Adding minigames to the lobby

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Post by Gota »

Adding minigames to spring's lobbies.
I was thinking why not add minigames into the lobby(any lobby).
Games like chess checkers backgamoon.
Something you can do while waiting for a good game or while chatting about somthing.
I am sure there are open source projects from which we can boroow some code.
manored

Re: Adding minigames to the lobby

Post by manored »

Sounds fun... Im curious to see if I am good at chess or not :)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Sounds dumb, just play a separate game or play more Spring.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Many Games could be played entirely text base "White King E2 to E3".
Gota

Post by Gota »

you could even play them while spectating a spring game..
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

spring itself is poorly supported by the lobby, fundamental functions such has loading savegames is fully supported by the engine but not by the lobby

any efford wasted in adding silly minigames would be spent better in making spring/the lobby better ...

if spectating annoys you, join another game?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Brain demage if all developers would work on what is most pressing that would be awsome but since spring is an open source game people contribute where they want and not where contribution is most needed.
I raised this idea cause maybe there is someone that will think this idea is worth his time.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

I used to have a bot that enabled you to play Z-Machine text-adventures in the lobby. It was fun.

And before you ask, no I don't have the source any more and I'm not going to code it again.
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Instead of some insignificant chess minigame in the lobby, you could make actual playable chess in Spring through lua.

And no, you wouldn't be able to find an AI capable of playing it. :roll:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Archangel of Death wrote:Instead of some insignificant chess minigame in the lobby, you could make actual playable chess in Spring through lua.

And no, you wouldn't be able to find an AI capable of playing it. :roll:
In fact, there is already a map and mod with the needed models out there (created "mostly" by me), if anyone wants to LUA it up I would be happy to let you do so.
Masure

Post by Masure »

I don't understand people who need game integrated in lobby or ingame via lua.

Why don't you use free existing multiplayer minigames ? Our current OS (win or nux) can manage to have multiple windows at the same time , don't you know ?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

GUI widget extensions for AFLobby are planned as part of the galactic warfare framework clean-up. Any mini-games can be implemented using that.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Gota wrote:Brain demage if all developers would work on what is most pressing that would be awsome but since spring is an open source game people contribute where they want and not where contribution is most needed.
I raised this idea cause maybe there is someone that will think this idea is worth his time.
The point of an open source game is that you contribute what you want and, if the developers accept it, it becomes part of the game.

Two important points there.

1) Open source means that you code what you want to contribute - you don't whine and complain when you have a suggestion that nobody wants to implement.

2) The developers have to accept your contribution, in the case of random bloats in the lobby I would hope that the lobby developer (Satirik) would suggest that you create your own lobby that supports these bloats rather than asking for them to be included in the official lobby.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Felix the Cat wrote:2) The developers have to accept your contribution, in the case of random bloats in the lobby I would hope that the lobby developer (Satirik) would suggest that you create your own lobby that supports these bloats rather than asking for them to be included in the official lobby.
AF wrote:GUI widget extensions for AFLobby are planned as part of the galactic warfare framework clean-up. Any mini-games can be implemented using that.
When is the AFLobby is released and if this functionality is indeed possible I would very much like to see a few mini-games in the lobby. This would be a boneyards/PheonixWorX style thing right AF? and include the Glest matching when it's ready? It would be like having out Very Own "Stardock Central" or "Steam"... we could even include forum browsing integration and such!!
Gota

Post by Gota »

The more things a lobby includes in itself the better.
Would be great to merge glest community and the spring community.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AFLobby glest integration was completed a while ago, compiling the modified glest for windows is the current roadblock.
Gota

Post by Gota »

But let me get it straight.
Wen all is finished and working spring players and glest players using aflobby will share the same lobby and chat?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Depends on wether it becomes popular in the glest community.

AFLobby versus the glest IRC channel wars lol
ianmac

Post by ianmac »

If you want a code that you can use, ask The Universal people here.
> http://www.theuniversal.net/
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Interesting idea... But the "effort could be better spent on improving the client" comment is right on point..

Return to “General Discussion”