What about creeping?

What about creeping?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Torrasque

What about creeping?

Post by Torrasque »

This topic is not for those who think that everything in warcraf3 is pure shit.

What do you think about neutral units or bases, on specific point on the map. They could be holding a good amount of metal that you can reclaim. Or being on a place where the density of metal is very hight.

Like that, you could regulate the movement of player on the map.
(if you have made very good place but don't want that all players rush their at the beginning.)
bmaciag

Post by bmaciag »

It's one thing I always loved about WC3. The neutral units added a great deal of fun to the maps.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

It's the best think in war3 imho too :)
Webbie

Post by Webbie »

But in the context of TA it would make zero sense.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

There were neutal units in the Orriginal TA expansions... whales or something... it makes perfect sense for there to be natives or something like that... you could make a scale human army with tanks the size of peewees and tiny little troupers... it would be funny to crush them...
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Why TA must only have two side?

TA backround is _very_ poor and very restricting.

Beside I think they have eradicated a lot of small civilisation during their war and on the battlefield.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Spring is not TA.

Besides it might be in the modders or map makers interest to have such things. Thus what you are wanting is a GAIA player. Such a player would naturally be under the control of an AI or would simply exist and abide by the unit script solely.

Untill someone figures out howto add features to maps perhaps we should have ana ddition tot he map definition file (the one with map name etc whatever it was called I forgot) that we can add thigns to each time at the start such as extra units or simply define features such as wreckage or whatnot, and thus solving the problem of simple GAIA units and making maps such as urban maps possible. It would also allow the creation fot he growing trees or trees that swayed in the wind.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I agree, Neutral units would be a GREAT addition, like Civilians, esspecially for realistic warfare mods, civilians can form militia, milita can fight.

Small armies might also be possible, Tank would be the size of a Stumpy in game, well slightly larger if it's a conventional tank based on low-tech technology.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, neutral units add a lot to the maps. And nearly everything needed for neutral units is already here. But we'd need a better map editor to place them, or some explanation on how to make maps specific scripts that can be used online.
mongus

Post by mongus »

Hey alantai, how about Pirates in that Mod/thread of yours.. er.. Total War?
So, maybe individual players can "take" planets or parts of it... sell armies, make alliances...
So you jump into a new segment of a planet, and suddenly you bump into a pirates base....
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

I think warcraft sucks a lot, it's just too boring game. ( Please don't comment my opinion :) because it sucks too I know I know ).

neutral units would be good addition, but maybe not necessary, there are already enough smashing with another equal or better player.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think neutral units would be more of a hassle than anything.

For the most part they would be cool if they weren't bland old TA units, but (as people suggested) native inhabitants, and so on. But it would be difficult dividing the line between "Gimmicky and Annoying" and "Nice Addition and Adds to Gameplay".

How do Neutral teams react? They just shoot at anything, but don't actually go out looking for trouble?
bmaciag

Post by bmaciag »

Ofcourse it would be more of a hassle than anything, that's the point. It's not as if all maps HAVE to use them, but it is a sweet option to have at a map maker's fingertips.

Yes, they would have a camp setup somewhere presumably with a lot of resources, and they would not go out attacking, they would simply stay in their predesigned base and not build anymore.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I think we need the option for neutral units... just think, a planet that has exhausted all its resources but is govered in factories and defensive towers. Just think about that - capture a krogoth gantry early game to save time later! Or how about Fusions?
This would be a cool addition. However, I reckon organic units would be just lame. What we need is the option for this, with the intention that it is used with TA maps. Then modmakers can take it where they like.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

bmaciag wrote:Ofcourse it would be more of a hassle than anything, that's the point. It's not as if all maps HAVE to use them, but it is a sweet option to have at a map maker's fingertips.

Yes, they would have a camp setup somewhere presumably with a lot of resources, and they would not go out attacking, they would simply stay in their predesigned base and not build anymore.
I like this idea, so if a other player wants those resources, he would hav to fight hard for it :D kinda king of the hill effect
RightField

Post by RightField »

Doomweaver wrote:I think we need the option for neutral units... just think, a planet that has exhausted all its resources but is govered in factories and defensive towers. Just think about that - capture a krogoth gantry early game to save time later! Or how about Fusions?
This would be a cool addition. However, I reckon organic units would be just lame. What we need is the option for this, with the intention that it is used with TA maps. Then modmakers can take it where they like.
There were organic neutral units in the CC campaigns. I always thought that was pretty nice. The sea serpents especially.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Yep, those sea serpents really proved the TA engine capable of organic units.

Neutral units would be nice. I always loved the neutrals in the CnC generals cities.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

These would be nice to have:

-Civilians, don't attack until provoked I.E. you attack them.
-Wild Life, some predators could be made hostile for mods, like in AATA, SWTA and TAWD it would be a nice touch, they can be hunted for experience and and reclaimed for energy.
-Abandonned units, they would be neutral, but they could either be salvaged or could be captured, maybe even turn to your side when you have units nearby like many RTS games out there.
-Hostile units like pirtates, local milita or such, they could be made to support one side and to attack poorly organized attacks to others, perhaps even have terrorist.
-Civilian traffic, could me randomly going from 1 side of the screen and go to the other side of the road, they could be stopped or destroyed or hit your infantry units by accident, trains, these could hit your units or destroyed, maybe they would drop occasional crates with goodies or units, Air Traffic, small civilian aircraft or large airliners, randomly flying by, perhaps could be spawned by civilian airports. Ships would also be in there, acts alot like trains.
-Mercenary Posts, much like Warcraft, you could purchase mercenary units here with special skills military units don't have.

it would also be nice to have a currency resource that could be traded for resources, currency could be used to buy things from 3rd parties in the game.

All these things would require alot of coding, would have to be added on a level editor and ofcourse would require alot of modeling and scripting, but they could add tremendously to the gameplay.

I am just giving some ideas here, I don't want to sound too much like Zombie and his endless request, but I'm just throwing these in for suggestions :)
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Hmm thats not a bad idea. Besides, for multiplayer, you could add to the fun by allowing defeated players who r still watching to go into FPS mode controling the neutral units :D

REVENGE SHALL BE MINE, MWHAHAHAHAHAH ;)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:... TA engine capable of organic units.
GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:...
-Civilians, ...
-Wild Life, ...
If any «organic» unit is to be added to TA::Spring, it has better have a very good model. Otherwise, it will look crap.
And still, organic units will start to look «old» very fast. That's one of the reasons why OTA still looks somewhat good, because it is almost exclusivly robotic and robotic units are perfect for 3D engines.

Return to “General Discussion”