Rank

Rank

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Scratch

Rank

Post by Scratch »

Lurking this forum now and then. Looks like a new ver. of the Spring engine or client is coming out soon, figured this would be a good time to bring it up b/c I don't know anything thats planned for it.

Now, there are many players, I'd venture to say 1/3 of the players, with well over 100 hours in spring. Star rank is moot point as most of you know.

Are you guys planning on a new ranking system? I'd like to see something that mixes in other gameplay factors besides hours into the mix. I think it'd make things alot more interesting...

Make it optional, possibly a player rating system for other players to rate, or a win/loss ratio. Discuss.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Both of those are exploitable.

Unfortunately, with the spring engine, you can't have a very good ranking system.
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

Satirik added 2 more in-game based ranks for next version, and some medals/cup icons are planned for top ladder players in future.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

win/loss would fail and player rating would fail. i think it should be rankd on how often you play BA :P
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MightySheep wrote:win/loss would fail and player rating would fail. i think it should be rankd on how often you play BA :P
Can you explain why?

My idea of a rating system is this - people can post comments about other players, or even rate them in different areas such as

- Teamplay
- Communication
- Responsiveness
- Game knowledge
- Micro management
- Macro management
etc.

A profile feature for each player.
rcdraco

yea

Post by rcdraco »

Commenting on a user is good, to an extent, you should have to be rank 3 or higher to comment on someone to prevent, "THIS GUY IS A RAGEQUITTER"

Snipawolf: That sounds reasonable, so long as the person wants the comment removed. Really would help out in games with newbs.
Last edited by rcdraco on 18 Nov 2007, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Mods should be able to remove comments as well, if you want that to work well.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

The rank system is about the least of our problems.

It's like discussing whether we want to wear sandals or shoes with a tsunami coming our way.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

Felix the Cat wrote:The rank system is about the least of our problems.

It's like discussing whether we want to wear sandals or shoes with a tsunami coming our way.
thats stupid i think the ranking system is important because it means the actual matches themselves are alot better.
smoth

Post by smoth »

WOW, I want a rank system that people can submit opinions of me. I am sure it would be filled with love and all manner of positive criticism.

The above is sarcasm.

Karma systems can end up quickly as a popularity contest.

We need a way to know if a player quit before the game ends and we need a way to track win loss. Rage quiting should be a recorded so we can know if a player either has connection issues or the player just quits to protect win/loss ratio. After a while I am sure a good rank system will result. Look at halo 3 they have an excellent one that takes into account wins, losses and experience on line. I find I often get pitted against someone of similar skill and ability. in time the outlyers would get worked out.
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

quick! can a moderator delete what smoth just typed before this is actually developed :?
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

MightySheep wrote:quick! can a moderator delete what smoth just typed before this is actually developed :?
quick! can a moderator delete what MightSheep just typed before my brain actually implodes :?
smoth

Post by smoth »

was my suggestion so bad?
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

smoth wrote:was my suggestion so bad?
Your suggestion was fine, though there are technical reasons why a "did not finish %" stat wouldn't be representative of rage quits, and I personally wouldn't like a win/loss rating because we already have enough pseudo-"elitism" in the lobby. If you can call star-only DSD or SpeedMetal games "elitism". I have a different name for them.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm fine with a win/loss system that is opt-in, that is to say, I'm fine with the ladders we have now. I even maintain three of them.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Aye, if you choose to be in a voluntary ladder they have the option of kicking you out if you start screwing it up and therefore it's not harmful. However, when we talk about ranking players under a system where every game is monitored we quickly run into the problem that there simply is too many ways to screw around with any possible ranking algorithm assuming the players don't really take it seriously.
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

We don't need perfect ranking system. Anything is better then what we do have now.

Extra rank for more hours is better then nothing.
Additional rank for top ladder players is better then nothing.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

Hellspawn wrote:We don't need perfect ranking system. Anything is better then what we do have now.

Extra rank for more hours is better then nothing.
Additional rank for top ladder players is better then nothing.
i concur +1.
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

Betalord wrote:Satirik added 2 more in-game based ranks for next version, and some medals/cup icons are planned for top ladder players in future.
Sounds good.

On a serious note what u are asking for Scratch is nearly impossible, I mean how do you rate someones micro? Players opinions? Can't see any other way which will result in the most liked players -> highest ranked.
Tired

Post by Tired »

I believe that all ranking should be based upon subjective popularity contests, overall win/loss ratios created by game-rigging, or ladders focused on severely limited game size / mod variables.

You whores awarded me no +12 golden monkey wrench for passing 100,000 minutes, so you deserve nothing save the oblivious monotony of silver stars for all! Muahahahaha!

Return to “General Discussion”