How do you stop LUA that cheats?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

jackalope

Post by jackalope »

How do you stop LUA designed to cheat? like the widget that automatically gives away all your units when your com dies on comends? I mean in this version not SVN
tombom

Post by tombom »

There's no way at all.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

tombom wrote:There's no way at all.
oh.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There's the lineage mode in 0.75, wher if you give all your units then your commander dies the units explode anyway, aswell as anything a borrowed unit built.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Uh, theres a difference between a player doing that and a LUA widget doing it. It actually takes a lot of skill to time your suicide mission with comm proerply on gameends so you can give away your stuff, yet stil lhave enrgy and enough support untis left for the mission. There's some lengedary demos that showed how OTA players elevated the unit transfer right before death to an art. It's really not cheaitng if the player has the skill to pull it off - same story if a player can get to the point where he can dgun planes from FPS mode with his comm.

Of course the LUA equivalent widgets I would consider a cheat. It removes that skill element from the game. Any anti-cheating measure should not penalize skilled players for, well, being skilled. It should ideally check LUA calls to make sure nothing fishy was happening.

Of course as was stated, this is an OSS game; the game can be hacked by anyone determined enough to do it and theres not a darn thing we can realistically do to stop it. Of course we have to try - i dunno if some sort of registerer for LUA commands/widgets was already suggested, but it may be a start.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

1. This particular 'cheat' also be blocked with the LuaRules share_delay gadget
Units are placed in a queue before being shared, and it can be configured so that
more expensive units take longer to share.

2. There is a .nohelp command in 0.75 that blocks Group AIs and LuaUI unit control.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Dragon45 wrote:Uh, theres a difference between a player doing that and a LUA widget doing it. It actually takes a lot of skill to time your suicide mission with comm proerply on gameends so you can give away your stuff, yet stil lhave enrgy and enough support untis left for the mission. There's some lengedary demos that showed how OTA players elevated the unit transfer right before death to an art. It's really not cheaitng if the player has the skill to pull it off - same story if a player can get to the point where he can dgun planes from FPS mode with his comm.

Of course the LUA equivalent widgets I would consider a cheat. It removes that skill element from the game. Any anti-cheating measure should not penalize skilled players for, well, being skilled. It should ideally check LUA calls to make sure nothing fishy was happening.

Of course as was stated, this is an OSS game; the game can be hacked by anyone determined enough to do it and theres not a darn thing we can realistically do to stop it. Of course we have to try - i dunno if some sort of registerer for LUA commands/widgets was already suggested, but it may be a start.
i don't even know who you're talking to
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: How do you stop LUA that cheats?

Post by Neddie »

jackalope wrote:How do you stop LUA designed to cheat? like the widget that automatically gives away all your units when your com dies on comends? I mean in this version not SVN
I remember bringing this up a long time ago...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: How do you stop LUA that cheats?

Post by zwzsg »

Don't play Spring. It's game for lamer and cheaters. The very dev themselves actively encouraged the creation and distribution of cheats such as group AIs or LUA widgets. Instead, go play a real game, that takes SKILL and STRATEGY, such as Starcraft. In Spring, everything is so watered down you don't even have to play, the games plays for you, it's not a game but a firework simulator to put on your screen during winter. I mean, c'mon, you can select hundreds of units at once? That's plain cheating! In real RTS, you have to micromanage groups of 9-12 most, and so mounting any attack actually takes SKILL. Then there's the repeat button, which make the game be played for you, and so remove all skill. In other game, you have to maintain a high APM to keep your doods running, but in Spring, you could go take a cofee while your units keeps do their stuff alone, in fact Spring was made by lamers who could never stand a chance because they never learnt the game, so they made that Spring thing where skills doesn't matter anymore so they could win. Pussies! In any real RTS, it takes real skill to make simultanuous attack, in Spring all you have is to use the "wait" command, which is very stupid because now any n00blet can do it. In a REAL rts, it takes so much SKILL to perform a marine drop that whole books have be written on it, now what with Spring, area load, area unload and repeat command, how lame! Then there's the "group AI" hahaha, that is like cheat code, but integrated into the game. It's for people that are so dumb they have no clue what to do, and need the computer to manage their own units. I can't even fathom why would people enjoy a game where they don't even play. I mean, c'mon, what where they thinking when they made that group AI thing? And it's shipped with Spring by default, since early versions! Pff idiots. No really, from the start Spring was built to remove all the skill and actual STRATEGY from the game. LUA is just the cherry on top of the lamerz cheating noob cake. Take my word, leave and don't turn back. Spring is rooted to the core. It is a game for the n00bs.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I glanced at zwzsg's post and I was like "wtf is he smoking?"

Then I read it and I lolled IRL :lol:
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Starcraft is a fun game.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Someone has taken out half the posts in this thread.
tombom

Post by tombom »

AF wrote:Someone has taken out half the posts in this thread.
Usually you'd say this is a good thing :?

It was a dumb derail with you trolling somebody else and somebody else calling you a child, it's not that big a deal.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Im used to do that in team games when i make suicide bomb... but i dont use shit LUA.

We should have option: DISABLE LUA before starting game... LUA is becaming very annoying when others uses it and others doesnt... its like using drugs in the olympics, if you dont use it, you will lose. So you are basically forced to use it, but i dont like LUA :(

LUA is basically just a cheat mode... especially in speedball maps where you can easily control your nanos with LUA, i really dislike that cheat... it makes me lose just because im not using LUA :cry:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Then freaking use Lua. It's used for stuff that would be added to the UI if we had more devs. Don't play cripple Spring!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

LUA is bad for your health. I WONT TOUCH IT.
Lolsquad_Steven

What does LUA do that's usefull?
Lolsquad_Steven

I mean more than useful, you know...
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Trademark:

Firstly, get the terminology right. It isn't LUA that you want to rail against,
it's LuaUI. There are now 6 different Spring features that use the lua
language, so differentiation is warranted. Chronological listing:
1. Start Scripts
2. KeyAutoBinder
3. LuaUI
4. LuaRules
5. LuaGaia
6. LuaCob

Secondly, I've already added the ".nohost" command. Until something is done
to allow for more flexible game setup control from lobby clients, that's the best
you'll have (here's the irony, you could setup LuaUI to automatically execute
that command whenever you are host).

Thirdly, which specific LuaUI widgets/features are showing you up?
"Control your nanos with LUA" -- you mean the advanced task on putting
them in Roam mode and giving them a patrol order? I really hope you have a
better example than that. ;-)
quantum

Post by quantum »

All the things that LuaUI takes out of the player's hand aren't really things that enhance the game. Like setting your factiories on repeat, putting your rockos on hold position, giving patrol orders to each nano, and remembering to give your stuff away before you die. All that falls in the pointless micro category, and Spring is designed around the principle that pointless micro is to be avoided.

Comm ends in team games are silly in .74b3 and earlier, and you didn't need my widget to realize it. It doesn't make much difference if you eluded the comm ends rule with a widget or you remembered to do it yourself.

Besides, it's on UF, available to everyone, and it announces clearly it's name when it has been used. It's no unfair advantage.

Return to “General Discussion”