Free, licenseless mods? - Page 3

Free, licenseless mods?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

I had an idea for a mod...

Post by SinbadEV »

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1060

It's not quite a "design doc" so much as "a big ugly bunch of crazy ideas", but if I keep poking at it it could be a design doc... I should do that...
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

Somebody could do a mod where the quality between units changes rapidly, for example. there are 5 levels and 10 level 1 units equals to 1 level 2 unit etc.

The size of the units would get bigger and bigger same way.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

You know what... I think those TLL units look pretty sweet and nominally well developed... I think we should take them, replace the proprietary sounds and textures (either make new ones or steal Mynn ones)... and add them as a third race... then work on one more race... That Way we can work on one at a time... eventually phasing out the need for the classic TA armies...

We should however keep the TA armies in some form because we all fell in love with them in the first place... but have the "you have to own TA to get these armies" warning on the page still
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

SinbadEV wrote:You know what... I think those TLL units look pretty sweet and nominally well developed... I think we should take them, replace the proprietary sounds and textures (either make new ones or steal Mynn ones)... and add them as a third race... then work on one more race... That Way we can work on one at a time... eventually phasing out the need for the classic TA armies...

We should however keep the TA armies in some form because we all fell in love with them in the first place... but have the "you have to own TA to get these armies" warning on the page still
that would be good

to be honest i love TA so much, it just sucks to give them up cuz of legal reasons..
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

how does the TA units make their plasma?

http://www.bulletinboardforum.com/grape ... htning.php

:D There must be huge amount of grapes in each of tanks!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I HAVE to try that.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

-refrains on being distracted from the main topic-

I can always make some high-poly models for this spring :)

I could even make my own custom textures and all that...

Getting a hold of sounds would be hard.

Yes, Estrella.Demon.nl is a dutch site owned by a dutchman from Rotterdam, however, I run the message boards and most of the news posts on the site since he is not very active, I don't have his phone number but you can always call me and i'll let you know what I know.

I'm dutch too, I live in Den Helder.

TA:World Domination is my T.C., it's based on modern warfare so there is no IP rights being violated as far as I know.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I had contact with Chris Jorgensen about Mynn.
See my last post in this topic.
His site is not stating that Mynn is GPL, I'm more or less waiting for that.
Mynn has some custom sounds.
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

If I had to pick any race to port, it would be TLL. Shame the last news post was earlier than this time last year. Any news from M3G about TLL-porting?
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

If I had time, I would make up a design doc...
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

@CaptainExo: I'm mostly intrested in Mynn for legal reasons.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Has anyone had contact with M3G about releasing his original content under the GPL? After that it will be straightforward to replace the cavedog content.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

G/E/M, as far as I know, should be copyright-free. It will be based strongly on a 1994 game, owned incidentally also by Infogrames. Ship names, appearances, etc, and the general style will be the same, but the models, textures, scripts, and whatnot else will all be my own work. And I'm not charging for it. I'm not a legal expert, but I don't see how such a situation could lead me or anyone who uses the mod to legal troubles.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

A while ago i mailed M3G if i could port TLL and he said he was okay with it so i ported it... it's still under development though.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I have an interesting mod idea for a long time.

Here is the rundown:

-Mars Colonial Alliance VS United Terran Federation
The war takes place around mid 21st century, Mars is colonized and declared independance from Earth outraging Earth, A war is fought over sovereignty of Mars with it's plentiful resources, war is fought on mars, in space, it's 2 moons and even Earth it self.

-Weapons and equipment are distinct for both sides, While Earth employs PlasmaCanister weapons for their tanks and Cannons, a Plasmacanister gun is basically what it says, Plasma is contained in a shell and upon impact the shell releases plasma in a forward jet to penetrate armor much like a shaped-charge, Mars will employ Linear Accelerators for armor piercing such as a Railgun or Gaussgun, while more moreful, can only be shot in a straightline, Plasmashells can be lobbed in an angle.
Both employ conventional tracked tanks and a new type of all-terrain hovertank.

Infantry will be using powered-suits that cover the whole of their body in which they can move naturally, their weapons compose of traditional type weapons, Earth has hi-velocity firearms while Mars has Metalstorm firearms which are firearms that are fired by electrical pulses rather than the more conventional centerfire firearms, Mars will enjoy faster rates of fire while Earth has the firepower advantage.

Aircraft will mainly be spacecraft such as starfighters, bombers and spacecraft, Earth will have mostly triangular shaped craft while Mars has aircraft with long wings to allow for atmospheric flight in the thin martian air, Earth craft are generally faster and more manauverable while Mars craft are more heavilly armored and armed.

Ships will be limited to Earth maps, they will mainly be carriers and missile cruisers and some smaller ships as well like PT boats and Frigates, Ofcourse Mars will have limited capability here and will be restricted to smaller framed ships (that are easilly transported in spacecraft) that are more covert I.E. Submarine Aircraft Carriers, Missile Submarines etc.

Defenses are Mars' specialty, Mars has the most powerful of defenses while Earth generally is less concerned about defending but will not be very weak either in this aspect.

The Commander is a smaller spacecraft, while heavily armored, can not take on the enemy by it self, Earth and Mars will be nearly indentical in their Commander's capabilities.

I intend to start this project at some point, textures are gonna be all new, I will try to find as many free to use sounds as well.

I will start this as soon as I release a new version for WD, I feel it's important to have a TC that is specifically for Spring which can be released freely with it, the ballance will be similar to XTA and FF.

I will accept help but I do have to say that i'm quite strict on what I want so if you develop a unit that deviates too much from my set parameters, it might not work out for the mod, I shall release a number of units (when they are ready) so people can see how models should aproximently look and in which style they are.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

sopunds fun
mongus

Post by mongus »

Ace07 wrote:If I had time, I would make up a design doc...
a design doc?..

does that include the "balancing" procedurals? if so.. how?

its sad to have a new race and not being able to play it agains xta :D
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Maybe you can call it, "The Food Riots"... :lol:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

yay for Food Riots!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

zwzsg wrote:
Kozuka wrote:I think that "we" (as in community, I would be more then willing to contribute although I can't do it alone) should start making an "offical" mod, from what I have seen and from what computers can do today we could accompish much better looking and feel compaired to the old TA models (and most of it's mods) since we have a completely 3d camera and not top-down like TA the *looks* of the units and structures look really out of place is what I have noticed. We could create a game around this engine with TA *like* gameplay with alot of improvments instead of trying to remake the wheel we could experiment and try something new in the *spirit* of total annilation with updated gameplay, graphics, sound, and really make it an enjoyible experiance.
It would go like this: people would flamewar in the forum over how much a particular point must be improved while the others would scream how much it'll ruin the gameplay. Then, at some point, someone would all alone do a better looking mod. Every forumers will post how great it is. But after a while the thread will die and be forgotten. Then a new guy will restart all anew. All the while, the SY will continue to release Spring with the exactly the very same taenheter.ccx. How do I know it will go like this? Because it already happened!
*cough* OTAR-EVAMP! *cough*

EDIT: P.S, Noize, I happen to have a few models that you could use. They're infantry-in-suits models, and I have gotten one ingame (the walk script is just messed up)

Return to “General Discussion”