Eight XTA Autohosts... Are they nessessary?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Most of the day the XTA autohosts are never used, there are eight autohost servers and they take up room in the games list. Is there a reason for there being 8 Autohosts? And also the ammount of additional spam you get from maplink and modlink bot commands opening up 8 different windows.

Preferably atleast 1-2 Autohosts of the same MOD should only really be active.

Your thoughts?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think some of the people who put up XTA autohosts might be persuaded to move them to other games, but that is their decision. Eventually, I expect there will be a need for that many autohosts, but not in the near future.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

autohosts are pretty unnecessary in general.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Given the low number of players, I would agree with you at this stage, though I thank Licho for his work. However, I plan for there to be a use for them in the distant future, when I can generate an influx of new players, fresh-faced recruits from the fields of Babylon, Athens and Corinth.
pintle

Post by pintle »

A few autohosts are hardly that hard to scroll past, i manage to filter through enough altored games.

The XTA autohost 1, provided kindly by myg, has 100+ hrs in game. I am one of the only members of RoX who can host, and because of my hilarious router, i can't host for half of RoX, so we use the autohost. In fact, most XTA games are played on that autohost.

Fair craic, 8 is excessive, but imo it would be more constructive to take it up with the people running the bots, not the mods.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

If you got a spare autohost, a Kernel Panic autohost would be appreciated.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

pintle wrote:A few autohosts are hardly that hard to scroll past, i manage to filter through enough altored games.

The XTA autohost 1, provided kindly by myg, has 100+ hrs in game. I am one of the only members of RoX who can host, and because of my hilarious router, i can't host for half of RoX, so we use the autohost. In fact, most XTA games are played on that autohost.

Fair craic, 8 is excessive, but imo it would be more constructive to take it up with the people running the bots, not the mods.
how about just 2 autohosts
pintle

Post by pintle »

As i said, take it up with the guys running the hosts. 2 would be fine by me.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I like playing on autohost servers generally... I'm a little confused why the XTA hoster has decided they need 8 autohost servers, I rarely see more then 1 game going on, but it's not like I'm going to ban them for being empty most of the time. As long as it doesn't start getting annoying, IE, I have to scroll down 3 times to view a non autohost server.

I'm not sure who's hosting them, but seriously, you're pushing it with 8, don't try the limits.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Eight is peak. Usually there are between two and five.
caldera

Post by caldera »

many autohost is good, but perhaps they should enabe voterehost, so users can change the mod easily
Complicated

Post by Complicated »

Not many people play XTA. Normally people are playing BA :/

And oh yeah, someone fix Nogoons the crash-iest autohost :/
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

XTA is a fairly well played game on the engine, actually, but yes - BA is in the #1 spot, as usual.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Three of them are for other mods (ca, kp and sb)
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Nice, you make the autohosts play other mods but keep the name "XTA_Autohost_#" :roll:

:lol:
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

IMO those autohosts should exit if they are not used.

Example, if one autohost has like 4 players, one more autohost will connect to the lobby, and if that second autohost has players in, another autohost will connect, and so on... and when there is many empty autohosts, it would quit all autohosts but one.

So basically there would always be just one waiting for players.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

I think you also fail to release that most people who try xta for the first time are unable to host. They have to learn usually that the autohosts are probably going to be more useful to them then actual hosts. As it appears to be 8 autohosts, I notice some numbers inbetween missing. Although if really think scrolling down is so hard and such a damm nuisance, can't you not sort games by the mod?
caldera

Post by caldera »

IMO those autohosts should exit if they are not used.
i think there is no reason to do that. Other multiplayer games like CS also have many empty hosts. but there you have the ability to filter (empy, full, passworded...) I think its a lobby-task to filter unused hosts but not a lobby task to shut them down...
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Im the only member of SmuG who can host games does anyone mind if i just throw up 14 BA autoservers?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I don't.

Return to “General Discussion”