Spring hosted at PW

Spring hosted at PW

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want PW to be the main server for the Spring community?

Yes
46%
No
15%
Don't Care
39%

Total votes: 41

Red Dragon

Spring hosted at PW

Post by Red Dragon »

It looks like PhoenixWorx is preparing to get Spring hosted on there too.....which is good news to you all! A place where you can play OTA and the 3 most popular mods, and soon TA Spring and its mods too!!! :lol:

For you who haven't heard of PW: http://www.PhoenixWorx.org

Maybe if the creators of Spring could work together with PW, a big part of their problem with staff shortages would be resolved. Phoenix is a small but strong TA community, with plans for the future....More & more games will get hosted on there, since the last update made it possible to support not just TA. It would be good news for both PW and the Spring community to settle at PW.

Come on people, lets have some reactions! Or visit me on PW :wink:
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Why should PW be the main server surley the makers wont want some other guy hosting the main server for the game thats kinda stupid.
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Since SY have allready stated they're short on staff, and PW 90% of what is required allready has. Add a friendly staff and a cool client and you have a can't-go-wrong situation :-)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I really like Phoenix Worx (and late Gaming Battle League), so I'd be happy to have them take care of the client. But that must be done with consent and help from the Swedish Yankspankers, for I would really hate to have the spring players divided in two. I hope that Jouninkomiko and NMDANGE will be able to work together.

clericvash: it makes perfect sense to me to have the Swedish Yankspankers working on the engine, while other people works on the multiplayer lobby, while other work on porting mods, units packs, and TC, while other work on making maps. You can't have the S.Y. make all and everything by themselves, because it'd takes way too long, because maybe they're not interested in some parts, because if competent people are willingly helping, it would be a waste of ressources to forbid them to, because Spring is "open source", because it's not a commercial product, .... The only issue is to make sure there's good communication between everybody.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think that if the Pheonix Worx people can make it work good enough, or better, maybe figure out the "everyone is behind a misconfigured router" issues... that would be good... but also having a Spring dedicated server is good, especially at this stage of the game... I think it might be a good plan to have the PW client force a specific group of builds or mods, and let us muck about on the old server with new maps, mods and units and such...
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Also, keep in mind that a lot of you Spring players also enjoy(ed) the OTA game. If PW would host Spring for you that means you can play OTA without having to open a different gaming client. It's only a matter of switching channels. Also, one of the features on the to do list of PW is Filesharing. This should become available in the near future. A list of the last updates can be found here: http://community.phoenixworx.org/forums ... wPost.aspx

Sinbad, why have a Spring dedicated server if you can have a TA in all its forms dedicated server? :wink:

Come visit me and the rest of the PW staff at PW 8)
CatalyticPrefect

Post by CatalyticPrefect »

Why are you asking us? The devs are the ones that know what's best for the game, if you think you can trust these guys then go ahead. We could make an informed decision if you told us of the advantages and disadvantages maybe?
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I can't think of any disadvantages, but the main advantage is bringing 2 small communities together, making it more likely for people to find a game. And off course, some of you will play OTA more often, and vice versa. I would like to see the PW population grow, and Spring offers a good chance for that.
The fact that PW allready has a stable client with a lot less bugs and a full staff also makes sure that users that get stuck will get all the help available.
Did i mention PW is as free of charge as Spring is yet? :wink:
mongus

Post by mongus »

By playing ota, you mean the Cavedog's Total annihilation?
So the idea is to mesh the 2 clients, the one for phoenixworx and th one for Spring?.

The idea that the users could be split into 2 or more servers is very unpleasant.
The number of players is not big enogh to do so now.
We have some kind of division right now, but any time i feel like joinning an Evota, ota, EVxta, wtv game i have game right there, its not hard to do.
So, there should be only one server for we all.

It seem you wish to do it, have the stuff, and Spring needs it.
There should be a wise alliance.

As per filesharing.... that helps noobs... but generates lazy ppl..
maybe only for mods? (egoistic idea).

And last.. wich games are you hosting in the future? MechWarrior 4? 8)
I think that is about the same subject as Spring fps...

edit: In case PW hosts Spring, we should have a test time anyhow.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

the idea was to make pw the only spring server, not have it and the first, so the comunity wouldnt be split, and would probly increase the comunity for ota and spring
CatalyticPrefect

Good points, I can imagine when they make two servers that everyone (or at least me) will have two client opens looking for games (because there are hardly any already) which will be really inconvienient.
CatalyticPrefect

On the other hand, people who frequent that website might play TA Spring as a result which would be good....
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

That's the idea.... splitting an allready small community is not a good idea. But since most Spring players started out playing the Cavedog game 1st I think it's great to have both games playable using only 1 client.
The current Spring client is.....how to put it delicately.....unfinished. And it looks like there's noone who can work on it either. With some not too intensive adjustments, PW can easily be made to support Spring.

When that's the case, you will be able to play:

Total Annihilation:
* OTA
* XTA
* UberHack
* BugFix

and

TA Spring:
* OTA
* XTA
* EvoTA

I might have forgotten a mod for Spring but i can't think of any more atm.

1 server. 2 games. 4 & 3 mods per game. Sweeeeet! 8)
WeaZ

Post by WeaZ »

Absolute Annihilation
thats the only other big one there is Gundam Annihilation and a messed up Star Wars TA
uum I think thats about it
I think PW is a great Idea I just hope ACE07's work doesnt go towards nothing it looks like hes doing a good job by himself....
NMDANGE

Post by NMDANGE »

I have already started a topic in the Dev forum about this
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=924
mongus

Post by mongus »

By the way, how many users does PW have?
and daily, how many hang around?
Just curious.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Arg, damnit, clicked the wrong thing, no--, yes++,\. :lol:
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Exactly right now, 17 people in main chat, and 5 battlerooms.
mongus

Post by mongus »

You use to hang around there zwzsg?
But the universe of users... its something like 36*50=1800 registered and appearing in the IGW rank list.

I wonder how many registered players are here at spring.
i guess is around 150-300 registered users?.
CatalyticPrefect

The question is how many are active...

Return to “General Discussion”