Flight behaviour of planes - Page 4

Flight behaviour of planes

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

mongus

Post by mongus »

and i think the crash damage is currently turned off?
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Evidently not, otherwise they would live forever after their crash sequence is initiated

I think that it should be the other way around (Even though I disagree with the whole radar scheme, if thats what people want, I'll have to work within it), so that passive radars act exactly like TA radars, in that they don't immediately reveal themselves to the enemy unless they themselves have been spotted by someones radar.
Jammers should cloak any radar they are put next too.

This cuts out a lot of unecessary fiddliness, and it stops your enemy from seeing a big circle of nothing, with a single dot bang in the middle.
Storm

Post by Storm »

I'm not wholly for the idea to lighting all radars up like flares disregarding of the placement. I'm for the idea to show radars when there are enemy units within their work range (and not to be revealed by some other radar, which would defeat the purpose). I'm against the idea to introduce "passive" radars into the game (since that would mean altering the game and changing it into a mod), although such extra units would be welcome to be created. I also second Zsinj point that all radars should be jamable.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Making active radars jammable eliminates the whole point behind making radars reveal themselves. It's not really hard to place a jammer near your radar, and when you've done that, you have a perfectly invisible radar, that provides targetting for each and every AA battery of yours. Airplanes are once again at a major disadvantage. You'll have to send massive waves of common aircraft just to spot the radar, and then another massive wave to destroy it.

Again I turn to realism: a jammer placed near a radar would completely screw up the radar's readings.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Hrm... now that you say it, it does indeed bring us back to the original point.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Would it jam it if it were on a different frequency?
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Why not juts make a basic jammer plane with a small jamming radius?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

That's already possible. Transport plane + jammer unit = jamming plane.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Radar Jammers are level 2 units, so I don't think it is entirely unbalanced. Seriously, if you were offering a level 2 "passive" radar, a radar jammer is at the same level tech tree, it just slots in with current gameplay far more seamlessly.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way, however. I think that the current solution is a round about method of fixing the issue with aircraft.

We have identified that aircraft are dealt a significant balancing blow because they are targetable on radar. I am not sure how you managed to locate how the radars themselves are detected as being a primary solution to the issue.

Perhaps a better thing to look at is either how aircraft are portrayed on the map as radars, or how units are targeted when firing. Fixing these up would be a far more logical solution then making complex radar detection rules, which seem to me to cause far more problems then they solve.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

are hawks no longer stealth? seems to me that stealth units have gotten a huge usefulness boost (as if hawks needed it <_<) with radar targetting

i'd imagine the solution for planes would be to simply make more of them be cloaked from radar...have a few of the bigger ones still be radar targetable.

*shrug*
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I would think a better option is how aircraft are portrayed on the radar itself. It has to be some way so that the player knows what is happening, and can work out that such and such blips are aircraft, but that his defenses cannot target them as well.

One potential solution is to make it that the radar is unable to give units a vertical bearing. It simply detects where units are, and places a dot on the map, according to the heightmap.

That way, all aircraft are identified, but when you look on your game screen, they will look like vehicle dots; as in they will seem to be moving along the ground. It won't be until line of sight is established that you know what it is for sure.
Of course, it is pretty easy to figure out what is an aircraft, and what isn't; just as it was in OTA. If it is moving in a straight line, and pretty fast, chances are its an aircraft. But your defences don't know that!
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Oh, nice idea....so the defenses will fire at where the dots are on the ground, allowing the planes to close to LOS range.

I like it, good idea warlord.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Bad idea warlord, what kind of retarded futuristic radar only detects in 2d?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

The same one that can only see about 5 feet infront of it, and can go faster than light without inventing a GPS.

Its all about gameplay. I'd rather have the 2D radar system, which mind you, was exactly what OTA technically had, then the complicated "oh radars can detect such and such at X range, but only if they have first been detected by another unit...", which completely defeats the purpose of intuitive gaming controls. I don't want to play Warhammer, and work out stats; I want to blow shit up.

Gameplay gets my vote over realism any day. This is the path taken by Cavedog, and I hope it is the path taken by Spring.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Gameplay gets my vote over realism any day.
Same here, but 2d radar is detrimental to gameplay.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Why can't we do it as in old TA? Update the radar once a second and not realtime. That means it would be impossible to squander incoming planes but for the slow ground units, it wouldn't matter as much.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That happened in OTA?

And yes, when It was said that radar is updated intermittently, I said that would be a good idea too. But is it all radar, or individual radar structures? Wouldn't the individual radar structures overlap? etc.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Update all radars at once, once in a while. Sound like the best idea to make radar-targetting ineffective against planes.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

mongus wrote:i think planes should turn around to gain height.
this can be really tricky ...
See the game Massive Attack.The planes are VTOLs but do it.
VonGratz(Graatz)
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

[quote="BlackLiger"]Key note. Sean mirrsen has had me testing for the past 2 days his modified spring code. It has only 3 features away from the normal spring code

1) Water level rises and falls like tides. Its not major, but its neat.

Its VERY interesting and real.This will enable or not changes in range of ships during the game.
DuGratz(Graatz)

Return to “General Discussion”