below ESC on a standard keyboard, used to bring up console in many FPS games. Also the key for ¬ (shift + `) and ¦ (ctrl+alt+`)

Return to “General Discussion”