Spring map pack 1,436 maps 19.58 GB (Torrent) - Page 5

Spring map pack 1,436 maps 19.58 GB (Torrent)

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

lavamind

Re: Spring map pack 1,436 maps 19.58 GB (Torrent)

Post by lavamind »

Ok don't mean to bitch and moan here, but while you guys are discussing map-making, and what the next "super-map" will be like, the reste of us are thinking : where's the map pack ?!
gajop

Post by gajop »

lavamind wrote:Ok don't mean to bitch and moan here, but while you guys are discussing map-making, and what the next "super-map" will be like, the reste of us are thinking : where's the map pack ?!
This is something that even people without programming/art skills can easily contribute, so please :). Btw, some maps are mod-specific, so have that in mind.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Here it is: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7036211

1.52 GiB, 82 popular maps, seeding with something like 50 MBit.

PirateBay added some trackers that are offline atm, so depending on your client it may take a moment to start downloading.

If you want to seed, please take a moment and link your existing files together (or copy if your OS doesn't support links), so you don't unnecessarily redownload maps you already have.

Let's wait a day or two, and see the complaints. Then I suggest to add this to the downloads page.

hmm.... seedhosts are a little slow atm... no idea why...
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

uhm... there seem to be some problems with some of the trackers. I have edited the tracker list and have requested a deletion of the torrent from tpb to reupload it later. In the meantime you can just download the attachment if you want to check it out.
Attachments
SpringRTS_map_pack.torrent
(34.71 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

TPB and Mininova suck!

So in the end it is hosted here: https://torrentbox.com/torrent_details?id=1582141
I put in 6 additional trackers for redundancy.
Direct link to torrent file: https://torrentbox.com/download/1582141 ... ck.torrent

85 maps, 1.6 GB
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I downloaded just to help seeding :-)
Mav

Post by Mav »

Would anyone with this file please seed for a bit? I've got a 100 mbit connection that I'd be willing to seed off of, but me and another user are stuck at 18.2%.

Thanks!
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Mav wrote:Would anyone with this file please seed for a bit?
Which torrent do you mean? The 19GB torrent or my 1.6 GB? The latter is seeded (and downloaded) very well.
Mav

Post by Mav »

The 19 GB torrent. I've already got all the maps contained in the 1.6 GB torrent.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Mav wrote:Would anyone with this file please seed for a bit? I've got a 100 mbit connection that I'd be willing to seed off of, but me and another user are stuck at 18.2%.

Thanks!
Your welcome
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

This should be a good test for my rtorrentweb thingy on my server.

DLing then seeding for ever.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Beherith wrote:This should be a good test for my rtorrentweb thingy on my server.

DLing then seeding for ever.
It might be easier if i just took over the whole shebang on an sd card as i am sole seed atm :D
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Cool, drop in when you can.
Mav

Post by Mav »

Thanks BaNa! I finished downloading last night and I'm now seeding it. I'll keep it open for as long as I've got internets.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

This is a waste. at least 30 - 50% of these maps will most likely be broken and contain crashbugs from simply being too old (many of them contain fatal smd errors that were never fixed).

But, do what you want. The 1.6gb one makes a lot more sense.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

It has its uses. I recall that mav is in the army and might be away from internets for long periods. Beh and I are mappers so they are a good resource and for beh it may also help hosting games.
Mav

Post by Mav »

ZK uses a huge number of maps that are auto-selected based on how many people are in the current battle. There are some users with hideously slow internet connections that can't download the maps very quickly and are constantly holding up each and every game as they download maps. Furthermore, ZK is constantly featuring more and more maps. Jasper does quite a bit of the "featuring" as he finds maps that he likes. So I could put together a map pack with only the current featured maps, but that list might double in six months.

Some of them mentioned that they had limited access to high-speed internet at places like a friend or family house, or at uni, or at an internet cafe. I did a search to see if anyone has a map pack, and stumbled on this.

Now that I am seeding, I am giving all of these players a link to the torrent so that if they can grab a high-speed connection for a few hours, they can download the map pack. It's a bit overkill, but I'd rather give nubs too many maps than not enough.

Lastly, now that I have the huge pack, I plan to update it with maps that have been released since the pack was created. Then I will reorganize and re-release the pack with directories segregating maps based on popularity. Most torrent clients provide an option to prioritize some files ahead of others. So, If someone only wants to download the smaller 1.6 GB pack, they would tell their client to prioritize the "most popular" set, or whatever I plan on calling it. Not sure when I'll get around to doing this, but in the meantime it can't hurt to be seeding the current pack.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

slow connection.. at the university? You fourierreal?
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

knorke wrote:I do not see the use for such all-maps pack. Did you sort out some maps or it basically everything that is on springfiles?
I think a mappack with some 10 to 20 selected map might be more usefull. Have some diverse maps from (1v1 to 12v12, land,sea,large,small,...) so players have a starting point.
Agree, our NOTApack with 42 most played maps (with diverisity covering most of the types of gameplay) and with How_to_win_that_map manuals on our NOTAweb is the better solution, I think. Less maps with some additional info helping player to understand the difference beetween them is better way.
dansan wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:Nice idea but I think 1400 maps is a bit over the top.
[..]
I think you would be hard pressed to find 400 good maps that have been played in the past year.
+1

A pack with the top 100 maps played this year (infos should be available from springfiles, autohosts or someone who makes statistics like bibim) would be around 1-2 GB. That pack could be hosted by HTTP and torrent and probability anyone downloads it would be higher than with a 20GB pack. That pack should be advertised together with spring/mod downloads.
Packs containing more then 200 maps make no sense for me. I had 200+ maps in my folder, but after reinstalation i started only with our basic 42 maps and its much better, when you want to change map. A lot of maps makes mess. And with such fast internet connection why dont have maps on springfiles? 18GB it is still a lot for my HDD. I dont use most of them, btw.
Google_Frog wrote:Both packs is an ok idea, just that there could be a smaller pack of the current best maps that would not take so long to download.
From our experience with different sizes of pack, the most liked pack is the 900MB pack, that containts 42 maps and game. 200 downloads in last three days in comparation with small pack (125 MB, game, widgets, 1 map) - 65 downloads. No interest in minimal pack with no maps.
Mav

Post by Mav »

PicassoCT wrote:slow connection.. at the university? You fourierreal?
You misunderstood what I was saying, though I could have been more clear.

They have the ability to go to those places to access high-speed internet, though only for a limited time.

Return to “General Discussion”