FPS mode help for a Spring lover?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

I've been playing Spring a LOT since I found it over 1 1/2 years ago and I've loved everything about it. I especially find the option to command a unit very inviting. But, I had a couple of questions about it. Is there any way I could turn down the mouse sensitivity while commanding units? I find myself just barely moving my mouse to the side and I do a full 360 degree rotation. Also, is it possible to turn off the "locking onto units" function? I try to shoot at an enemy from behind my units and I just shoot at my units because it keeps locking onto them instead of the enemy. Not complaining, but I was just wondering. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Happy Gaming! 8)
LathanStanley

Re: FPS mode help for a Spring lover?

Post by LathanStanley »

the FPS mode has not recieved much attention.. :( ever...
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Now this is something worth suggesting in the "Development" section of the forums. They are running out of ideas over there!
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

However, it happens to be a huge drawcard.

When PCGamer interviewed me, I gave them a 10 page response detailing all sorts of information. While they definitely printed some of the best parts, they culminated the article with a reference I made to being able to FPS control units and aircraft. While to anyone serious about RTS's it is only a gimmick, to passing users, it's a massive drawcard.

For example, since a few versions ago, almost all of the aircraft in SWSpring are totally broken in FPS mode. Instead of flying, they bounce along the ground when controlled in FPS. This makes this function useless for us - which is a huge shame, because being able to take over a TIE fighter and dogfight Xwings in SWS would be a huge way to draw in potential players.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I have no issues fpsing gunships, fighters, nor bombers, except that I can't make bombers fire.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Which mod, lurker? Our aircraft worked fine until a version change (I forget which) that broke the occasional one randomly, and now pretty much all of them are broken.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

yup, from watching people play i must agree fps mode is much more important than you think for making people love the engine.

planes look silly stuck on the side of screen and jerking around.. can you smooth things out, allow weapon selection (?!) etc pwetty please.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Need a better FPS-oriented mod to properly foster development. Is anybody working on War Evo anymore?
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

Wow, I didn't know so many people actually noticed the FPS mode. I've always dreamed of an RTS in which I could take control of some of my cooler units, and Spring fulfilled that. But, anyways, maybe that mode will be smoothed out. That'd be so nice.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I've tried both Evolution and CA.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

If you were a true Spring lover, you wouldn't care about FPS. Spring's all about RTS!

Though I agree it'd be nice if the lingering FPS mode shortcomings were fixed
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

FPS is more often used for exploits than anything else.
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

Well now, that comment wasn't too helpful. I'm very aware that Spring is an RTS... and a damn good one for that matter, but I've yet to find a really good RTS that also lets you be on the ground with your units. I like both genre's and a mix of the two is totally awesome. Oh, and exploits? I've never seen and/or used any but maybe if the FPS mode got refned a bit, exploits wouldn't exist... or not. One never knows. (And I've just come to the realization that I need to also look at posts harder as I couldn't see the small sentence after your statement. ><)
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

It's the truth, whether you like it or not. I agree it would be nice if FPS were improved, but there are some more important things that should be worked on, like making campaigns easy to make and run.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

LardLad3545 wrote:I've yet to find a really good RTS that also lets you be on the ground with your units. I like both genre's and a mix of the two is totally awesome.
Try Savage & Natural Selection. (There are others but these are the two from the top of my head.)
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

Oh yeah, I know there are larger issues that should, with out a doubt, be delt with way before improving the FPS aspect. I just felt like sharing my thoughts. And I looked at Natural Selection. It looks pretty sweet but not exactly my cup of tea. Savage on the other hand... I'll be looking into that. :-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Personally, I still think that we need a 3rd-person-POV, like Freelancer's setup, where you can either always be behind the current axis of motion, and the mouse directs the weapons systems that can aim forwards, or you can switch to a "turret view", where you can no longer control the vehicle's current direction, but can swoop around, controlling all of the turrets that can currently bear on the target. Just having the first part would really change stuff- among other things, I could make a game where there were guns only players could use, that would be more accurate than computer-controlled guns...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

+1 to what argh said.

In Evolution I am working on a new tech tree that would benefit greatly from ppl being able to fps the units, so as of 4 days ago FPS started becoming rather important to me.

A starlancer (the 3rd person one not sure exactly what it was called) type of setup would be great, also if the camera in true fps mode was by defailt locked to the turret vector then a hotkey to view in all directions would be awesome.

One of the problems with fpsing planes is the fact that flying and aiming them is 100% fail because the camera is not locked to the vector of the plane.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yeah, a 3rd person view would be sweet - but I think it may necessitate needing a 'reverse' function.

Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed if a few exploits (As long as they aren't woefully overpowered) appear via FPS mode in my mod. It encourages people to use the function, and people have to decide "can I afford to take my eyes off the battle in order to give my forces here an extra advantage, etc". I mean, it would be reasonably easy to allow a way for a modmaker to switch off the FPS mode for his mod if he wanted it off.

I agree that making campaigns easier to make would be a great innovation to Spring - but here is something that is already implemented that is half-completed in some areas, and in others entirely broken. I realise that it was just put in when SJ (IIRC) got bored one day - but that just goes to show that it probably only takes a few days work by another dev just to bring it up to speed again.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Ive actually managed to get into a third person perspective while FPS'ing once. I was thinking 'Man this is awesome why cant i do this without sploits?'

We really do need an FPS RTS in active development though to foster this. Com Shooter exists but its more of a gimmick mod or poor mans FPS than a real FPS/RTS hybrid.

In War Evo, FPS is prettymuch pointless, it restricts your abilities too much and makes your aiming a lot worse.

A proper mod with a few, buildable units, something like Return Fire perhaps, would probably be best.

For what its worth, i wanted to make t3 in CA 'FPS units', that are designed specifically to be FPS'ed by the player. I got too much opposition from the rest of the dev team though, lamers have no idea how awesome it would be and how much of a drawcard it would make for the mod.

Return to “General Discussion”