Community promotion: digg.com - Page 2

Community promotion: digg.com

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I think the main aim with digg.com is raising awareness of the game, that such a game actually exists. For example browsing any linux forum, where people ask "what's a good linux game", no-one mention spring at all! People mention games like battle for wesnoth, tremulous, tuxracer, but miss out spring. Yes, I know that this is probably because of the non-existent lobby (not for long) but some-one would at least mention it, if they knew about it.

In the end, like neddiedrow said, digg.com has only a small part to play in the entire plan, although I'll still enjoy watching the stats grow, and proving you pessimists wrong; this will have better long-term effects!

BTW The whole point of this post was to get you people to sign up to digg, so we have a better chance of getting to front page. There's no point of discussing the effects of digg, without actually getting on the frong page! - I'm still waiting for a single email!
Last edited by Lippy on 05 Jun 2007, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
1v0ry_k1ng

Re: Community promotion: digg.com

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

zwzsg wrote:Maybe XTA effects improved a bit, but beside flashier dgun shots there won't be much difference.
you might want to take a look at v9 when its released lol
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'll address some brief points during this, my lunch break.

I'm using Smoth's boards because he was willing to trust me with a subforum and moderator status within said subforum. In addition, the community on Smoth's site, while not completely representative, contains many people from here and is relatively productive.

Packages have met with varied responses in the studies I've conducted thus far. People favour game-specific packages, but dislike more varied ones. Install executables are a plus, zip files are a minus. Thirty megabytes seems to be the upper intro limit for a download. This means that Kernel Panic has it in the bag, the rest need work.

I am going to help Cup revise the starting guide.

We can package RAI for most games.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

i have no idea about licensing issues, but how hard would it be, once a single player menu would be ready to have mod-specific spring packages?

i mean create a download kernel panic-spring, defining it as stand-alone game wich uses the spring engine.

will include the engine, few maps wich will suit well the game and an appropriate AI, and all you need to play.

IMHO would help a lot the diffusion of different mods and increase the user-friendliness

also, if you want to instill more the concept of the mods as stand-alone games, also iamacup could categorize maps by mods;

ie. the maps section will have an aoption to filter maps to show only maps wich the authoer has declared compatibility for X mod.

when clicking "get more maps", it would redirect to the page already filtered with suitable maps.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We can tag it, if there is a demand.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

I like Braindamage's idea. I mean it needs to all be there (SP, maps and AI in particular) or else it won't work. But if it can be made to work it'll be like browsing gamemaker games or whatnot.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Brain Damage wrote:i have no idea about licensing issues, but how hard would it be, once a single player menu would be ready to have mod-specific spring packages?

i mean create a download kernel panic-spring, defining it as stand-alone game wich uses the spring engine.

will include the engine, few maps wich will suit well the game and an appropriate AI, and all you need to play.
I wanted to do that. So far I have an installer exe with the mods, few maps, an AI, and some pretty crude single player script, but it still requires Spring to be installed first. For the next stage, I wanted to grab Spring's NSI script and add it to my own to create a full installer that containts Spring + KP. But the nsi I found on the SVN were for version 0.75, not 0.74b3, and also there's lots of batches, included .sh, and other stuff which made it a bit confusing at first glance. Hopefully for KP 1.4 I'll take the time to look into that and make my own stand-alone installer. Then I will need to find a volunteer for a KP autohost (can't host myself). Then I can started advertising KP out of Spring community. But don't count on any of this of course, I've got too many ideas and not enough time.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Is the NSI not in the 74b3 source package you can grab from the download page?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

KDR_11k wrote:Is the NSI not in the 74b3 source package you can grab from the download page?
Oh indeed there's a 74b3 nsi in there. :oops:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Okay, I signed up for Digg

Return to “General Discussion”