BA Package Installer

BA Package Installer

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

HeavyLancer

BA Package Installer

Post by HeavyLancer »

First of all, hello all! This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking here for a while.

Anyway, back on-topic. I have introduced most of my friends to Spring, but one of the things that they and I have noticed is that it takes a lot of repetitive manual work to get maps, mods and such forth working, because you have to go to the UF, download the file, and usually manually install the file into your Spring directory. After seeing the Kernel Panic installer, I was inspired to make some 'package' installers for some of the more popular mods and map types. I have not seen anything like this done by anyone besides the aforementioned KP installer.

However I did notice that there was a topic on a community installer. This is partially in response to this as well.

The intended effect of these installer packages is to make it easier for new players to get into playing Spring, simply by downloading the installer and running it after installing Spring. It will also hopefully get rid of some of the annoying 'sry dling map' messages that new players make when you are trying to get a game running. And finally this should all improve the retention rate of new players and make Spring more popular in the long run.

The current version is 2.0, and is made with NSIS. The whole package is about 128 Mb.

Content
I have put the following files onto the installer:
  • BA v5.5
    RAI v0.555
    Adamantine Mountain
    Altored Divide
    Cooper Hill
    Comet Catcher Redux
    Delta Siege Dry
    Imperfect
    Metalheck V2
    Red Comet
    Small Supreme Battlefield v2
    Tangerine
    Tropical
    Victoria Crater
If any of the creators of the mods or maps wants e to take it down, please notify me.

Some other packages I will do in the future:
  • 'Novelty Maps' (Speedmetal, Greenfields, Speedball and their combined 1037476 or so variants)
    EE with maps and RAI
    A collection of 1v1 maps Sort of done with version 2.0
If anyone wants me to make an installer just tell me what you content you want on the installer and I could make it.
Please note however that the installer will have an annoying notice at the end of it to tell you that the software to make it is unregistered.

Any comments?
Last edited by HeavyLancer on 05 Aug 2007, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

'Novelty Maps' (Speedmetal, Greenfields, Speedball and their combined 1037476 or so variants)
Please no :cry:

Good work otherwise! Something like this would be idea as an optional download on the official page.

What's the installer you're using? I have a small amount of experience setting those up, might be able to compile your script for you on a registered version if I happen to have it.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Nice work, will be handy for sure.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

One more thing, maybe communicate with the BA team and release it when they have a new version?

Since people will be downloading a large package anyway, maybe start a thread in the user map discussion to find what really good but unplayed maps are out there and include them as well as these mainstream ones?

Maybe remove some of those overplayed ones like Altored too.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Caydr wrote:
i dont think you understand what's going on here.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Yay.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

jackalope wrote:
Caydr wrote:
i dont think you understand what's going on here.
Lotsa stuff I don't understand :cry:
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Caydr wrote:One more thing, maybe communicate with the BA team and release it when they have a new version?

Since people will be downloading a large package anyway, maybe start a thread in the user map discussion to find what really good but unplayed maps are out there and include them as well as these mainstream ones?

moderator: you can rewrite it without capslock...
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Caydr wrote:One more thing, maybe communicate with the BA team and release it when they have a new version?

In response:

I will release a new version of this particular when they want to release it, perhaps with a BA config for NTai as well.

The point of this package installer is to get all of the popular maps and the most popular mod together in one handy install package. Yes, this does mean altored, DSD and all of the maps that I see being played at least once per day when I am on (A45_Gladius in-game).
I will make more packages soon enough. If anyone has any suggestions give me a shout. :-)
A 'good' or 'connoisseur' map/mod pack is definitely on the horizon. After I have uploaded this particular package I will endeavour to make it, after a decision by the rest of the community on the maps to be included.

And BTW I use Clickteam Install Creator V 2.0 to make this. Unregistered.

Have I made any omissions with this pack? Any suggestions for future packs?

Thanks for all of the support. All positive so far. :shock:
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

rewrite without caps - mod
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Sleksa wrote:CHANGE COMET CATCHER REMAKE TO COMET CATCHER _REDUX_ , THE REDUX VERSION IS THE BEST COMET VERSION OUT THERE.
I didn't think it was possible, but your caps are even more annoying than smoths pink.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Sleksa: To be honest, your opinions might have been noted if it weren't for the fact that you had to use an annoying and troll-like tone in your post.

May I ask why the redux version is better than remake? I haven't played much comet catcher in a while.
And this time, DON'T use the shift key in your posts. The mods might not censor them then.

Anyway, back on-topic. I am having problems with UF, I have used the first option for uploading, php-ftp I think, and it is not only taking ages to WAIT for the damn thing to load (It hasn't even started to upload it) and I got an MySQL error as well. If you want I can post the whole error message.
This is the only reason that the file is not up on UF at the moment.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Redux is better because it is mirrored, so the person in bottom left isnt disadvantaged at the start
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

HeavyLancer wrote:After seeing the Kernel Panic installer, I was inspired to make some 'package' installers for some of the more popular mods and map types. I have not seen anything like this done by anyone besides the aforementioned KP installer.
How annoying that what I designed as an instrument to achieve victory for my fav mods over the masses of AA clones became a source of inspiration for my nemesis. ;_;

But on another note, if you don't want everybody to know you're using an unregistered version of a commercial software with that annoying message, NSIS is free and I made sure that the .nsi file I used for KP is included in KP. Changing it to install other files, use other text and other picture shouldn't be too hard. But last time I used it I noticed the way I read the default install folder is buggy and not good. Plus lots of other tiny things that weren't done because I rushed it. If you download 74b3 source code in the download page, you also have the nsi to create the Spring installer, it's maybe a nsi a bit more complex, but being able to install everything in one go on a pristine computer, instead of first Spring installer then BA package installer, would be nicer.

But then NSIS use a very weird scripting system, and I'd understand you'd rather stick to your most probably much easier "Clickteam Install Creator V 2.0".

And yes, once you've completed a good installer that works well, try to either teach the BA teams how to use it for their next release, or become part of the BA team yourself.
Day

Post by Day »

NICE JOB I APREACIATE IT IL TALK TO NOIZE ABOUT THIS AND WEL MOST LIKELY INCLUDE IT FOR THE CURRENT AND NEXT VERSION :3

<3
cong06

Post by cong06 »

Caydr wrote:Maybe remove some of those overplayed ones like Altored too.
overplayed? maybe they're Commonly played, but overplayed means that...

anyway, if they're real common, then I think they should be included. If the general populas feels like the map is good, then I think It should be included in the pack. Whether or not anyone thinks the map is played too much.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

But then NSIS use a very weird scripting system, and I'd understand you'd rather stick to your most probably much easier "Clickteam Install Creator V 2.0".
Instead of NSIS, use Inno Setup. It's free as well but doesn't include the most retarded scripting language ever.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

I have it up now, with some modifications:
Changes
  • Removed Small Supreme Islands
    Replaced Comet Catcher Remake with CC Redux (at the request of several forum members)
Check my original post for the link.

Also, I will try out those installer makers above, see if they are OK. I will happily work with the BA team, but I wish to be MOD-NEUTRAL when it comes to this. I want to promote spring as a whole, and I will not favour any mods in particular. Except for the ones I like. :lol:

If anyone wants me to make an installer for their mod, please notify me. I will try to make one if I can.

Feedback strongly appreciated on this installer.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

this package idea should be default <3
cong06

Post by cong06 »

I like it.

I have some friends who play Spring, and aren't really connected to the community. This will work perfectly for them.

Return to “General Discussion”