when intolerance slowly rot the game ...

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

maeglin

Post by maeglin »

It's not the first time that i see something like this. I know it can seem minor, but i'm sure that it will get worse if there is no reaction against shit like that. It will slowly slip to racism !

That's the poisoned present of satirik's client ! What is the interest to show country flag in the battle screen ? Nothing except roting people relations !

Battles of 'white vs Ok we get the point, all-out racial slurs are unnecessary' or 'wasp vs latinos' soon on ta spring ...
Foxomaniac

Re: when intolerance slowly rot the game ...

Post by Foxomaniac »

Image related.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I agree in principle that this stuff is wrong.....

however in my experience france is on a short list of the most annoying nationalities on the internet...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Come on now, Satirik has done excellent work on TASclient and I am glad he included the French flag next to his name so I can kick him out of my battles because je suis desole he will just surrender when the going gets tough. Just kidding.

Seriously though, it's well accepted that only intolerance against Americans is valid and to a lesser extent against Canadians (because Canada is America's hat). :mrgreen:
Relative

Post by Relative »

The flag thing is standard in all the lobbies, not just TASclient. Also, I have never heard anyone suggest the exclusion of people based on nationality. At worst its a phatic talking point in the chat room.

Plus, who cares about the French, they are uptight assholes anyway :P
Last edited by Relative on 07 Feb 2008, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Yeah country flag sux...im usually the only israeli online especially with a silver star so i cant smurf no more...
Tbh i really dont understand why anyone would want to have a country flag in a game lobby.
I think it should be an option to show it or not and if that is hard to implement than just remove it..seriously what is it for??

I think all the lobbies i have seen had an option where yu could choose what details about urself to show or not.
The only things that are to be left are those absolutly needed for the modders and a country flag is not one of them.
eriatarka

Post by eriatarka »

Actually I like it, goes to show the diversity of the community. Discrimination is not the flag's fault...
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Try searching google for french military victories and youll understand mr.Robzor's game description :D D: D: D: :dd :D :D
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i didn't know there were people reading descriptions
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Satirik wrote:i didn't know there were people reading descriptions
Yeah honestly they are so irrelevant, you already have the mapname (thus the # of teams), the number of players and the mod. I like to put funny phrases in the description to see if anyone even notices.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

There have been country flags in TASclient since before Satirik even began coding it.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

maeglin wrote:Image
You know everything has a reason... its not just people are evil or stuff like that...

I know the reason which leaded that guy to create such battle description.

Reason is unfortunately that the *some amount* of *some country* players cant english, so its an agony to communicate with them. I clearly remember when i started internet gaming, that i faced this problem many times. And it annoyed the hell out of me.

Of course its not good to discriminate any country, would be better to make english test, and kick those who answer wrong or dont answer...

Would you like to play a teamgame where your *some country* allies arent responding to your messages and keeps talking *some language* and refuses speaking english, even if they could?

Fortunately i havent faced this problem many times in spring community. Just few times in few months, and usually those games ends so fast i forget them... and why they ends so fast... :wink: (not because of kicking or my bad gaming skills :-) )

About the country flag, i like to see where people are from, i dont kick people because of flag, i dont think people are worser because of flag, only what they do in game or in chat, is what matters to me.

About the battle description thingy, i almost never read those descriptions, and im shocked to hear someone actually reads those... :shock: i wouldnt care less if they were removed, its actually just waste of seconds to write those. And waste of space in the list.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I dont see why u need to force people to announce where they are from..i think it should be a choise like any other info about urself ....
players have other players nick and rank..that should be enough...everything else is for the channel mods.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

French people in spring tend to come in three flavours:

The zwzsg style people who you would think are American or British until you see their flag, I use zwzsg as an example because he has wonderful English but he sticks out in my mind as French for some reason, probably because he is but I'm not 100% sure about nationalities other than my own.

The French people who speak French, even if they can speak English, and even if there are mostly English speakers in the battle who don't understand a word of French. Jacques Chirac storming out of an EU meeting when a French representative gave a speech in English comes to mind.

Then there's the French people who try to speak english but don't get anywhere, and end up annoying or confusing everybody, e.g. emmanuel.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

fREE eMMANUEL!!!11
I2:Isaacment_Day

Post by I2:Isaacment_Day »

Machiosabre wrote: in my experience france is on a short list of the most annoying nationalities on the internet...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I love the flags, it serves as a lingual indicator as well as a fuzzy-happy ultracommunity thing. I enjoy seeing people from multiple nations brought together.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

TradeMark wrote:
maeglin wrote:Image
Reason is unfortunately that the *some amount* of *some country* players cant english, so its an agony to communicate with them. I clearly remember when i started internet gaming, that i faced this problem many times. And it annoyed the hell out of me.
so i speak spanish german and russian but not english but i have to speak in english because you said so ?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wow... I'm Canadian, so I'm supposed to be racist against French (at least the ones who live in Quebec) But seriously... don't you think that's going a bit WAY too far?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Satirik wrote:so i speak spanish german and russian but not english but i have to speak in english because you said so ?
In this particular case... pretty much, ya. We require english to be spoken on these forums as well, because this is an english forum, our moderators are primarily english speakers, and we can't moderate most other languages effectively. I don't think it's wrong for a game host to want english spoken in their games for virtually the same reason, as well as just so team communication is acctually possible. If it became epidemic to the point where french people who couldn't speak english could not find a game to play I would do something about it. But for 1-2 game hosts to do this is not a problem. There are legitimate reasons, and ultimately a gameroom is a private property owned by the host of that game.

That being said, I think singling out french people is definitely sketchy... Once again though... I don't really feel this is epidemic, we ban for racism if we feel it's sincere, so movements like this really aren't going to catch on.

Return to “General Discussion”