The Cross-Platform Single-Player Menu - Page 2

The Cross-Platform Single-Player Menu

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Acutally, the menu can't read .SD7 or .SDZ archives YET. It must be in an actual directory, maps/previews or mod/previews, but yes, that's correct.
smoth

Post by smoth »

what about the mod maplist?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

if you don't mind a bit brainstorming :P, if i'm not mistaken, python can load c code.

lua engine is written into c

if the mod makers define some special LUA functions in theyr mods in lua to specify settings for difficulty level, the launcher could load them and change settings accordingly.

also would make the campaign mode very flexible
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Brain Damage wrote: if the mod makers define some special LUA functions in theyr mods in lua to specify settings for difficulty level, the launcher could load them and change settings accordingly.
Noted for a future feature.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Try not to do things that would need agreement from the devs of 6 or 7 projects without discussing it. Mod previews was discussed by me hollowsoul and betalord with no suitable agreement reached. The fact nobody was currently trying to use it but all had planned it meant beyond the initial discussion there was no momentum gained.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

smoth wrote:what about the mod maplist?
i must have missed this

what do you mean with maplist?

if you mean a list of maps compatible with the mod, i think that it's better if it's the map-maker wich defines a mod-compatibility, rather than a mod-maker wich defines a map compatibility.
We constantly get new maps by mappers and it would be silly to constantly push out a mod revision, just to keep in track with the map list, afterall it's the map maker wich makes his map with the goal of the use with a certain mod(s)

if you mean a list of SUGGESTED maps, then i'm ok with it
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Filtering maps by current mod will be done via small .cfg file for each mod, along with the side names and the preview .Gif. If this .cfg file is not present, than OTA sides will be assumed, no maps filtered, no preview .GIF given, and default music selection.

I'm having trouble with the layout of the GUI, simply because it's too big. What is everyone's screen resolution? I'll try to do the layout accordingly.

Most current screencap:

Whether you use Linux or Windows, the resolution problem will be the same for both. If you have any interest in this menu, please post your native resolution. I don't think everyone runs at 1440x900 like me. :p
Agon

Post by Agon »

I use 1280*1024. For me 1024*768 is to small 8) .
smoth

Post by smoth »

1400X900 *2
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Why GIF? :?
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Thanks for the resolutions guys.
FLOZi wrote:Why GIF? :?
Because it's easy, free, portable, common, and already animated. The animations would have been tough, and GIF is just plain easier. Sorry.

I made a few modifications/enhancments to the datafile interface. The menu system is now reading from Spring's archive cache for map name, and probably will implament mod info this way too. Saves loading times, and will be compatable with all maps. This means another GUI overhaul, so it'll be a couple days before any new screenshots. I'll try to implament the music player this weekend also.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Yes, but GIF is patented :|

use PNG. It's better (minus the animation), plus IE7 supports it :P

besides, its python right? a script to load 4-5 png images into memory and then cycle through them at a specified rate cant be more than four lines or so using a generator function...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Slamoid wrote:Thanks for the resolutions guys.
FLOZi wrote:Why GIF? :?
Because it's easy, free, portable, common, and already animated. The animations would have been tough, and GIF is just plain easier. Sorry.
http://slashdot.org/articles/99/08/31/0143246.shtml
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

But why do we even need animation for the preview, really?

edit: and it'll be easier for a modder to make several frames that are animated together than an animated gif anyway.
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Alright, it will support both GIF and JPG. but no slideshow for JPG yet.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Someone noted Python can load C code:

Yes, it can. Via SwiG and CTypes. But its a PITA. A real, real PITA. Even if you know how to use it (I more or less do).
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

For everyone who's complaining:

Remember, this is open-source. I'm making this because no one else is. If you don't like it, fix it, stop complaining and do it yourself.

On another note:

Music player will take a long time, so it won't be included in the first release. I'm shifting to a new alliance system and I already changed the map/mod selection system AGAIN. First release will suck, but is coming soon. I also am including a button to launch the dedicated Spring Settings Changer binary just released.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Slamoid wrote:Alright, it will support both GIF and JPG. but no slideshow for JPG yet.
yaaaaay. :-)
Agon

Post by Agon »

Music player will take a long time, so it won't be included in the first release.
Why a music player? I have my own and I can listen to music and in game sound from spring at the same time because of this s**t problem with the sound system and OpenAl config.
A music player cost a lot of time to program and I can´t imagine that someone will use it. Under Windows they use Windows Media Player (Pls stop :evil: ) or Winamp and Linux has it own good music player. I will use amarok!
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I was thinking for music for mission briefings and campaigns

Return to “General Discussion”