Diablo 3 in a nutshell

Diablo 3 in a nutshell

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Diablo 3 in a nutshell

Post by rattle »

luckywaldo7

Re: Diablo 3 in a nutshell

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I dont see how you can get any sort of gratification from playing a game where you buy your success.
D:

I'm surprised that he is so surprised at Blizzard milking their customers though. I thought most of us were already disillusioned after SC2 was broken into 3 releases.
smoth

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote: most of us were already disillusioned after SC2 was broken into 3 releases.

RESPECT KNUCKLES!
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Going to play it with friends, never with strangers, as always.

So, his point, while valid, doesn't concern me (nor everyone).
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Interesting too see how deep a game developer can fall down...
But I've seen much worser stuff then that...

Oh well there will give enough alternatives,

today we have nowadays alot of (MMO)RPG anyway...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

cant comment .. stopped buying blizzard products after frozzen throne. Never entered wow (have a friend who lost quite the grib on life with that thing- makes me feel guilty for making a game, every time i think of him) - never even considered going back to sc2 or diablo3. Seperate beds, seperate ways, seperate planets (as i keep it with EA).

I dont like how this industry ages. Just looking at the games buisness news letter, where they talk about how to avoid legislation beating them up, once its gets to obvious that the biggest spend income from free2play are teenagers bleeding mums or dadys credit card dry...

well.. im here- on the good side.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I haven't played any Diablo game with strangers so I don't care about microtransactions at all. Yeah, that may create a two class society but I was "second class" in Hellgate as well and didn't care.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Masse just showed me this for some good laughs!
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diabl ... er-reviews

Yep. Now after playing the D3, TL2 and PoE beta I know that I have invested my money correctly on Grim Dawn's developement. Why? Because I know Grim Dawn is going to be medieval Titan Quest on steroids, and Titan Quest was a good game. Period.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I would laugh if the state of the industry didn't depress me so much. Gaming should not make one depressed.
scifi

Post by scifi »

well to me, the game isn't bad, its just not the awesome sauce you'd expect of a sequel to Diablo II.

Its just a regular game, with average quality.

Although im not a big fan of bioware.
Diablo is a bit like Dragon Age II, not a bad game, but not a good sequel.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

After spending the first day on troubles with the various parts of that online-only infrastructure I played it for most of today. The game's fun but your options feel very limited, I'm playing as a mage and find myself using a very small number of spells even compared to the ones that I have unlocked because of the equipable skill slot system and the effort needed to switch to a more situationally appropriate spell. I keep using a spell selection that works for most cases and I don't want to change it up because it works (also because most slots only offer alternatives that suck). Unlocking new spells only results in a glance whether that spell is more useful than my current one (usually no) and then continuing using one spell. I got charged bolt with death explosion as my attack skill (very good spam killer) and an ice beam on the heavy attack (seems to be the best option for killing high HP targets), that covers the regular mass combat plus the occasional big monster so it seems like the optimal combo. Trading the charged bolt for something else would sacrifice my spam killing ability and changing the ice beam means I get worse against heavy targets.
scifi

Post by scifi »

KDR yh, they limited customization compared to Diablo II. And some spells are quite awkward.

Btw has anyone heard how the PvP will work?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

rationally speaking, a huge amount of the decision to allow the auction house comes from difficulty of farming in Diablo. It's going to be a hard game to Bot items of any actual value. It's been designed as a skill based and a loot based game, meaning, you need skill to get loot.

China isn't as fertile a farming market as it used to, it might be India or Indonesia or something like that next, but I think this is a reasonable economic decision for blizzard to make right now.

It's gonna hurt the PvP market to some degree... but to be honest, PvP has always been an afterthought in Diablo games... And it's not impossible to work around this type of stuff to some degree.
smoth

Post by smoth »

to be fair(or unfair) they did have many developers leave(hellgate team) and they have been bought-out by a soulless conglomerate. A pedestrian arpg should not be a surprise. They are not the company we once loved as gamers :\.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The game will be fun for a while I assume but not the next couple of years hack'n'slash.

I think the Blizzard we all loved ended with Warcraft 3
Last edited by rattle on 16 May 2012, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am not thrilled about the skillsets being gimped. that was the main re-playability of diablo for me.

How did you find TL2?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

rattle wrote:The game will be fun for a while I assume but not the next couple of years hack'n'slash.

I think the Blizzard we all loved ended with Warcraft 3
amen
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

KDR_11k wrote:Trading the charged bolt for something else would sacrifice my spam killing ability and changing the ice beam means I get worse against heavy targets.
I don't know how it is in Diablo III, but in Diablo II (esp. on higher difficulty levels) enemies with immunities were quite common (very often immune to 1 element, sometimes to more than 1). If that is still the case, some spell variability will be enforced that way.
smoth

Post by smoth »

rockpaperscissors
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

So here's my Torchlight 2 review in a Diablo 3 thread!

The beta has its share of bugs, but overall it's Diablo 2 with skills that scale the damage with your level. Gameplay is very fast paced and team based play is pretty fun.

The game is the most difficult hack'n'slash I've played today on it's hardest difficulty, that being Elite. So difficult you cannot play it with any kind of melee class.

Anyway, the bad:
Many, many useless skills. You pick about two skills and the rest of your points go into passives. Level cap is at 100 so you can probably max out 6 skills and have some points left over for "one point wonders". The beta ends at level 21 though.

This game does not have free respec either. In the beta you could respec up to level 10 for free. No more respeccing after that. Skills unlock at Level 1, 7, 14, 21, 28, etc. I do really like free respec options, i.e. in TQ you could buy back your skills for loads of money.

Next up, attributes: you get 5 points each level á la Diablo

Strength = +x% total damage

Dexterity = +x% evade, +x% crit rate and +x% fumble recovery
(I have not figured out what fumble recovery is in my playthrough yet)

Focus = +x% magic damage, total mana and +x% execute (chance to dual strike with two similar weapons)

Vitality = increases hitpoints, +x% total armor

So anyway, any damage dealing character wants strength, even the ranged ones. If you play the game on Elite you can totally forgo Vitality because Mobs will one or two shot you anyway.

So if you plan on playing the game on Elite it leaves you with very little choices for character builds, I did not like this at this point.
Right now HC Elite was only feasible with the Mage due to incredible amounts of long range damage and a high mobility spell. Anyone else is a glass cannon.

What I did not really like, similar to the first game, was the cartoony graphics. It turned me down back in 2004 when WoW came out. Turns me down still.

Right now there are way too many spell effects that make it difficult to see what is going on. Very confusing at times.

Also, right now what you kill stays dead forever. You'd have to join another persons game to reset an area to wipe it clean again.

The good:
Graphics, regardless of the style of presentation as this is my own taste, were alright. Definitely on par with Diablo 3, because Diablo 3 is a mess with mediocre models and blurry textures. Except for that Torchlight 2 isn't really ugly at all. It's alright I'd say.

The best thing about the game probably is the soundtrack so far, which is pretty fucking awesome.

Even though I feel that many of the skills, resistances and the attribute system are gimped in many ways the gameplay was there. It's fast-paced action especially with other people in the party. Monsters increase in strength as numbers of players grow. So Elite mode becomes a whole lot harder when people join your game.

Also, watch out for easter eggs. Like, Silence of the Lambs. ;)

I've had my fun in the beta but it was only the first act of the final game limited to level 21. I was not put down by it compared to the Diablo 3 beta is all I can say.

Things that are going to be in the final game:
New Game+: last time I've seen this was in a Super Nintendo game
Post game teleporter room: for boss runs
Many more easter eggs!
Hopefully some polish on the rough edges.
Developer tools, so you can make your Diablo on the improved engine. Torchlight runs OGRE I believe.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”