New to Spring...where is a unit guide?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Ogami_ito

Post by Ogami_ito »

Hi

I just started Spring. I played the SupCon demo on my parents computer and it rocked. But my computer is too old to play it well (even though I have 2.4ghz processor). So on their forum I read a post about Spring. Wow. Cool game and free too. I think I like it more than SupCon, even though UI interface is not completely commercial grade yet.

Now, I'm playing against bots now unitl I feel I know how units work. Problem is, I really don't know anything about each sides units. Is there a link to a unit guide somewhere?

One more thing... I have read some people say starting build should be vehicle or kbot instead of air because of cost. To me, the air constructors can gain metal quicker (I'm playing the mars map which is 16X16 and has mountains). Anyone have advice on which factory is better to build first?

Thanks
DJ

Post by DJ »

The unit guide depends on what mod you are playing really. This page on the wiki contains the unit guide for XTA which comes with the game:-

http://p15111940.pureserver.info/xta_v8.1/

As for the strategy involved I would recommend reading the following, as regards starting with air whilst it can gain resources all over the map very quickly it can also leave you hugely exposed to attack...

http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtop ... =xta+guide
Ling_Lover

Post by Ling_Lover »

Hey,

Depending on the mod you're playing, the units will be different (Spring is the name of the engine, the Mod's are technically seperate from it).

If you just got it, presuming you havn't downloaded anything else, you will be playing XTA. This is an TA-based mod, but with some fundamental changes.

A guide to the early XTA game was made, and can be found here:
XTA guide

It is numerous images rather than an HTML document, so the format is a little strange.

I'm sorry I cannot be more help, I am not currently playing Spring.

EDIT: Gah, took too long to type it... Oh well...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Gundam unit Guide

Gundam RTS has one see link above.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My 2.4Ghz Core 2 duo pwns my 2.4Ghz pentium D 805 which pwns my celeron D 2.4Ghz, 5 or so years progress, all the same clockspeed, wildly different eprformance.

clockspeed is not a reliable indictor of performance.
Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

peldor

Post by peldor »

On a similar note (I'm new to Spring also), is there a way to click on the mini-map to move to that location. Or if it says "Sampson is under fire", is there a way to automatically go to where it is?
DJ

Post by DJ »

click the middle mouse button on the minimap to go to that location. F3 will snap the view to the last message location IE the samson that's saying its under attack.
peldor

Post by peldor »

Thanks! (quick reply too!)
DJ

Post by DJ »

No probs, if you have anymore problems try have a look round the wiki, some of the stuff is hard to find but it is in there. Failing that do a search on the forums.

If you do those things and still get no joy post a question in the help & bugs section and you'll get an answer pretty swiftly. Enjoy spring!!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: New to Spring...where is a unit guide?

Post by zwzsg »

It really depends on the mod. Spring is an engine, that can play mods with units that have nothing in common. I mean, a unit guide for this mod obviously wouldn't be at all like a unit guide for this mod, which in turn has nothing to do with this mod, which in turn ...

Spring is not a game in itself. It's more like the common engine behind several, very diverse games.

The most popular mods are based on units from the 1997 game "Total Annihilation", shortened into "TA". Not that they are the best mods, it's just that many people comes to Spring for "TA in 3D", or used to play a bit TA and feel more confident in a familar settings. However, what all those TA based mods do, is take those TA units, and completly change their stats, while keeping the rest as it is, so knowing your TA unit stats by heart won't even always help.
  • For Kernel Panic, the unit guide is written on download page. And there's so few units it takes about 5 mins of game to know them all.
  • For 1944, read some WWII history and military hardware books, and hope the modders reached their goal of historical accuracy. Or simply build nothing but mortars, they pwn everything else.
  • For StarWarSpring, as long as you're a geek you'll have no trouble guessing the role of every single unit.
  • For E&E, read:
    http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Expand_and_Exterminate
    http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/GD_Unit_Guide
    http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/URC_Unit_Guide
    It covers only level 1 units, but anyway level 2 and 3 are just like level 1, only bigger. Oh, and something charateristic of EE is the hub system. Mobile builder tank and robot cannot build factory. They can only build hub, and then hub can build factories in limited radius around itself. Hubs are expensive, so try to use the same hub to build many factories. Hubs are NOT nanotowers, don't build many hub to build assist, they aren't cost-effective for that task.
  • For GundamRTS, be an Otaku, and hope you saw the same anime as the maker of GundamRTS (Hint: he likes the old Gundam shows, not the new ones.)
  • For nanoblob, err, sorry, this one is too weird. However there's a very good chance your opponent will be as lost as you. Ah yes, herd of sheeps is what produce your ressources, it's all I remember.
There's also some common trait amongst all mods, such as the ressource system. Units and building take metal and energy to build. Often, the figure about metal are smaller than the figure about energy, but don't be fooled, often the most important ressource is metal. You get metal by building metal extractor on metallic spot on the map, you get energy by building power plants. Energy is also consummed by some weapons, but it rarely plays any role. Some mods cleverly disguise metal extractor into flags and powerplant into supply depots. Other disguise metal maker (something that eat tremendous amount of energy to produce little metal, not a a very effective way to get M) into much more effective "machine shop".

Oh, and for cold hard numbers of about every unit of every mod, there's http://modinfo.unknown-files.net but it ain't as easy to read as nice fuzzy tutorials.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

here si a very good picture orientated XTA guide for th complete beginner:

http://www.darkstars.co.uk/index.php?op ... itemId=145
manored

Post by manored »

I am making a units guide for BA, but since I am going from high tech to low tech (high tech is less used and so less know) I dont think it will be much help now... anyway:

Ba 4.7 units guide:

Tech 6 units: (Level 3 kbots)

Arm:

Bantha (tech 3 assault kbot): The Bantha is a large, powerfull kbot. He is meant for assault, but its less efficient than the large amount of tech 2 units assault units you can make with the metal you waste for him. His attack range allows him to be used as artillery, but from far away from the enemy his attack power is not very high for its price. The main reason you will want to use Bantha is that he occups a much smaller space than a group of lv2 units.

Razorback (tech 3 battle kbot): A big, fast and powerfull kbot. He is meant for attacking other units, altough large swarms of lv2 units can be more efficient at this. He can also be used for assault but again other units are more efficient at this than him. He is quite good at raiding but by the time you manage to make him your enemy will already have good defenses so its pointless. The main reason you will want to use this kbot is that he occups a much smaller space than a group of lv2 units.

Marauder (tech 3 light amphibious kbot): I believe this is the smaller and cheaper lv3 unit around, but its a nice one. Performs pretty well on assault, battle and raiding, altough not was well as lv2 units you can make with his metal. He is amphibius and altough he is defenseless underwater the smaller space occupied by groups of this kbot compared to other amphibious units makes beach invasions easier.

Vangurad (tech 3 heavy artillery kbot): The most usefull and slow lv3 unit from arm in my opinion. It is meant for artillery, and does very well on it, having a bigger range that most other artillery units and enormous firepower. It is vulnerable at close range combat, but not completly defenseless.

Core:

Krogoth (tech 3 experimental assault kbot): A kbot with immense size and power. He is very efficient at both assault and battle. His use is very recomendable if you have a strong enough economy to make him.

Karganeth (tech 3 all terrain assault mech): A big, fast and powerfull kbot. he is meant for battle, but swarms of it can be quite good against very heavy defenses (slow shotting high power ones). He is also able to attack air with his rockets. Be carefull since this kbots explodes violently and this may cause severe damage to other units near him. He can climb any height.

Juggernaut (tech 3 heavy mobile turret): A very big and resistant but very slow kbot. He is meant for defense. His shots arent strong (compared to other tech 3 kbots) but they can hit various units, what makes him good against large swarms of small units and bad against small groups of big units.

Shiva (tech 3 amphibious siege mech): A amphibious artillery kbot. Altough his attack range is not that big for artillery, he shots fast and strong, making him aceptable for close range combat too. He is defenseless while underwater.

Catapult (tech 3 heavy rocket kbot): A artillery kbot. He haves a high attack range and power, but his attack is composed of various rockets that spread around. Good against big groups of weak units/buildings. Bad against small groups of units/buildings.

Tech 5 units: (Level 2 buildings)

Arm:

Fusion reactor (produces energy/storage): Generates energy. Its more efficient than lv1 energy generators, but takes a long time and cost to build, what is compesated by its great output. Warning since this will be a great target for bombers and its explosion can damage/destroy near by units.

Cloackable Fusion reactor (produces energy/storage): Similar to the Fusion reactor, except that it is expensivier but possesses the ability to cloak (becomes invisible for units, requiring radar to be detected. Cloaked units will become visible if they attack, build or similar stuff). Wastes 200 of energy to keep the cloak on.

Experimental Gantry (produces tech3 units): Produces tech 6 (3) Kbots. Its expensive and timely to build, and a priority target for your enemys, so watch out.

Moho Geotermal Powerplant (Harzardous energy source): Generates energy. Its much more cost/efficient than a fusion reactor, but it must be built over a geovent and explodes like a nuke, so make sure to guard it against air attacks.

Prude (Safe Geotermal Powerplant): Similar to the Moho Geotermal Powerplant, except that it generates less energy but its a lot more resistant and haves a much smaller explosion.

Moho Mine (Stealhy Advanced metal extractor/storage): extracts metal from the ground. Its less cost-efficient than his tech 1 brothers, but he extracts metal faster and since the amount of metal spots is limited on most maps you will want to make it anyway. He is radar invisible and can be cloacked. (wastes 75 e to keep cloacked)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Goolash_ wrote:all units guide for all mods:
http://modinfo.unknown-files.net/modit/modit.php
that is just unit stats. Stats do not tell you how to use a unit.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: New to Spring...where is a unit guide?

Post by FLOZi »

zwzsg wrote: Or simply build nothing but mortars, they pwn everything else.
In what version? Is this still an issue in b3h? Mortar spam seemed much less common/useful to us, but maybe we underestimated the problem.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

0.01b3h but I haven't played it that much, it's just during first game I was pwnt by mortar, and was shocked to see that they're so good against everything, even anti-infantry infantry, and now I purge my bitterness for that loss by slandering 1944, which may actually be finally balanced, because another game, I spammed nothing but mortars, and they didn't seem to own that much. Well, I still won, but mostly thanks to ally, which had no mortar.
Ogami_ito

Post by Ogami_ito »

DJ wrote:click the middle mouse button on the minimap to go to that location. F3 will snap the view to the last message location IE the samson that's saying its under attack.
Man I was looking for this too. Thanks!
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Everyone seems to be going into bizzare spring political correctness mode and not mentioning BA despite it being the most played mod.

This guide on the wiki pretty much tells you a general outline about every unit and although it was written for a version of AA a long time ago most of it still is useful

http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Absolute ... tion/Units
Ogami_ito

Post by Ogami_ito »

I have read the guides about XTA. But I don├â┬ó├óÔÇÜ┬¼├óÔÇ×┬ót know anything about the lvl2 units from the available guides. I think it would be cool if there was a guide for this, as this is what comes with the game. The beginner guides are great. But when you get to techlvl2, there seem to be twice as many units├â┬ó├óÔÇÜ┬¼├é┬ªand I have no idea which ones to use. I used a heavy rocket kbot yesterday when playing against the computer├â┬ó├óÔÇÜ┬¼├é┬ªbut I used that because I saw the AI bot using it.

Return to “General Discussion”