we need a new "reputation" measure besides "rank" - Page 3

we need a new "reputation" measure besides "rank"

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: we need a new "reputation" measure besides "rank"

Post by KDR_11k »

Anything that relies on votes is basically making Tired a moderator.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I would consider this for a small, or possibly private, community. However, even on Caydr's site we saw how horrid this was in a matter of weeks. Moderators, Administrators and Content Developers get ripped by detractors, and the best trolls get sycophants to pump their statistics.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I agree with this idea as long as only members of top level clans will be allowed to change people's reputation. That way, LCC as the largest clan will become the power bloc in Spring. We can even browbeat the few moderators who aren't already in our clan into being assimilated, thus ensuring that there is no-one to contest our absolute dominance over the community.

Today the Spring lobby, tomorrow the world!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If you keep that up, Raptor, I might just have to go over to the dark side. [WarC] and [XHC] can still challenge you!
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

neddiedrow wrote:I might just have to go over to the dark side.
What do you mean? WE are the dark side! :twisted:

Anyway, like many have said before, the spring community is small enough to have a reputation system based on natural conversation and memory. There's no need for a massively abusable vote system. As for a mathematical reputation algorithm, human interaction is based on the reasons behind actions, rather than actions themselves. No algorithm has ever been able to decipher a meaning behind words.

Frankly, an integrated reputation system, vote or some other way, is just a bad idea imho. It would lead to a popularity contest at best, and be totally disregarded or abused at worst.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

KingRaptor wrote:That way, LCC as the largest clan will become the power bloc in Spring. We can even browbeat the few moderators who aren't already in our clan into being assimilated, thus ensuring that there is no-one to contest our absolute dominance over the community.

Today the Spring lobby, tomorrow the world!
How many times have I told you not to discuss our plans in public? :evil:

:P
manored

Post by manored »

We just need a way to keep people from "disguising" thenselfes. Maybe a system where you can mark people and if they enter the lobby with other account you can see that its then in another account through ip...
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

manored wrote:We just need a way to keep people from "disguising" thenselfes. Maybe a system where you can mark people and if they enter the lobby with other account you can see that its then in another account through ip...
. . .

!smurfs

Why did it get removed in the first place? To protect privacy? :roll:
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

kiki wrote:Sleska's insensitivity for anyone and anything really bothers me. We should have reputations that are moderator controlled.
Moderators arent bots, they have emotions, they have prejudice(note, not meaning this word just negatively here) over people, they have assumptions over some people's behaviour.

That way, since the moderators let Sleska break forum rules, they could easily rep him down to make up for the fact that he is not banned.
what forum rules does sleSka break?~~

Woo, i have negative reputation points, i will now "behave" properly by cheering up for retarded ideas and people telling other people what to do and raging when some people object to gain more reputation points.
Also, nice helpful people, or people who are just awesome (forb, smoth, arg, agorm to name just a FEW Dont get mad at me if I did not mention you) could get repped up by mods. Since mods are made mods due to their maturity to handle power thoughtfully and carefully, they should be in charge of rep. Separately (or maybe not separately), rank should be determined by ladder matches and such.
zZz
A. We're never ever going to display a user voted popularity ranking. It's so massively abusable it's laughable. Get over it.

B. It's not possible to evaluate player ethical performance by mathematical function. Ethics are situational, so the altorithm would just break every time someone did something outside of the programmed ideal situation.

C. Both systems, even when working properly, create more work for moderators.
The gods have spoken.
Anything that relies on votes is basically making Tired a moderator.
who made peet mod! :[
I agree with this idea as long as only members of top level clans will be allowed to change people's reputation. That way, LCC as the largest clan will become the power bloc in Spring. We can even browbeat the few moderators who aren't already in our clan into being assimilated, thus ensuring that there is no-one to contest our absolute dominance over the community.
The X-tremely handsome War goats will prevail over LCC
tombom

Post by tombom »

Teutooni wrote: . . .

!smurfs

Why did it get removed in the first place? To protect privacy? :roll:
Most likely a Springie server wasn't around to answer. But yeah, betalord found out the client was sending out its IP to too many people and stopped it, mucking up !smurfs.
I2:Isaacment_Day

Post by I2:Isaacment_Day »

BaNa wrote:gah why turn this into a dickwaving contest. Our community is small enough that people have reputations anyway, you dont have to press a -1 button to vote that someone is an asshole, just remember it.
ya

i rly just look at peoples names, then their tag, then their rank and base my opinion of their skill and actions on that.

If we had 10x the people my system wouldnt work, but we dont
tombom

Post by tombom »

kiki wrote:Sleska's insensitivity for anyone and anything really bothers me. We should have reputations that are moderator controlled. That way, since the moderators let Sleska break forum rules, they could easily rep him down to make up for the fact that he is not banned. Also, nice helpful people, or people who are just awesome (forb, smoth, arg, agorm to name just a FEW Dont get mad at me if I did not mention you) could get repped up by mods. Since mods are made mods due to their maturity to handle power thoughtfully and carefully, they should be in charge of rep. Separately (or maybe not separately), rank should be determined by ladder matches and such.
It reads like you want moderators to favour certain people because you like them and disfavour certain people because you don't like them. Don't backseat mod. Also naming a few people who you think are awesome is pretty silly if you're trying to make a post that people take seriously.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

BaNa wrote:gah why turn this into a dickwaving contest. Our community is small enough that people have reputations anyway, you dont have to press a -1 button to vote that someone is an asshole, just remember it.
He speaketh the truest words, listen to his wisdom you must.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Foxomaniac wrote:
He speaketh the truest words, listen to his wisdom you must.
^Yoda sentence inversion

My suggestion was just a way to make a rep system work well. That does not mean a rep system is good or appropriate.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Y'all know I don't play so this is only marginally valid... but why would you need this kind of thing?

To avoid playing with winer babies and grievers and sub-n00bs?

Basically the problem is that this is the INTERNET. If you want to avoid those people you will have to look elsewhere.

For the most part, no matter how much a player has played, how many people like/dislike them there is no guarantee of a good game.

Like people have been saying, you don't need some kind of measurement to determine if someone is an [expletive deleted]-wipe... if you want you can make your own personal spreadsheet to monitor people you like/don't like playing with... I've done this before myself in other situations. You could also try to make outside contact with the users you DO like and arrange to meet in the servers for a private game.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Play with people u know in irl. Or would that be to shameful? :wink:
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

SinbadEV wrote: if you want you can make your own personal spreadsheet to monitor people you like/don't like playing with... I've done this before myself in other situations.
I hope those situations were quite different.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Boirunner wrote:
SinbadEV wrote: if you want you can make your own personal spreadsheet to monitor people you like/don't like playing with... I've done this before myself in other situations.
I hope those situations were quite different.
Namely playing Magic the Gathering through free online software (listing people I liked playing with and people who had rage-quited on me) and online browser based war games where I listed people who attacked me and lost so I could attack them back... and I used a text file at the time.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Just wanted to point out that this was in the General Discussion forum not the Off Topic one...

Return to “General Discussion”