no respect for spring - Page 13

no respect for spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Felix the Cat

Re: no respect for spring

Post by Felix the Cat »

It's not necessary to have your own lobby server, that's the point I've been emphasizing throughout this entire thread. If a lobby client is not obliged to show all information on the lobby server - a question that is still unanswered and will probably remain unanswered until someone goes and bugs Fnordia - then it would be easier to use the current lobby server and simply mod a lobby to only display your games, your chat, etc. For all intents and purposes it would be your own lobby, but without you actually having to set up a lobby server of your own.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Felix, what is the point then? Why would the developers of the lobby spend time adjusting the lobby in allowing mods to produce a 'virtual private lobby', when the functionality already exists within the lobby for mod makers to just take the current lobby and move it to their own server. Bam, they've got what they want.

If you're using the Spring server, I believe, you owe something to the community which you would otherwise effectively be 'mooching' off.
I believe that anyone using the central Spring server should partake in a connected community, so that someone sitting in #main with the default lobby downloaded from spring.clan-sy.com should be able to see their mod, and join their games. The custom lobby profile and channel filtering that I want does not preempt this.

I have explained repeatedly throughout this thread as to why I feel that keeping the community linked in that way (that is, noobs are filtered, but people who know what they are doing can join any mod they want from the same lobby) benefits everyone involved.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I'm with forb. Ban illegal IP users.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Forb and Spiked, together on this album, feat. MC AF, DJ Sir Nemo & Dirty Deci.
kiki

Post by kiki »

neddiedrow wrote:Forb and Spiked, together on this album, feat. MC AF, DJ Sir Nemo & Dirty Deci.
album art and lyrics plx.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Neddie wins the thread hands down :lol:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

kiki wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:Forb and Spiked, together on this album, feat. MC AF, DJ Sir Nemo & Dirty Deci.
album art and lyrics plx.
Naked neddie lying in rose petal with his hat on.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Now I'm scared... I don't want to think about Naked Ned every time I hear his voice samples, mmk?
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Zsinj, the point is that a lobby client has all of the information available to it to create a "virtual private lobby" by simply not displaying games and channels that you do not want displayed.

If I can get SpringLobby to compile in Visual Studio, I'll rig up a proof of concept if you'd like.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yes, and it would likely be just as easy to implement lobby filtering and a mod-set default channel based on a mod-supplied profile, someone just needs to get up and do it.

You don't need to prove anything, because I fundamentally disagree with what you're trying to achieve, irrespective of how easy it is to actually do it :P
Argh

Post by Argh »

Zsinj, the point is that a lobby client has all of the information available to it to create a "virtual private lobby" by simply not displaying games and channels that you do not want displayed.
Yes, and it would likely be just as easy to implement lobby filtering and a mod-set default channel based on a mod-supplied profile, someone just needs to get up and do it.
Um, aren't these the same things? They sure sound like the same things.

The only difference that I see, which is key, is that mods / games have to be able to cause the "virtual private lobby" to be activated...
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Yeah, they are the same things, which is why Zsinj is confusing the hell out of me.

I'm imagining that Game A comes as an installer which installs the game's user entry point, the game's content, and the Spring engine. The user enters the game as the user would enter nearly every other game in existence - the Start Menu, double-clicking on the desktop icon, or whatever weird shit you have to do on Linux. It loads your user entry point, which can then go to lobby or single-player.

[Disclaimer for Zsinj: I'm not trying to force you or anyone else to do anything other than what you want to do.]
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

I think the error you two are having is that it sounds like you, Felix, are suggesting that they make their own separate lobby program.

While what WZ wants is for someone to patch TASclient to allow a profile to be loaded at start-up that sets the lobby to filter out everything but mod XYZ and drop them in mod XYZ's channel. Eventually that profile could be used to include custom graphics for the lobby and other items...
Argh

Post by Argh »

While what WZ wants is for someone to patch TASclient to allow a profile to be loaded at start-up that sets the lobby to filter out everything but mod XYZ and drop them in mod XYZ's channel. Eventually that profile could be used to include custom graphics for the lobby and other items...
Yeah, that's what I'd like, pretty much...
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

EDIT: Yeah, J5mello has summed it up pretty well.

I was working on the assumption that when you were talking about adjusting the lobby, you were referring to this:
Felix the Cat wrote:IMO a successful non-*A Spring game will be one that, for all intents and purposes, is a separate game. The main lobby server can be used because it's possible to control the user's experience such that it appears that the user is playing on your own, game-exclusive lobby, which makes it easier to develop because you don't have to set up your own lobby. I don't even think a game's lobby should have a filter option - there's no reason for users of Game A to be able to choose to view games of Game B, C, and D, because they are not Game A and hence it defeats the entire point of Game A having its own, unique, independent user environment.
Which I strongly disagree with, and, as J5mello pointed out, would much rather see a lobby that allows default filtering (Set by the mod) to be turned off by the user.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I believe that either or both of our functionality requests would be more or less trivial to add, at least to SpringLobby which is the only lobby source I'm at all familiar with. I could probably do the logic in under an hour, and that includes smoke breaks (but doesn't include whatever amount of time it would take to get SpringLobby to compile in VS8, IIRC it took me about an hour with help from the SpringLobby devs last time I did it).

The actual controls I'd have to defer to someone familiar with the windowing system in question (in SpringLobby's case, wxWidgets).
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am back from my requested ban man, looks like this place is still rocking.

I would like to say that I agree with warlord z and swift, funneling players into a game/mod/whatever specific chat helps. Along with hiding the other content package stuff. The chief complaint I have heard from players is that they find getting gundam started up is a bit difficult as there are soo many options. Controlled user experience is important because it will help simplify the player experience.

If I may make a minor comment to Zwzsg, I never started a witchhunt for TA. I even made a model for the TA guys. I have only ever had a problem with how the ta content was acquired as it always felt stolen.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in after reading this thread. I really hope the BA/CA drama stops. The same thing happened when AA's popularity was slipping. Honestly, I do not believe either mod should be at war with each other. They both fit very different roles.

Return to “General Discussion”