cannot disable shadows

cannot disable shadows

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ACE Senethril

cannot disable shadows

Post by ACE Senethril »

Hello, i can't disable shadows with this config file, help me .
I have already tried shadow=0 and -1 but take no effects.

Thx in advance.
Attachments
springsettings.txt
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
klapmongool

Re: cannot disable shadows

Post by klapmongool »

BA has a widget in the mod that makes those blobby shadows now. Press f11 ingame and disable it.

I dont understand how those shadows are a good idea to have in the mod tbh.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Whats the problem with them?
ACE Senethril

Post by ACE Senethril »

The problem could be with the configuration files, they give more fine tuning options,by including a widget i suppose that's not for all who want not all settings.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the widget should be modified to read Shadows config value i would say, and conform to it, to prevent such scenarios as the one of the OP.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Whats the problem with them?
this:
hoijui wrote:the widget should be modified to read Shadows config value i would say, and conform to it, to prevent such scenarios as the one of the OP.

And that the blobby shadows it creates are fugly compared to the real ones.

But maybe i'm missing some info here? Are the blobby shadows cheaper than shadows 1/2/3?
very_bad_soldier

klapmongool wrote: And that the blobby shadows it creates are fugly compared to the real ones.

But maybe i'm missing some info here? Are the blobby shadows cheaper than shadows 1/2/3?
That widget does not replace the existing engine shadows. It gets only active when engine shadows are turned off. So yeah, it "occupies" the shadow=0 configuration state.
And yes, they are cheaper than engine shadows. I get about 10% more fps when I use them.
But the main reason to include them was: They also work in LOS view (which the engine shadows do not).
hoijui wrote:the widget should be modified to read Shadows config value i would say, and conform to it, to prevent such scenarios as the one of the OP.
It already does, but it is not meant to take over control of whole engine's shadow drawing. So there would have to be a new shadow configuration value like shadows=9 -> user drawn shadows. Then the widget would not have to occupy the 0 value.

But actually I would like the other way round: For me drawing shadows is engine land. Games should not have to ship a hacky widget that is able to draw shadows even when LOS view is enabled. As spring is an RTS engine it would be cool to have fully working LOS view.
So a simple shadow mode which supports LOS view (like this blob shadows) should be in the engine. My opinion...
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
klapmongool wrote: And that the blobby shadows it creates are fugly compared to the real ones.

That widget does not replace the existing engine shadows. It gets only active when engine shadows are turned off. So yeah, it "occupies" the shadow=0 configuration state.
And yes, they are cheaper than engine shadows. I get about 10% more fps when I use them.
But the main reason to include them was: They also work in LOS view (which the engine shadows do not).
It already does, but it is not meant to take over control of whole engine's shadow drawing. So there would have to be a new shadow configuration value like shadows=9 -> user drawn shadows. Then the widget would not have to occupy the 0 value.

But actually I would like the other way round: For me drawing shadows is engine land. Games should not have to ship a hacky widget that is able to draw shadows even when LOS view is enabled. As spring is an RTS engine it would be cool to have fully working LOS view.
So a simple shadow mode which supports LOS view (like this blob shadows) should be in the engine. My opinion...
Ok, but then why would u want ugly shadows? I always play without shadows at all.
very_bad_soldier

klapmongool wrote: Ok, but then why would u want ugly shadows? I always play without shadows at all.
Well, I dont explicitly want ugly shadows :mrgreen:
If we had christmas time I would wish for beautiful shadows that work in LOS view. But for some reason I dont know it seems to be difficult to implement. At least I am hoping since years and it is not happening.
What we have (in this widget) are ugly shadows that work in LOS view (so I take what we got). And I suspect it to be not to hard to implement them into the engine.

My question: Why is it better to have no shadows at all instead of this ugly shadows?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
klapmongool wrote: Ok, but then why would u want ugly shadows? I always play without shadows at all.
Well, I dont explicitly want ugly shadows :mrgreen:
If we had christmas time I would wish for beautiful shadows that work in LOS view. But for some reason I dont know it seems to be difficult to implement. At least I am hoping since years and it is not happening.
What we have (in this widget) are ugly shadows that work in LOS view (so I take what we got). And I suspect it to be not to hard to implement them into the engine.

My question: Why is it better to have no shadows at all instead of this ugly shadows?
No shadows is even cheaper than blobby shadows. And the blobby ones are really really ugly :D Someone in battle chat just said that they stick to planes in the air..

Return to “Help & Bugs”