Multiplayer Teams & First Person

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

I was the last post before the site was so rudely hacked.
I was wondering if you could play as the same team, control the same units because I have a few friends who to my sadness don't like RTSs, but love FPSs. I thought it would be cool if I could manage the building Goliaths and Krogoths while they hopped into my creations and fought for me. I'm also wondering how the actual controls of first person mode work. The movement of vehicles in C&C renegade would work well I think.

Yours Truly
Diggz2k
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

The answer to the orriginal question was "Yes".
deth

Post by deth »

Thats Awesome. :shock:
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

deth wrote:Thats Awesome. :shock:
I would say it was moderatly satysfying.
Syffer Bidan

I disagree.

Post by Syffer Bidan »

I would have to disagree there. I think it is very satisfying. For a matter of fact, that may open up a new game type for the modding community, seeing as the RTS genre only implements basic deathmatches. I could see the modding community creating servers where there is only one CORE and one ARM faction, and everyone that enters the server (the server is open up until the end of the match) will be auto-assigned to a team.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Hum, if you want to join a game after the begining, you will have to download de diff from the original map and the modified one (terrain deformation)
Longaxe

Post by Longaxe »

It├óÔé¼Ôäós kind of cool, but right now I don├óÔé¼Ôäót think first person is implemented that great. The models look terrible in first person, and I don├óÔé¼Ôäót think you can aim like in a FPS, rather you can toggle between targets at least that├óÔé¼Ôäós how it seems to me.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

the point of this game is not an fps. the fps is more like a... bonus option. furthermore, if you don't like the models because they are missing faces... make them yourself. we are programmers, not modelers :) the way multiplayer works now is you can have multiple players on a "team", who control the same units, the equivalent of a single OTA "player". Each team can be a member of an "allyteam", which is the equivalent of an alliance. Everyone here shares los. Finally, allyteams can have one way alliances with other allyteams, allowing for a dynamic alliance system where you can make/break alliances midgame.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

:shock: You stand on the brink of merging FPS and RTS and you slur one callign it a bonus?! Pull this off and you will have a far greater pool of users to attract than if you did a bogstandard RTS.
sp2danny72

Post by sp2danny72 »

I agree...
A RTS/FPS game where one player on each side is
'commander' and the rest play in FPS style is some-
thing I wanted to play for a looong time...
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Rise of Nations had some excellent multiplayer options. I think you SY would really like them.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Yeah, rise of nation has a tons of various multiplayer game.

And for alliance, allies of my allies are my allies?
I hope no. Like that, you can make funny style of game:
Everybody must kill here right neighbor, or every body have their neighbor for allies (for 5 and more player).
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

"The current goal is to make it run content from the game Total Annihilation."

As for FPS implication.

I don't want any extra effort put into this that might subtract from getting a well refined and streamlined RTS.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

sp2danny72 wrote:A RTS/FPS game where one player on each side is
'commander' and the rest play in FPS style is some-
thing I wanted to play for a looong time...
That has already been done a few times. The Half-Life mod Natural Selection and the game Savage: Battle for Newerth comes to mind.

Return to “General Discussion”