Map limitations

Map limitations

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

callmeandy

Map limitations

Post by callmeandy »

HI Guys just posted some requests for thoughts on a build in Content Creation - Games and Mods http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p516653
CarRepairer tells me this is the place to get better focussed help.

I wonder what the size limitations for the map are?

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Map limitations

Post by zwzsg »

No.

CarRepairer told you the place to get help is #moddev. The hash indicate it is an IRC channel, not a subforum. Well, actually it's a Spring lobby channel which can be reached from an IRC bridge, but that still doesn't mean you should post in Spring lobby subforum.

Instead, get an IRC client and make it join the bridge, or, more simply, install SpringLobby, TASClient, ZK-Lobby, or whichever client you fancy, and join the chat.

If for some reason you really hate the idea of installing stuff or real time internet chat and insist on staying on the forum, then at least use the correct subforum.

(Don't create a third thread, I'm sure a moderator will move this one.)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

moved
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

There are no real limits on map size, since the scale interpreted by your units is almost arbitrary. If you aim for an infantry scale similar to s44 (which works well btw) then you will have an approximately 4 square kilometer area to work with. Which is mind bogglingly huge.

For examples, load up large maps like Blindside or Mearth in the Spring engine. It will answer more questions than you care to ask.
callmeandy

Post by callmeandy »

zwzsg wrote:No.

CarRepairer told you the place to get help is #moddev. The hash indicate it is an IRC channel, not a subforum. Well, actually it's a Spring lobby channel which can be reached from an IRC bridge, but that still doesn't mean you should post in Spring lobby subforum.

Instead, get an IRC client and make it join the bridge, or, more simply, install SpringLobby, TASClient, ZK-Lobby, or whichever client you fancy, and join the chat.

If for some reason you really hate the idea of installing stuff or real time internet chat and insist on staying on the forum, then at least use the correct subforum.

(Don't create a third thread, I'm sure a moderator will move this one.)
Ok well thanks for this advice and obviously I didnt realise about the reference to an IRC channel.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Well, the "is it occupied" grid has a fixed size (16x16), and maps have a max size (32768 x 32768), so there is still a limit: You cannot have a map more than two thousands squared bigger than the smaller unit.

But you are right in that how you express that limit in kilometers or miles depends on the scale you choose for your game.

For exemple, considering the size of bits in modern memories, kernel panic maps are at most a square millimeter!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth

Post by smoth »

weblobby is unstable as hell.

Weblobby no longer works unless you have spring installed so if he recently fixed this I don't know.

As far as I know I am the only one who uses it.
callmeandy

Post by callmeandy »

zwzsg wrote:Well, the "is it occupied" grid has a fixed size (16x16), and maps have a max size (32768 x 32768), so there is still a limit: You cannot have a map more than two thousands squared bigger than the smaller unit.

But you are right in that how you express that limit in kilometers or miles depends on the scale you choose for your game.

For exemple, considering the size of bits in modern memories, kernel panic maps are at most a square millimeter!
When you speak of the "Is it occupied grid" ordinarily would this equate to an area man would fill? If so, to me, that starts to bring down the size the map could represent significantly when maintaining a reasonable basis for AI decision making and range finding etc
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I fixed it a week ago and said so in the thread. It only gives you a warning when you load it. You can continue connecting.
TotalAnnihilation

Post by TotalAnnihilation »

Hi!

I wanted to know if somewhere there is a map or project is very large (64x64, 128x64, etc ...), very similar to the map "2 continents remake"?

Return to “Map Creation”