Compiling spring (mingw and visual studio 7/8) - Page 2

Compiling spring (mingw and visual studio 7/8)

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Debug puked by not finding a freetype object during linking, and release puked with some other linking error
Are you using the LIB in the vclibs package?

Eh I guess not because it's GCC. However this error is a freetype problem, I got it when building freetype.lib as well.
You need to edit/comment out FT_USE_MODULE(otv_module_class) in ftmodule.h and rebuild.
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

I tried both, but I can try that comment out when i get home tonight. Can we make that an ifdef thingie if this is a VC7 issue, or is it codeblocks specific?
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

i rebuilt freetype with that comment out, and still got the error during linking. I then did an SVN update and tvo broke some stuff while trying to change the error popup behavior, look at revision 610 in the SVN repos. I rolled back to 609 and still get the error

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '../../lib/ft/freetype2110_D.obj'
Process terminated with status 1 (15 minutes, 41 seconds)
1 errors, 2867 warnings

not sure how to fix it but it appears part of the svn, i moved my libs over to that dir ran clean and tried again but i'm kind of confused as to why they are there when I am pointing my compiler at a differend dir for that lib. I also saw a lot of signed/unsigned mismatch warnings, are these just casts?

again sry for what may be stupid c++ noob questions
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

../../lib/ft/freetype2110_D.obj

It's shouldn't try linking to an OBJ file, but to a .lib (or a .A in gcc I'd say)

The signed/unsigned are just implicit casts yes, nothing to worry about.
Good luck in any case, it's nice you're so persistant, most people would have given up already :)
Getting it to build on a free compiler in windows would be very good, because not everyone has vs2003...

You don't sound very noobish btw ;)
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

i'd guess this is a codeblocks issue, but in the options library file extension is .lib, but it also has an object file extension .obj in the config.
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

I finally fixed the linker errors related to GLUE. Its in Step 4 on this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... usingpsdk/.
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

Just updated to revision 657 from svn://svn.berlios.de/taspring-linux/trunk and now I can finally run the spring I built with the downloadable Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express. I also had to install the Windows OpenAL runtimes. :smacks self:

It plays pretty well except the white box on build menu error. Good job to the programming team working on this port, and of course everything else.
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

There was a 2nd patch that i made that i'm not sure got applied. if you get and error about a dereferenced iterator let me know and i can send you the small patch. Have you tried to play a network game yet? I tried on the lan last night and it desynced very quickly.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I'll commit that second patch today
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

greenail wrote:There was a 2nd patch that i made that i'm not sure got applied. if you get and error about a dereferenced iterator let me know and i can send you the small patch. Have you tried to play a network game yet? I tried on the lan last night and it desynced very quickly.
I havn't tried a Land game yet. I did get an error that looked something like "patmo98 asked for wrong packet" when I was playing the debug version. I was also getting alot of delayed sync errors. It might be because the debug version runs so slow.

You know the game crashes when I click on the white box in the build menu, right?

I'll try a Lan network game tonight or tomorrow.
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

The Spring log file keeps complaining about line 27 in ARMFAST.FBI in the XTA mod. Is the center line of code valid in an FBI file?

Code: Select all

noautofire=0;
	sightdistance=330;
	/180
	radardistance=0;
	soundcategory=ARM_KBOT;
Meaby is should be changed to

Code: Select all

noautofire=0;
	sightdistance=330;//180
	radardistance=0;
	soundcategory=ARM_KBOT;
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Yea thats an error. I think most of the parsing programs just ignore it, but it might stuff up the new one for some reason.
Bobris

content of vclibs for VS2005

Post by Bobris »

Can someone provide content of vclibs for VS2005?
patmo98

Re: content of vclibs for VS2005

Post by patmo98 »

Bobris wrote:Can someone provide content of vclibs for VS2005?
I can provide you with boost, but the arcive is 9 megs. Any advice about how to get it to you?
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

i think it took about 500MB of crap to build it so 9MB is nothing :) I may be able to upload it into svn, I don't think it will overlap with the VC 7_1 stuff because of it's naming convention.

anyone have any objections to this?
Bobris

Post by Bobris »

I could undestand that it should not be in svn because it has no use for Linux guys. And even vclibs for 7.1 are not in SVN. But I expect it could be on FileUniverse.
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

Bobris wrote:I could undestand that it should not be in svn because it has no use for Linux guys. And even vclibs for 7.1 are not in SVN. But I expect it could be on FileUniverse.
I posted the VS8 copy of boost up on fileuniverse http://fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=2416.
Last edited by patmo98 on 16 Mar 2006, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bobris

Post by Bobris »

Thanks for this. I was succesfully build Spring using VS2005, current SVN sources. Only things which I have to change.
Imported rts project from 7.1.
Broken includes to "bitmap.h".
Fix include in "rts.rc" to "resource.h".
Added /NODEFAULTLIB:"LIBC" to linker - don't know where to fix it more correctly.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I broke the build again
*Zaphod hides*
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Hi, I´ve been trying to compile the source (from Subversion) with VS C++ 2005 Express Edition but I´ve been getting these errors:

c:\programme\spring source\rts\system\platform\win\dxsound.h(13) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dsound.h': No such file or directory
and
c:\programme\spring source\rts\system\platform\win\dxsound.h(10) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dsound.h': No such file or directory

I searched for the file on my computer but it was nowhere to be found... :(

I´d be glad for any help :D .

Return to “Engine”