PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring - Page 3

PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: PCGamer Magazine Coverage - Spring/Star Wars Spring

Post by smoth »

Gnome wrote:Awesome at not reading any post in the thread.
+1
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Gnome wrote:Awesome at not reading any post in the thread.
Did read it. Wasn't SWS featured in that article? It was in the Supreme Commander issue, it talked about SWS and AA didn't it? Maybe it was more like 2 years ago. Sorry, my memory is worthless, I just remember I heard a lot about SWS and that article. Maybe we're thinking of two different ones.

Regardless, it still seems legally risky to have a full-page spread on something that is legally questionable which runs on an engine that includes content which is illegal outright to distribute. I'm all for SWS though, I hope there aren't any problems with Lucasarts because all I've seen and heard is pretty much unprecedented as far as Star Wars mods go.

Hey anyway this is pretty big news, why don't one of you fellas post it in the Community News thing, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting a copy any magazine with a story like this.

edit:

Apologies, apologies, sorry, didn't mean to touch a sore spot, I remember now that the discussion was about SWS having NOT been mentioned. So good for you and I hope it's not the last time.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

If lucas doesn't S&D I don't think we'll have any problems at all.

Atari isn't going to suddenly start caring about spring way more then they ever have in the past. And we've got everything in place to entirely remove any and all atari content.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

All I know is, big magazine articles have a way of attracting copyright owners' attention.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Well, as I said earlier, lucasarts has a history of being very accommodating to mods, even when they directly compete with their own games - which our mod does not (no SW RTS's on the shelves or planned currently).
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Yeah... I suppose you have a point there. Most SW RTS are space-based, too. Best of luck to you anyway, I'm glad to see your team's work getting the attention it deserves. If a hacked-together thing like AA gets coverage you certainly should.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Thanks, and no offense taken.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

You should write a short letter to the editor/addendum including spring.clan-sy.com for publication next month.

Alternately I have some web space you can temporarily use for a site until a permanent solution is found (where Spring:1944 is currently hosted </shameless advertising>), I'm a clueless newbie webmaster however so you'd have to set up whatever redirects/DNS stuff needs to be set up, or tell me how to. Only thing is I can't afford to pay mega-cash for hueg bandwidths so I don't think I'd be able to host actual downloads.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Thanks for the offer, Felix. UF has been pretty good up until now, we just really need it to come back up. For a temporary service we can always head back to TAU for dev purposes if we need too - but if UF doesn't come back online soon, we're going to have to seriously consider getting our own webspace soon.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Anyone know on average how much bandwith a month the UF spring server uses for downloads and crap? I may be able to get a server up for the community, but no promises.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

yeay, first time for any of my maps to be printed in a magazine 8) well that i know about at least

if george lucas gets pissed off and fucks this up i will be pissed. i think it has the potential to bring a shitload of new people to spring.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That's right, you did Tabula. I love that map, it's got a nice open space for big battles, pretty background scenery and interesting red lighting. The only thing it really needs is a decent skybox - the sky can at times be so ugly that I have to avoid showing it in images - unlike say, Smoth's Islands in War map, where I will actively try to feature the gorgeous skybox in screenshots.

IIRC smoth made a number of skyboxes which he released that you could easily edit with a reddish hue and use on that map, if you ever plan to re-release.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I offered web space and bandwidth a few days ago in a pm to gnome btu have gotten no reply since. I can sort out anything and everything needed for you should you decide to take the offer be it temporarily or permanently.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Thanks AF, the offer is not unappreciated. We're just considering all our options at this point - and silently hoping that cuppy returns.

I'm also looking into what sort of hosting I can purchase (in order to keep things totally in-house), but it's difficult looking for Aussie hosting from South Africa.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

No offense but cuppy is very unreliable, if you want something done, do it yourself, as the saying goes..
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

That's a great offer by AF... why don't you take him up on that and then also maintain unknown files if and when cuppy returns? With two hosts it wouldn't cause so many problems when one goes down.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Indeed, my offer has no bandwidth limits or adverts, and file space shouldn't be a problem either, and I can get you full ftp/sftp/svn/shell/mysql/cgi etc, the only thing I ask is that it actually gets used!

I've paid for hosting and what I'm using doesn't even register as 1% despite having given access to the TA3D people and some others. So its no burden to host sites for the spring community.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Out of curiosity how much bandwidth did UF actually consume per month?
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

I would like to know the same as Relative, and AF i did notice today you host TA3D they seem to be making good use of it :)
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

clericvash wrote:No offense but cuppy is very unreliable, if you want something done, do it yourself, as the saying goes..
He was actually very reliable until he started at the university... Eh, I can't really blame him. I as well would rather be out partying rather than maintaining a file hosting website...

But yeah, that being said.. I still have a thermal detonator with cuppeh's name on it! :D

Return to “General Discussion”