TA mods are becoming toyish?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

You agree? If so do you think its a good or a bad thing?
My opinion is that TA based mods should retain a more realistic look
unlike some effects i have seen in complete annihilation for example.
discuss.
AF
AI Developer

Re: TA mods are becoming toyish?

Post by AF »

Its hard to look realistic when we have so few good modellers at work and lots of models that are still in the 1997 era.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I think it's a good thing. However, if you find them too flashy, too toyish, then ask Argh his effects, they are nice and fairly realistic:

manored

Post by manored »

As long as there be consistence (not real and toyish mixed) its fine by me :)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

IMO Argh's effects look cartoony.
Orakio

Post by Orakio »

I imagine some part of it is simply due to the fact that spring doesn't support the quality of textures and effects that games like supreme commands do.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Supreme commander is far from realistic, they've made concious efforts to move towards a particular style.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Quality of effects in SUPCOM? Don't make me laugh. Company of Heroes, yeah, probably hard to impossible but Supcom? Supcom is mostly white flashes, even the nuke looks like crap (big white flash with a dark sphere rising from it).
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

since when anyone should listen to YAN?

Srsly.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We have the power, either way, I figure you're allowed to pursue your own artistic desires.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

By the power of Grayskull...
neddiedrow wrote:We have the power
manored

Post by manored »

neddiedrow wrote:We have the power, either way, I figure you're allowed to pursue your own artistic desires.
Unleash you are planning to put a santa claus hat on BAs commy... what the mod devs did :( I find it anyoing ever time I play... :)
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

manored wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:We have the power, either way, I figure you're allowed to pursue your own artistic desires.
Unleash you are planning to put a santa claus hat on BAs commy... what the mod devs did :( I find it anyoing ever time I play... :)
a: don't even go near christmas comet then :)

b: turn off LUPS (f11) that makes the hats go bye-bye!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

they do look too toyish, fix them.

ps. on a serious note

the overall game look in 1997 was way more realistic, probably because sprites were used so much. People think so highly of the 3d polygons we have nowadays but sprites really did look good in their own way.

I think spring has too clean of a look compared to then.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Sprites tended to be animated in much more compelling and effective ways. When 3D is WELL animated it's a great platform, but frankly, animation quality > item shape realism. Things like waving capes and what not were much more convincing and easy done with sprites than polygonal modeling can handle.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

SwiftSpear wrote:Sprites tended to be animated in much more compelling and effective ways. When 3D is WELL animated it's a great platform, but frankly, animation quality > item shape realism. Things like waving capes and what not were much more convincing and easy done with sprites than polygonal modeling can handle.
Indeed. This man speaks my language.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Besides animations being better, they also had the advantage that you never saw the horrible models or holes and used very nice effects.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I like the toyish look of CA. Machios loadscreens are hilarious and his little cartoons are great, and the TA units were always CUUUUUUUUUUUTE. I mean look at the hammer. He waddles. CUUUUTE.

You could almost draw anime eyes on most of the OTA units. OTA was not realistic, it was iconic and cartoonish, with exaggerated features and cute little 'weee' noizes.

Machios cartoons take that to another degree, and honestly, i think its the perfect kind of tongue-in-cheek style that you rarely see in 'serious' commercial games.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

KDR, while generally I agree with you, I thought I'd correct you in that in SupCom, only one side has the white flash with the rising sphere for their nuke. Each faction has a different nuke explosion, and the UEF one is a fairly standard mushroom cloud, IIRC.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:KDR, while generally I agree with you, I thought I'd correct you in that in SupCom, only one side has the white flash with the rising sphere for their nuke. Each faction has a different nuke explosion, and the UEF one is a fairly standard mushroom cloud, IIRC.
Yeah, I don't think I've used non-UEF nukes since the Beta, the game just slows down way too much by the time T2 is reached so I can't be arsed to wait for a nuke silo to finish building.

Return to “General Discussion”