Decline in BA players - Page 6

Decline in BA players

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Cheesecan

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

zwzsg wrote:http://www.lostgarden.com/2009/11/testo ... -play.html

In brief: If ur not winner ur gay!
This page perfectly explains the state of BA and why newbies cluster to DSD. Also explains why strangers get the blunt of harassment from pros whereas recognized players don't.
wahoo

Post by wahoo »

That also explains why the most frequently drawn image on the map is penis.
Floris

Post by Floris »

Epic article,

Epic replies of cheesecan and wahoo.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Cheesecan wrote:
AF wrote:I think the one thing everyone has seriously overlooked was the recent utter death of XTA according to the graph.
Oh lol now that you mention it.. I think a lot/all of XTA players went to ZK
some did, some went to uni/got jobs, rest moved to LoL
ZK has ZKLobby. None of the rest of us can emulate that. The lobbies we use are lolz in comparison. It's no great shock that zk is doing just fine.

Evo would be doing great, but I can't retain online players. #1 complaint, "Lobby wtf is this I don't even..."
I think it also helps that ZK is like RTS crack with flat balance, customized commanders, unlockables, shiny FX, weird weapons and units, minimal use of damage modifiers, economic streamlining & factory plop.. its just interesting.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

I can't play, my inet connection sucks now.

Zero-K has the planetwars thing, which makes the individual battles feel a bit less like a waste of time. If BA had similar, I am sure popularity would rise again. OTA had a resurgence of play with battlegrounds and the Phoenix Project, for that reason.

Also, something has to be done about late game flea and AK spam. It not only lags people out, it really takes the fun out of the late game. I would suggest a heavily armored vehicle that pulses out a wave that has mass damage multiplier vs pewees, aks, flashes, jeffies, and fleas. It has to be done, it really does. Then, for LOS, (one of the more legitimate reasons for flea spam) some of the bigger T3 units need much longer LOS.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:
AF wrote:I think the one thing everyone has seriously overlooked was the recent utter death of XTA according to the graph.
Oh lol now that you mention it.. I think a lot/all of XTA players went to ZK
some did, some went to uni/got jobs, rest moved to LoL
I did that but still stayed.. guess some of us never grow up. :mrgreen:
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

wahoo wrote:That also explains why the most frequently drawn image on the map is penis.
It's the Russian players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQC59ZrVaOY
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

NeOmega wrote:
wahoo wrote:That also explains why the most frequently drawn image on the map is penis.
It's the Russian players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQC59ZrVaOY
This was done next to one of KGB headquarters in Saint-Petersburg.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Exciting, my 3rd post in 5 years it seems.
Cheesecan wrote:
zwzsg wrote:http://www.lostgarden.com/2009/11/testo ... -play.html

In brief: If ur not winner ur gay!
This page perfectly explains the state of BA and why newbies cluster to DSD. Also explains why strangers get the blunt of harassment from pros whereas recognized players don't.
Though on the positive side, wouldn't the 3rd section of the article also hold the key to basically all successful communities?

I've played on this one Neverwinter Nights server for about 5, 6 years now. For a game over 10 years old, the server has managed a very active playerbase of many hundreds, while almost all other Neverwinter Nights servers have had splits, lengthy downtimes, community reforms and so forth.

With that experience, it comes fairly obvious that the only way games with minimal advertisement can maintain active playerbase, is through community effort. And I don't mean everyone developing the game itself; That is rarely the crucial point. But what really should be understood, is that all multiplayer games are made primarily of players themselves. Each player is part of the total fun and interest and really needs to do their best to be welcoming not only to new players, but also to the established players.

I do find competitive playing fun at times, but when I no longer know the players - and especially when they act like well, assholes - it's a whole another experience of frustration and getting pissed off.

So in summation, things can be much helped on the very root level, by just being nice to others. It's also cheap to do, and something anyone can do, an elite programmer and gamer or not.
Cheesecan wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
Cheesecan wrote: some did, some went to uni/got jobs, rest moved to LoL
I did that but still stayed.. guess some of us never grow up. :mrgreen:
I got both into uni and got employed twice and changed city thrice! And I still play! :lol:
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

tzaeru wrote: I've played on this one Neverwinter Nights server for about 5, 6 years now. For a game over 10 years old, the server has managed a very active playerbase of many hundreds, while almost all other Neverwinter Nights servers have had splits, lengthy downtimes, community reforms and so forth.
NWN 2? I play on the server sometimes that another player here used to moderate. It has a very active fanbase, on saturdays/sundays, it is full. (70/70) (BGTSCC)
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

ITT: non-BA players talk about decline of BA
also: other unrelated shit
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

NeOmega wrote:
tzaeru wrote: I've played on this one Neverwinter Nights server for about 5, 6 years now. For a game over 10 years old, the server has managed a very active playerbase of many hundreds, while almost all other Neverwinter Nights servers have had splits, lengthy downtimes, community reforms and so forth.
NWN 2? I play on the server sometimes that another player here used to moderate. It has a very active fanbase, on saturdays/sundays, it is full. (70/70) (BGTSCC)
NWN 1, actually. :)

I like to use it as an example of how succesful community maintained by volunteers gets achieved. Granted, NWN is a commercial game, but it's no longer advertised and it's graphics are way outdated compared to what Spring can do.

But, if you are afraid of BA losing players, you can always do your best to promote it a bit once BAR gets out. I think there's a lot possibility in it to maintain active player amounts for another ten years to come.. :wink:
scifi

Post by scifi »

to be honest no community has ever made me stick with it for so much time as spring has.

Even though i don´t play as actively as i did i still roam the forums :wink:

So "something" is being done right in my view.
In my personal opinion i knew a lot of guys in spring that left, they made me leave also, not finding the same guys in lobby to play with, makes me not wanna play it tbh.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I wonder...
What do all the BA fans who are still playing it think is wrong? Why do you think BA is losing players?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Wishfool thinkering?
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Its just if you ask the same conservative group everything is perfect and nothing needs to change...

So i truly am wondering what the status quo supporters think is going on...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I wonder...
What do all the BA fans who are still playing it think is wrong? Why do you think BA is losing players?
Well I stopped playing mainly due to the lack of challenge 8)
smoth

Post by smoth »

a cascade of seriously gamebreaking pathing and other issues in the engine for the past year.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

smoth wrote:
a cascade of seriously gamebreaking pathing and other issues in the engine for the past year.
that plus stagnant small community with little chance of growing because of big barriers to entry. and a thousand other things that can be fixed and have been talked about.
smoth

Post by smoth »

speaking of that, will ba get an installer?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”