Spring on the outside?

Spring on the outside?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Spring on the outside?

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I was just curious, has anyone ever advertised a game they made (or maybe just really liked) outside of the internet? I don't even really mean like making signs or anything (although that counts too), but just like mentioning it to a stranger?

I ask because yesterday while at Best Buy (and hopefully it'll be my last visit to Best Buy), the guy helping me was talking about Starcraft 2 and how he used to play RTS, even "old stuff like Total Annihilation. A lot of people don't remember that game, but I loved it." I thought about mentioning Spring, and then CT, but didn't.

Just seemed like a different approach (to me at least)
gajop

Re: Spring on the outside?

Post by gajop »

i've tried showing it off at the uni, and it was about to be shown at the local uni science festival (we are showing off a lot of games with AIs that play those games, to get people, mostly kids, interesting in AI and programming in general) - only reason we decided to scrap it was it's general complexity of strategy games (festival visitors don't spend too much time, often less than 5 minutes), and it's potential hardware requirements

i just know that if i ever get a job as a TA here, i'll be sure to recommend spring AIs as possible projects ;p
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

showed it some guys at my class-meeh to complex... why cant it be sc2?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

There are a few people I know personally who are more or less in love with evo and others I've turned on to it via word of mouth. I usually don't mention evo unless prompted though.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Hi forb- (thats a prompt)!
Dear Forb (congrats, you have been promptmoted)!
I love, you and would like to ask you, would you go -(to the Prom(pt) with you- all the way baby, all the way)!

Evo even is mentioned in the lyrics of his band.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Kernel Panic was featured on a DVD included with c't.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Whenever I hear people mentioning RTS games (barring extremely awkward circumstances), I swing over and launch into a pitch like this one:
Super Salesman MK wrote:"Hi, my name's MK! So you guys like Supreme Commander? SupCom's pretty cool -- I kind of wish the factions weren't all so same-y, though. My favorite RTS game is actually free. It's called Zero-K! It's based on the Spring engine -- say, have any of you played any Spring Engine games? No? Well, have you ever heard of Total Annihilation? No? It's this sweet game from 1997 by the guy who did SupCom. Some fans tried to replicate it, and the project ended up turning into this awesome open source game engine and it has all kinds of games now! Zero-K is one of those games, and it's pretty awesome! It's got, like, linking shields and rocket mechs and dominatrix vehicles and stuff! If you want to try it out, it's at http://zero-k.info. That's "zero dash k dot info" You can email me if you want to play a match tog- wait a second, where did you go? Guys?
:P

I've gotten at least 3 people to try ZK, but I don't think any of them kept up playing for more than a month or two.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Needs more Starcraft 2 graphic and any other bloated up lolwut RTS game then you get more casual players...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I was just talking about it today, seems a few people arrive at this site and are completely flummoxed as to where to begin looking and reading and give up and go elsewhere.
Burn the site
Though none of that is news
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://springrts.com/wiki/Press
---
experience on lan etc:
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

its true.. in lan, were we would shine the most- we run into constant troubles.. i tried it two times.. never worked. And even worser.. you dont get support while having friends around you, making those (OS-Loonie faces- lets play CC: Generals)..
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KDR_11k wrote:Kernel Panic was featured on a DVD included with c't.
wtf is c't?
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Pxtl wrote:wtf is c't?
Germanys most important computer magazine.
Petah

Post by Petah »

Every one I showed it to, either said it was too hard, or too ugly.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

And of course you didn't bother showing evo or zk. What did you expect?

ZK requires a bit more work on the end user's end. Evo however doesn't require the end user to do anything, except register a nick.

I'm betting that what you did amounted to "Hey go install http://springrts.com/wiki/Download , it's great!" I'd tell you to go fuck yourself too.

I remember when i first installed spring, it was a bitch just to get tasclient started, then there were all of 13 people in the lobby and the only game at that time was xta. << NOT the good old days.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

What extra does ZK require? For a lan the hoster could disable unlocks but that's about it.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

knorke wrote:http://springrts.com/wiki/Press
---
experience on lan etc:
UNCLE KNORKAN!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

BaNa wrote:
knorke wrote:http://springrts.com/wiki/Press
---
experience on lan etc:
UNCLE KNORKAN!
trolls are mods, and the guys who dont troll are considered baitin... the intertubes is topside turfy.. knorke.. step away from the power.. return to the dark side. Remember snacks.. with great power comes greater corruption! Its not too late yet.

; )
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:What extra does ZK require? For a lan the hoster could disable unlocks but that's about it.
Default settings are pants. Last time I installed zk from scratch (couple weeks ago), I had to unfuck the gui first before I could play as well.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Worksforme. I'll just assume your Spring knowledge and preconceptions got in the way of an easy install because this is almost always the case.

Return to “Game Development”