Skinning tutorial, step by step.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Argh

Post by Argh »

I'm taking all this down. Spring's community has proven that it does not deserve my help.
Last edited by Argh on 21 Aug 2006, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

oh... i just love freelancer baby :wink: just the game gets allways boring at some point... too bad...

finally some real tutorial with... programs included
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

welll... i still dislike uvmapping... i the programs suck mostly :cry:
smoth

Post by smoth »

cause it's soo hard :P
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

grr! nobody asked you, Smoth :P
UV mapper classic is just a bit frustrating to use, but if I work on it nonstop, I might be able to get an actualy UVmap of something in a week or two :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I had to ask masse what UV mapping was, there's no clear explanation fo what goes where and how ti all fits together. Yah mayb theres a collection fo files describing scripting a unit, one or two on howto do a unit fbi, and a collection on modelling, but there's no central resource in this community to fidn them all without searchign the forum and FU. That and there doesnt apepar to be any that detail making a model from scratch for someone brand new. I can imagine I'd be good at all this fi onyl I managed to get over the hurdle of figuring out how to sue the modelling programs such as wings and blender.

Better yet something detailing the creation of a brand new unit for spring from scratch
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

AF wrote:I had to ask masse what UV mapping was, there's no clear explanation fo what goes where and how ti all fits together. Yah mayb theres a collection fo files describing scripting a unit, one or two on howto do a unit fbi, and a collection on modelling, but there's no central resource in this community to fidn them all without searchign the forum and FU. That and there doesnt apepar to be any that detail making a model from scratch for someone brand new. I can imagine I'd be good at all this fi onyl I managed to get over the hurdle of figuring out how to sue the modelling programs such as wings and blender.

Better yet something detailing the creation of a brand new unit for spring from scratch
and THE UNIT SHOULD BE TANK ! so its simple :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

no, because then you get confused when it comes to creating kbots.

What they should do is make a basic shell like unit that works as a tank, then they ge tto the point of it being ingame, then they go back, add legs, and script the walking. All the scripting tutorials I've seen used tanks, and you have to ask someone to figure out how you do walking properly, and alot of people would rather give up and just do tanks than ask.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

i give up and do a tank :P i did allready... now its just the damn uv mapping :cry:
smoth

Post by smoth »

8) It really depends on the proggie you use, I was borrowing a friends 3dsmax, I don't have it anymore but in my spare time I did alot of stuff in it last semester. However, I am not sure I want to buy it so I deleted it. I am looking for a better alternative. Right now I am going to fight with blender and if that doesn't work, milkshape is next.

Thing is there is no easy way to write a uvwmap tutorial to suite all needs because all the 3d progies have their own quirky interface. and the interface can change drastically between versions. I DO NOT condone piracy so I will not write a 3ds tutorial because I am sure 99.999999999999% of you will not buy a legit 3ds max just for this.

So until I have the time between calculus, database, operating systems, system architecture, computer ethics, writing software for my university, preparing for a convention to demonstrate said software in front of an audience of 100s of professors, acting as an officer in ACM, finishing gundam annihilation, mapping and modeling to help out this or that project. I am strapped. I would LOVE to sit down and evaluate modeling programs based on cost and functionality then after finding what I would consider the best then producing a tutorial... that is not facetious, I just do not have the time :(
Argh

Post by Argh »

<bump>

Bumped, so that Sheekel (and all other uvmapping newbies) can find it. Really, folks... making uvmaps is not hard. Just follow the Tutorial, k?
mongus

Post by mongus »

in blender uv maps make YOU. (no pinning)
Argh

Post by Argh »

<shrugs>

What you're showing, while it looks cool for NURBs patches, isn't at all like uvmapping for the kinds of harsh geometry used for a game engine like Spring.

If Spring supported IK, and we were building organic geometry with single closed surfaces, I'd be a lot more excited.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

You, are my hero....

I read that tutorial AGES ago, and well... needless to say, it brought everything about UVW mapping into light...

:wink:

Any other tips, FURTHER tutorials etc, are VERY VERY highly appreciated and highly reccomended... :-)
mongus

Post by mongus »

maybe you are rigth Argh, as im dont know much on 3d modelling nor uv mapping.

but seen what the guy had to do beforeto uv map the same model, and the whay it is uvmapped in that article impressed me.

Also, if you are interested in using blender, here is a UVmapping tutorial some guy (Graybeard) did about that. (steps from minute 14 to 17, will be obsolete once the code is updated from blender 1.41).
Eaglebird

Post by Eaglebird »

<bump> because a google link led me here after I searched for UV mapping .s3o or something. I'm trying to port some old .3do's and they just aren't being happy.

I went through that tutorial, a while back, trying to make ships/mod ships for FL. Small world, huh?
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Well, since s3o is only used in Spring (note: Spring 3D Object), it's not odd you came here when searching.
Most of the things that has to do with unit making is covered in the wiki: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Mod_an ... evlopement.
That is, everything exept the UV mapping itself, since that is program bound. Fortunatly, there are more then enough tutorials to be found for any program.

Good luck!
Eaglebird

Post by Eaglebird »

Zenka wrote:Well, since s3o is only used in Spring (note: Spring 3D Object), it's not odd you came here when searching.
Most of the things that has to do with unit making is covered in the wiki: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Mod_an ... evlopement.
That is, everything exept the UV mapping itself, since that is program bound. Fortunatly, there are more then enough tutorials to be found for any program.

Good luck!
Just tell me one thing, is it impossible to use the old .3do models by converting them or archiving them somehow, or is it just a complex set of steps? :P
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Eaglebird wrote:
Zenka wrote:Well, since s3o is only used in Spring (note: Spring 3D Object), it's not odd you came here when searching.

Good luck!
Just tell me one thing, is it impossible to use the old .3do models by converting them or archiving them somehow, or is it just a complex set of steps? :P
RTFM.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Eaglebird wrote:Just tell me one thing, is it impossible to use the old .3do models by converting them or archiving them somehow, or is it just a complex set of steps? :P
There isn't a simple converter program. But, as you guesses, indeed a list of complex steps. Teaking in account you have to retexture the entire model.
As you are probably aware, s3o uses UV-mapping. While 3do uses per-face-texturing. <eaning if you want to convert 3do to s3o, you'll have to UV-map the unit and texture it. Other then that, there isn't much converting to be involved. You can export the objects, texture them and put it back together.

However, it is more usefull also to remake the model with more detail. then just spend time in retexturing them.

Return to “Art & Modelling”