Spring in China - Page 6

Spring in China

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

still, it would be a pointless detour to add chinese to the menus of spring esp with lua uis being a larger entity in the future. While some sort of generic language library toggle would be nice. I CAN PROMISE YOU, that we, content developers are not going out of our way to add in X language unit descriptions. It takes too much time, I have a hard enough time conveying unit usage in english and my japanese is too poor to do ANYTHING useful, let alone writing unit descriptions in some indian dialect or concerning myself with mandarin or cantonese.

So let us consider that spring is not a game, it is an engine and soon the games that run in it are going to become more and more divergent. Now, we will have the standard spring menus but content developers are going to be creating their own interfaces so I am not sure where you can begin to pretend that mutilingual menus are even going to be feasible for all game pakages.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:still, it would be a pointless detour to add chinese to the menus of spring esp with lua uis being a larger entity in the future. While some sort of generic language library toggle would be nice. I CAN PROMISE YOU, that we, content developers are not going out of our way to add in X language unit descriptions. It takes too much time, I have a hard enough time conveying unit usage in english and my japanese is too poor to do ANYTHING useful, let alone writing unit descriptions in some indian dialect or concerning myself with mandarin or cantonese.

So let us consider that spring is not a game, it is an engine and soon the games that run in it are going to become more and more divergent. Now, we will have the standard spring menus but content developers are going to be creating their own interfaces so I am not sure where you can begin to pretend that mutilingual menus are even going to be feasible for all game pakages.
Ya, it's fair to not expect you personally to attempt to support a bunch of divergent languages that you don't understand. But if spring supported a more universal character set than it's possible we could segregate the unit descriptions and other in game texts to external files and support multiple concurrent releases in different languages for third party mod modders to be able to override originals with custom mod language packs.

So I download gundam, and then replace the unit descriptions file with the custom Japanese unit descriptions made by "herrokitty451" and my gundam now displays Japanese unit names and descriptions.
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

TradeMark wrote: Oh, yeah i didnt think of chinese etc. but i have always thought they can english too... or at least roman alphabets, because roman alphabets are used everywhere globally, like in some logos etc...
Professionalism - the professional look of a multilingual program.
Thats why Spring needs support for other languages than English. Thats why SupCom has it.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

zorbawic wrote:
TradeMark wrote: Oh, yeah i didnt think of chinese etc. but i have always thought they can english too... or at least roman alphabets, because roman alphabets are used everywhere globally, like in some logos etc...
Professionalism - the professional look of a multilingual program.
Thats why Spring needs support for other languages than English. Thats why SupCom has it
"TRANSLATING" the last quote .....

Millions of dollars - the professional look of a full time staff & stuff for the professional look of a multilingual program et autres things....Thats why supcom has it....
VonGratz :lol: :lol: :lol:
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

would You like Spring not to look professional just because of money ? :roll:

I don't deny the fact that SupCom was made for money and thus has to be multilingual.

Look at Ubuntu. Its not made for money, looks professional and is available in multiple languages. Even the international version has multiple language support.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I agree that multilingual support is a necessity in the long term.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

there's a tiny difference between what is widley considered the favorite alternative non-ms os in the world and a little rts game that maybe 300 people play every night.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yes, it is a small difference.

Both were made for free. Both are Open Source...
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

would You like Spring not to look professional just because of money ?
Au contraire, SPRING is one of the better RTS games I saw WITHOUT or WITH money....
But..... Can you realize that for a small group of developers working partime, the phrase "when possible" is part of any line of enhancing, professional or not. :?: :?: :?:

Look at Ubuntu. Its not made for money, looks professional and is available in multiple languages. Even the international version has multiple language support.
Dragon45 wrote:there's a tiny difference between what is widley considered the favorite alternative non-ms os in the world and a little rts game that maybe 300 people play every night.
Thanks!
Very well answered :idea:
VonGratz :wink:
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Snipawolf wrote:Yes, it is a small difference.

Both were made for free. Both are Open Source...
spring is just an ubuntu fork
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yeah, spring is such a great OS! ^___^
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

What am I supposed to be using for Word Processing, guys? The Thud just doesn't seem to output text in an acceptable format, and the ALEX has no unicode support!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I don't know but I am lovin' that Fido seach support 8)
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

neddiedrow wrote:I agree that multilingual support is a necessity in the long term.
This is one of those wonders of open source software.

If you think it's a necessity... grab yourself a copy of the source and implement it!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Or I could keep working on what I've been doing for Spring and somebody who is of greater expertise with coding (Probably somebody who does not work full time, since I do work full time) and knows the language (As I do not) could shoulder the burden.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Felix the Cat wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:I agree that multilingual support is a necessity in the long term.
This is one of those wonders of open source software.

If you think it's a necessity... grab yourself a copy of the source and implement it!
If you follow larger open source communities, you'll see why there is such a big debate over the "just make it yourself" attitude.
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

Ubuntu is just an example. I used it because its best known.
I can name at least 1 Linux distribution that has less developers (not working full time on it) than Spring.

Besides did I say we need that feature pronto ?
I agree with Neddiedrow that this would be nice to have it in the long term.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

TradeMark wrote:Oh, yeah i didnt think of chinese etc. but i have always thought they can english too... or at least roman alphabets, because roman alphabets are used everywhere globally, like in some logos etc...

Return to “General Discussion”