BA 2v2 Tournament - Page 2

BA 2v2 Tournament

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Johannes

Re: BA 2v2 Tournament

Post by Johannes »

Please remove some of the weirder/shittier maps from there?

For example - DownCount is too much based on 1 gimmick, games would not be exciting I htink. Trench_Linked is just boring. Spartan_Isle_v02 is not a good fit for anything but 1v1. Etc. etc,, feel free to disagree on those specific examples of course, but I think it'd be better to have 5-10 maps of those (or others) that you consider would bring the most exciting 2v2 games.

Oh and can you turn off the fog on Seth's, on the autohosts, so that everyone can play it properly?
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

I asked to FabriceFABS to remove some maps.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Tomorrow! :P
FabriceFABS

BA 2v2 Tournament

Post by FabriceFABS »

Bonjour !

Here is [FLM]Zorro's request, update of the new map list.

Official map list :
  • Altair_Crossing-V1
  • Aquatic_Divide_TNM05-V2
  • Bandit_Plains_v1
  • ContestedCanyon
  • Core_Faf
  • Eye_Of_Horus_v2
  • Fields_Of_Isis
  • Finns_Revenge
  • Kivekset_Halkova_Bassotaajuus-v02
  • Lowland_Crossing_TNM01-V4
  • MoonQ20x
  • Pathway V2
  • Ravaged_v2
  • Red Comet
  • Seths_Ravine_V2
  • SyporBeta
  • TitanDuel
  • Torn Islands Remake
  • Tournament Desert
  • Vittra_v1

Tournament will be played on :
    • [ACE]Serveur
    • [ACE]Serveur_VI
    Training could be done on :
    • [ACE]Serveur_IV
Happy tourney :-)
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Thanks Fabrice!
Still time to remove some maps. Just post here please.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Tourney will keep running, we couldn't finish all games so just try to contact your opponents and schedule the games. (don't forget to repport it on challonge please so tourney can go on).
http://challonge.com/ba2v2tournament

To contact them you can post here, chat on lobby, post here:
http://balancedannihilation.org/forums/ ... -feb-2012/

Thanks!
gajop

Post by gajop »

Ok, a bit of feedback
1) More autohosts: They were full and buggy initially which caused unneeded delays.
2) Tournament moderation: Get people to take care of organization, seems like people played on unofficial hosts and maps with unregistered members. Map rotation should also be decided (up front), automatically or by organizers.
3) Use a better site and automate replay uploading (Zero-K bots do that well). The current one has a 280KB limit which is easily exceeded by replays, and ends up annoying users to go to third party sites and do the manual work that bots should be able to easily.

It was fun though, managed to win 2 games with a friend who played more matches in the tournament than before, so I'm happy with the outcome.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Esorp and Butters pwning all! That's mah bois <3
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

For now all replays are up to date, they can all be downloaded on the challonge:
http://challonge.com/ba2v2tournament
(Some replays are directly posted on chanllonge, others are linked to the post on this forum.)
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

The tournament infrastructure could be much better as already said. It was my first tourney so we learned about problems we didn't think before. However for me it was really funny and I hope you all could enjoy a little as players or spectators.

Sadly I didn't ready this topic before (http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... &view=next) or I could have used similar rules to improve the course of the tourney.

Points to improve:
- fixed maps for games and rounds like proposed by jazcash.
- more autohosts with automatic map selection.
- the replay system (i will try to find a better way)
- inscriptions should be done before and not 5 minutes after the tourney start :D
- the schedule must be respected or the team should be eliminated
- give preference for 2^x teams, to have a balanced bracket/seeding. This means that first players (8, 16, 32...) signed up may guarantee their participation more than last ones.

What more?

For the next one what kind of tourney would you like, 1v1, 2v2, other?
smoth

Post by smoth »

would be cool if you made tournament ladders part of the new ba site with history and all.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

marciolino wrote:Sadly I didn't ready this topic before (http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... &view=next) or I could have used similar rules to improve the course of the tourney.

Points to improve:
- fixed maps for games and rounds like proposed by jazcash.
Reading your own thread helps too :P
Johannes wrote:
- The players can chose the map (within those available on the autohost).
What are those maps and how are they chosen exactly?

IMO good way to have maps is have a smallish pool (5-10 or so) to pick from, each round has different but predefined starting map, after that loser picks anything from the pool they want. The tourneys with this map system have had the most interesting system to me.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

smoth wrote:would be cool if you made tournament ladders part of the new ba site with history and all.
Yeah, it is already in my to-do list ;)
gajop

Post by gajop »

- the replay system (i will try to find a better way)
yes, we need automated autohost replay and match uploading, with no filesize limits or compressing
- the schedule must be respected or the team should be eliminated
Matches should be scheduled ahead of time (f.e quarterfinals at 10 AM and semifinals at 1 PM) so people can plan their time. This means you need to take into consideration how long certain maps will be played.
- give preference for 2^x teams, to have a balanced bracket/seeding. This means that first players (8, 16, 32...) signed up may guarantee their participation more than last ones.
Nah, it's hard to get people as it is, let anyone who applies participate, until we have a bigger community.
What more?
Create a part of the site that allows people to sign up alone for team matches if they can't find anyone, then do some random grouping. I initially started playing this game alone, and I wouldn't be surprised that many people are the same.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

There wouldn't be so much need for an automated replay upload if there was a decent manual one to start with. Getting a replay archive to the BA site would be a main priority, nevermind if autohosts
But you might want to talk about these things with BD & koshi, who did the ladder system which also uploaded reps to Trades site.
Or track down Trademark, and ask nicely for his code as well. He might help you since you're not affiliated with Spring moderation, who knows.

And better to just play a full tournament as fast as you can, rather than schedule like that - if you plan times, you have to plan them for the longest sensible time a match can take - and when a bo3 can take 15 min to complete or over an hour, it's not that convenient.

There's not much problem with having non- 2^X amount of participants, just decide what manner of seeding you'll use before people sign up.
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

gajop wrote:Ok, a bit of feedback
1) More autohosts: They were full and buggy initially which caused unneeded delays.
[...]
- More autohosts ? @ middle of the tourney, 1 was full, 1 was empty, I'm not sure it's really usefull could depends of number of players.
- Buggy ? Are you sure about what you are saying ?
gajop

Post by gajop »

FabriceFABS wrote:
gajop wrote:Ok, a bit of feedback
[...]
- More autohosts ? @ middle of the tourney, 1 was full, 1 was empty, I'm not sure it's really usefull could depends of number of players.
- Buggy ? Are you sure about what you are saying ?
I'm sure what I'm saying on both accounts.
1) You should understand that in the middle of the tournament there will likely be less games than at the start (even with the double elimination). Initially we had only two hosts, and some 4-5 games to be played, meaning those 2-3 games had to wait, which just causes delays (which propagate).

2) Regarding the bug, we had a problem starting our second game (which I assume was reported to you), something about the host denying remote connections (no player or spectator could connect). That problem wasted about 20 minutes of our time, until someone with rights restarted the server eventually.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Yes I think we should have more autohosts, at the begining teams couldn't start playing their matches like gajop said.

Anyway it was my fault not Fabrice's fault since I asked only 2 autohosts. The problem was a port conflict i think which Fabrice solved as soon as I contact him and one more time my fault since I should have tested them together.
One more time thank you for providing the autohosts ;)

Next tourneys will be better and better!!! :mrgreen:
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

That said,

OK for 1/.
For 2/, omg you complain about this ? Already forgot...
it was really stressful caus I have received private messages, and I did not have the powers as I was playing tounament.
Considering the number of notifications, I was sure there was a promblem. I also think that it has been a failure on the influence that our team has suffered in the first round, eliminated automatically.

«Someone with rights» was me.
These are mistakes that have happened and I apologize.
For the technical reason, it was a misconfiguration of TCP ports (conflict, should not have same value) between [ACE]Serveur and [ACE]Serveur_VI, due to duplicating autohost configurations.
Nothing to do with full of specs or other thing.

For you info, was not 20 min, but 15 min (time to finish game and resolving the pb) - Don't hesitate to check logs in your favorite lobby. Pb resolved after a full restart of the autohost, that took 7s.

I had the opportunity to see the logs to determine how long it took to resolve this issue.
I loved seeing people's patience with their reaction/comments, usual...

Now, in case of problems or something else, if you're not sure about time to spend in a tournament nor if you are nearly one quarter of an hour, already too much extra-time in a day or half-day tournament, the best thing is NOT register...

~~~ I just hope that you understand that I did not express it ~~~

This applies also in RL, just because this could really-really happens, especially in touney, concerts, etc, things that needs important focus.

Sincerely.
gajop

Post by gajop »

FabriceFABS wrote: For 2/, omg you complain about this ? Already forgot...
For you info, was not 20 min, but 15 min (time to finish game and resolving the pb)
I just answered your question which was regarding a feedback I gave - up to you what you want to do with it. I wasn't sure on the exact time, hence I said "about 20 minutes".
As far as my commitment to the tournament goes, I played it fully that day and ended up forfeiting as it would've continued in later days, which didn't suit me (and wasn't part of the original plan as I understood it).

PS: Just in case you misunderstood what I wrote for hostility, I have full respect for your commitment in these tournaments and hope you continue to participate like so. The stuff I wrote was what I hope to be bettered for future events.

Return to “Ingame Community”