Players comunications

Players comunications

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

mauritis

Players comunications

Post by mauritis »

Somebody think that it's possible to use a system like skype, or Open Wengo, that is open sources in order to talk with the others players during the battles?

Maybe modifing the source code of open wengo, in order to obtain a new tool developed only for Spring?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Just use teamspeak or teamtalk.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Cuppy even has a teamspeak server.

ts.iamacup.com
Last edited by Relative on 21 Aug 2007, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

I run a TS server from time to time... :P
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

The way I see it Wengo would do you no good as it lacks conferencing.

What advantages would an integrated speech thingy bring? I can't see one. If you thought this through, care to explain further?

Another alternative to ts and tt would be mumble. It is completly open source, cross-plattform and from my experience provides better speech quality than ts (with same or less bandwidth usage).

edit: corrected link, thanks AF
Last edited by koshi on 21 Aug 2007, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Nice to hear that the mumble project is back :)

Edit:

Wow, they have made some great improvements since I last checked them out.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I personally don't like the idea of an integrated VoIP (moar bloat kthx), using TT alongside spring works just fine.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

http://mumble.sourceforge.net

Someone put sourceforge,net
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

server at ts.iamacup.com has been up for 50 days with no probs... ill look into mumble but i dont see a problem with teamspeak.
Relative

Post by Relative »

iamacup wrote:server at ts.iamacup.com has been up for 50 days with no probs... ill look into mumble but i dont see a problem with teamspeak.
its teh phail on linux
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Well the benefits of integrated system are clear:

- no setup (you are automatically in correct channel and setup once you join game)
- all people in and listening (not just those who know about TS and care to join)
- you can talk only to your allys (no voice cheating)
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Licho wrote:Well the benefits of integrated system are clear:

- no setup (you are automatically in correct channel and setup once you join game)
- all people in and listening (not just those who know about TS and care to join)
- you can talk only to your allys (no voice cheating)
Yeah, it worked quite nicely in the World In Conflict betas.

"Watch the left. I need some anti air to cover me all the way to the farm. Also, someone dump a nuke in their spawn zone!"
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Yep, sounds like a great idea if we could integrate mumble with a new lobby client.

Besides, it isn't that much bloat I hope.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Teamtalk is better, if I recall. Lower overhead. More customization.
Day

Post by Day »

Skype owns.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Teamtalk wouldn't be usable for integration. The standard sdk with no linux support costs ├óÔÇÜ┬¼600. One of the developers said it would be possible to port it to linux, with a full source code license at ├óÔÇÜ┬¼5000 that is. This applied to a commercial project. I didn't find any info on license for an open source project.

When using mumble for integration bandwidth (and traffic) becomes an issue. If there would be a central server for one lobby server (not necessarily the same machine) with 20 people ingame and 2 talking at the same time 0.8-2.4 Mbit/s would be needed (mubmle faq).
With the host of a game acting as mumble server it is more manageable, but still requires a big upstream.
The solution easiest on bandwidth requirements would be one server per ally team. Since inter-team (counting specs as a team) communication doesn't seem to be desirable this would probably also be the best solution.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

You cannot have 1 server per ally team, because there is no guarantee anyone in that team can host it.

Data should be streamed using spring network system, game host working as a host for voice too..

It should be fully integrated into game itself (not into some specific lobby), with talk icons and such..
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

This would pwn.
manored

Post by manored »

Wouldnt alternative talking ways allow spects to talk to a team in particular and thus force hosts to kick all spects?...
Masure

Post by Masure »

I don't understand why you want to complexify Spring with talking features when dedicated software exist.

I use TS with my mates while playing spring and we create an unregistered channel for each ally playing. You can create it with a password if you re paranoid.

Hosting a spring dedicated TS server should be enough for players to be in touch while playing.

Return to “General Discussion”