Please add tapatalk support for this forum - Page 2

Please add tapatalk support for this forum

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

koshi
Lobby Developer

Re: Please add tapatalk support for this forum

Post by koshi »

This has become relevant to my interests so I tried to apply the patch. It made my git kinda sad with whitespace crap though so I got the zip you attached earlier and added that again. And for good measure added the js in all themes.
https://github.com/spring/spring-website/pull/13
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Code: Select all

Current Status: Not Published
Verify Installation Status
Not Installed: Cannot detect http://springrts.com/phpbb/mobiquo/mobiquo.php. Check this file existence and try again.
Oh wait, request means that it isn't in just yet. Ok.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Installation

Installation is easy. It does not change any of your forum settings or overwrite any of your existing forum code and configuration. Simply follow the procedure below:

phpBB - Installation
Place the zip package at the root of your forum system.
Unzip the package. You should see a directory called "mobiquo" inside your forum system root directory. For example, if your forum URL is http://www.mysite.com/forum, it should be placed at http://www.mysite.com/forum/mobiquo/.
Go to Administration Control Panel, Choose "STYLES", then "Templates"
For each installed template, locate the overall_header.html, locate the following HTML tag:

<head>
Insert the following line below the tag:

<script type="text/javascript" src="{ROOT_PATH}mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script>
Purge the forum cache by "Resynchronize or reset statistics" in the "General" section, click "Purge the cache".
mobiquo_pb30_3_2_0.zip
(733.02 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Tbh I hate websites that spam me to use app X which costs money..
WTF ..

If you want proper android/mobile support just make forum generate lighter mobile html .. thats all thats needed imo.

Dont want this forum to serve as yet another advertising platform for commercial apps. No thanks!

Get this crap out please.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Licho, tapatalk is VERY well known in the android and ios worlds, it is not something randomly cooked up. It is the forum software app for android and ios.

Also, wtf are you talking about spamming you? Do some research please before spewing crap.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=653

XDA developers, the premier, most forefront of android development using Tapatalk for mobiles. By clicking on that link are you suddenly assaulted? No.

Edit: In case you are talking about the signitures "Sent from my xxx using tapatalk", those are already disabled on the admin panel of tapatalk. If you will give me the email address of the paypal account used for donations, it has a spot for that so that people can donate directly from their phone as well.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I know this stuff very well, it pops up on every damn forum page, incredibly annoying.

And yes xda forum using this app is also very annoying! But then again thats just commercial forum site full of adverts..

This forum should not tell people to use commercial paid software to view it!
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Enabling people to use a dedicated software for this forum is very far from telling them to. There is nothing encroaching on the user's ability to just use his mobile browser as always.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Licho wrote:I know this stuff very well, it pops up on every damn forum page, incredibly annoying.
Only if it's configured to do so.
koshi wrote:Enabling people to use a dedicated software for this forum is very far from telling them to. There is nothing encroaching on the user's ability to just use his mobile browser as always.
^^ this.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Tapatalk support would be really awesome. I love it since I use it (like one week or something). Too bad spring forums do not seem to support it :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No idea how trustworthy the mobiquo code is.
And 911 was an inside job #conspiracy

That comment is especially hilarious when you bother to look at how badly this website is coded.
Don't got an iPhone.
It's not for iPhones exclusively, it's for iOS, Android and Blackberry. You mean to tell me that your phone does not run any of the above listed software? If that is the case, it's no wonder this website is firmly rooted in the dark ages.

I totally get it, people are afraid of what they do not understand.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Tbh, I would wholeheartedly vote against this (if there was an option) As I also can not stand commercial adverts on OSS websites which do not directly support the OSS project.

If the app owners were to donate to spring, that would be understandable. Alternatively if someone implements a plugin to purge the "Wrote this useless post from this useless app" crap in every single post made...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

By that logic, because phpbb hasn't donated to spring, then their forum software has no business being on this server.

Tapatalk doesn't throw up advertisements.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Image Image

This is really fucking irritating to post on from a phone. Why? Basically because it lags and when you get into multi line posting its a serious pain in the ass. It is a different experience on different ROMs. On ICS I can just pull it down some more and it doesnt complain. On Sense ROMs its a bit more complicated because of the way the keyboard works.

This forums has some of the dumbest smart people I have ever met. Its a complete mindfuck.

Tapatalk integrates the forum into a native app which acts as a browsing/posting portal for mobile devices.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:By that logic, because phpbb hasn't donated to spring, then their forum software has no business being on this server.
http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php
http://www.phpbb.com/
Yeh, because FOSS that is phpbb is the same as proprietary software like tapatalk which seems to have some sort of branding on the site if you opt for the free version. It's also third party software with serious security issues in the past (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723370), which from what I have seen has failed to be reviewed by the phpbb team (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&start=15) mostly due to not showing the code to the moddb review team.

Also, can't we just go with FOSS solutions? I'm not that knowledgeable with forum software, but apparently there are some "mobile styles" already for phpbb (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13148502, http://www.artodia.com/phpbb-mobile/index.html), can't we just use that?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Gajop, the ad is displayed on the app itself. Not on the forum.

Fact, posting on the forum via website/mobile browser is nowhere near as convenient as using a native app for it.

There is also forumrunner. Native apps add a LOT of features, like push notifications on subscribed topics, and a giant list of other things.
Forum Runner Features:
Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use interface with multiple notification types (Private message, subscription, etc)
Fully customizable home screen with favorite forums
Monetize your Forum using Google AdSense (Obviously this is optional)
FREE push notification support! Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
Poll updates (Messages/Subscriptions) from favorites on home screen
View graphical poll results and vote on forum polls
Basic moderation support for forum moderators and admins
Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
View a thread page's image attachments in one convienient browser
Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod Touch library
Fully searchable forums
View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
Supports portrait AND landscape mode in app
Full posting options (quote posts, start new reply)
Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take photo from camera and upload to forum)
Full support for private messages and private message folders
Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads!
Forumrunner app is 2 bucks and tapatalk is 1.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ << One of the largest forums on the internet, uses forumrunner.

http://www.forumrunner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85
AVS Forum Statistics

Threads: 1,303,627, Posts: 21,394,932, Members: 1,033,749
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Posting on anything from a phone in landscape is a nightmare, be it a forum or even texting or writing notes, there just isn't enough space to see what is going on, even when the visible region above the keyboard is entirely given over to what you're typing.

Aside from the reduced typing speed and accuracy of having to move your thumbs further between keys ( yes ergonomically it is faster to thumb type in portrait ( yes, yes you can thumb type on touch phones in portrait, and a lot of people can do it well without even looking at the screen)), there's the major problem that phpbb is shit. It's a backwards legacy ancient piece of software. It's merits lie in its popularity and it's ability to establish itself, but it isn't as performant or flexible as it could be, holds no means of extending it without hackish modifications to core files, and has grown an ecosystem dedicated to perfecting the kludges necessary to fix it's fundamental design flaws.

This combined with the incompetence of other forum software developers who attempt to copy what phpbb did wrong in order to build something that didn't make the same mistakes as phpbb has also meant that for a long time it's been the only comprehensive opensource forum software available.

Grafting Tapatalk on top is not going to fix the issue longterm, nor will it detract from the fact that this sites implementation is a steaming pile a BS.

All it does is give a vocal minority a small breathing compartment to dwell in and pretend that none of it exists so that they may pretend that there is some form of sanity to be found here.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Well even though this was spam bumped I'm gonna have to go ahead and bump it myself because I'm completely for adding a beneficial feature which would make it easier to post to and read yet another forum from the ease that is tapatalk. Although it took me a long time to fork out a dollar(I'm pretty sure the alternative soda was much more unhealthy anyway) I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.

And although I agree with the values of not being involved with a paid app, I believe its pros outway that ONE con, even if it is a large one. If there were a FOSS solution as good as tapatalk there would be no question I'd rather have that.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

In case anybody missed the other thread: tapatalk support is now enabled.

Return to “General Discussion”