The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning] - Page 3

The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning]

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

I can model, UV and texture.
Though, I'd have to use 3dsMax. I don't know anything about the s3o format, or the mod tools for spring.
I'd have to do it all in max.

My portfolio, if interested:
webpages.charter.net/vassago5k
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

That looks like some nice work... drop by our IRC channel at:

irc.gnug.org
#swta

If you don't have a dedicated client, join using this web-based one:
http://www.tauniverse.com/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi

And type "/j #swta" when it has connected.

I can bring you up to speed on how to use the s3o tools there, and then we can get you busy with slave lab... contributions! ;)
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Finished modelling the Imperial Advanced Fusion Reactor.

Click for pic
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Was there ever a canon reason why the games always had power generators outside of the sheild?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Well, the Power Generator on Hoth was within the shield. The shield, however, was an orbital bombardment shield, and so could protect against attacks by the orbiting Imperial Fleet, but could be passed by the Imperial ground troops.

Most of the shields you see in SW are designed for preventing energy weapons, etc, but cannot protect against slower moving objects, and so are destroyed in that way. ie: The Gungan Shield, and the Trade Federation shield were destroyed in that way.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Das Bruce wrote:Was there ever a canon reason why the games always had power generators outside of the sheild?
I would assumed that they generated the shield between the generators, so they wouldn't be included in the protection. The Gun Guns shields didn't protect themselves for the same reason.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Well, I decided to try my hand at texturing myself.

What do you all think?

Erom

Post by Erom »

Were you playing red team, by any chance? Maybe it's just my monitor, but it looks like you have a little alpha leaking through, making it a bit pink in spots.

EDIT: I should say, it does look quite good beside the pinky stains.
Last edited by Erom on 28 Jun 2006, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Gnome wrote:Yeah, it's not like we have any option but to use nanos at this time...

*hint hint nudge nudge*

We've been thinking of various ways to handle building units once we can disable nano effects, though. Some ways include simply having the units "fly" in from "other" bases rather than being built on the spot, or having them shuttled in from orbiting capital ships, or other things like that... at the very least, infantry need handled this way (barracks buildings creating men, even non-visibly, always seemed lame to me. You don't get trained at the battlefield, but having a forward barracks to stay at once you arrive isn't unheard of). We don't want to disable build-assisting though, so we'll need to think of some lame explanation as to why throwing more more con units at a factory will make units arrive faster...

And yeah, droidekas and units like that will have shields now. In fact, we're considering implementing invisible shields on all the aircraft that have them, but we need to playtest that a bit before keeping them. The GUI needs to report how much HP a shield has left...
Every RTS since Dune II has had this same approach. The fact is that the unrealistic concept of "trained/built on-site" is a well-accepted tradition of RTS games, much like how in FPS games the hero can carry 10 large guns, finds ammo in various inexplicqable places, and can use medical equipment instantaneously. C&C had a slight departure where the GDI construction facility was an air field, but the troops still came from the barracks.

Probably the best approach though if you want an "air field" effect would just have the units nano'd out of sight. Unfortunately I don't think you can script a building to open only when a unit is trying to leave. You could get away with having closed barracks for ground units - they leave through the bottom/sides. But air units leave through the roof.

On the other hand, you can't hide the nanos with constructing buildings.

Hmm... could you make the aircraft built hundreds of stories up, and then fly down from outside of the view to the factory?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am seeing the pink aslo but it does look good zsinj
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I see a little pink, but otherwize its a very nice looking tie fighter. So good, I'd like to eat it...if that wasn't...you know...impossible.

Also I can think of at least 2 FPS's where you don't apply medical supplies instantly, but they are still unrealistic. But its a friggen game!
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

He's colorblind (not the user... the condition), so he actually didn't realize it was red until we asked him about it. I thought he had purposely designed it that way. Anyway, I've desaturated it so it's nice and grey now.

Pxtl: That's a good reason to use a different system! ;)

The aircraft one is certainly plausible. In fact it could probably be done for pretty much any factory, having the units lifted down, using UNIT_BUILD_PERCENT_LEFT or whatever that new operator was. However, like I said, we do still want to allow assisting for now, and it also doesn't provide a method for placing factories or other buildings. Anyway, we'll figure that out in the future, for now the system we have is all we have so it's futile to focus on it.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Heh, even though I've been told, I still can't see any pink. Oh well.

What's more concerning is that I'm training to be an architect... ;)

"Why the hell is my house hot pink?!?"
"It is?"
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Heh, even though I've been told, I still can't see any pink. Oh well.

What's more concerning is that I'm training to be an architect... ;)

"Why the hell is my house hot pink?!?"
"It is?"
You could get into the niche market of houses for colourblind people...

Oh and nice model.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Here's a teaser of the texture work I'm doing for the SWTA mod.
So you know, the last screenshot is from the 3dsmax viewport.

disciplus

Post by disciplus »

great texturing :shock:
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

sweet zoombie on a pogostick, where have you been hiding all this time!
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Vassago, if you ever find yourself dissatisfied with your current job, just drop me a pm! Sure we may not be able to offer as great of a benifits package, but just look at these poor, naked, third world orphans that you'll be helping! Isn't helping such poor soles worth it? :wink:

And yes, that means I really love that texture job...

I wonder though, 1. What is the resolution of that texture? and 2. (which is more for the modeller) how many pollies?
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

This is one of the larger units, so it's using a 512x512 .dds texture (around 300kb). And it's also using around 1400 triangles for the mesh.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

NO! He's ours!

/me fends off the ravenous mob!

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”