BA model replacements - Page 62

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Niobium

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Niobium »

Merge factions. Workload goes from ~185 units to ~15. Release only core.

Doesn't need to be permanent, can always reintroduce arm when the models are finished. The main reason is just to quickly get a complete, consistent, playable mod out there so that people can give feedback on the models/style from an ingame perspective.
Last edited by Niobium on 24 Feb 2012, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Niobium wrote:Merge factions. Workload goes from ~185 units to ~15.

Doesn't need to be permanent, can always reintroduce arm when the models are finished. The main reason is just to quickly get a complete, consistent, playable mod out there so that people can give feedback on the models/style from an ingame perspective.
Or just work with a mix of reworked/old models. That insures no temporary balancing problems.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Or release CORE only.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I agree with klap, core only would be fine for a start. It will allow you to illicit feedback from users.

"Release early, release often"
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Considering that BA is fully playable, I don't see the need to make any official release with the new ones when it's still majorly incomplete.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

So that people can give feedback? Let me tell you how to give feedback: open up the svn, and if you feel that things should go in a different way visually, then change it and pm me or hit the commit button. I wont withhold commit access to the bar svn if you dont change non visual/buggy stuff.

Also, if people felt like doing more models, it wouldnt be 185 units per person, but 185/N.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Johannes wrote:Considering that BA is fully playable, I don't see the need to make any official release with the new ones when it's still majorly incomplete.
If only ARM lacks and CORE functions, it would be a very playable release. Of course it should be considered in Beta (not replacing BA till official release). Considering that the new models might affect unit behaviour it might not be a bad idea to have a playable version available before the 'official release'. At the very least that would provide a list of bugs before a two faction release is ready.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cheesecan nio wrote:Hurry up and push out a shitty mishmash
Yeah, that isn't going to work, you guys will rip it apart call it shitty etc because it doesn't have completed gameplay. you will demand that balance patches are done on the mishmash or deride it for lack of completed work.

nah, hurry up and release is not the answer, you lot HAVE ba, what BAR is BA but prettier. Will there be slight changes to balance, possibly, model changes necessitate tweaks but they will probably be minor. Unless you are putting on your modeler's robe and HAT I suggest you just let the man work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Beherith wrote:

So that people can give feedback? Let me tell you how to give feedback: open up the svn
Niobium

Post by Niobium »

Beherith wrote:So that people can give feedback? Let me tell you how to give feedback: open up the svn, and if you feel that things should go in a different way visually, then change it and pm me or hit the commit button.
When I said 'complete mod' in my post I was referring to a standard .sdz format mod with a version, release post, etc, so that the common player can download it and play with other common players without issues.

I'm well aware that people can test it through the svn, but that gives you a very specific and limited sort of tester (those who know about svns) and makes multiplayer games harder to organise.
klapmongool wrote:Or release CORE only.
This would be good too. I actually forgot about the fact that arm is going to have a different style than core when I made my post, which makes it a bit silly.
smoth wrote:
Cheesecan nio wrote:Hurry up and push out a shitty mishmash
Yeah, that isn't going to work, you guys will rip it apart call it shitty etc because it doesn't have completed gameplay. you will demand that balance patches are done on the mishmash or deride it for lack of completed work.
The comments in this thread have been overwhelmingly positive towards the work done even when it was work in progress, and I'm sure that would continue if a working mod was presented instead of static screenshots. It would be unreasonable for someone to attack it as if it was a polished final product, especially if it's made clear in the release notes.

In regards to releasing mishmash the main point of my post was removing the mash for now, so that a consistent mod of just mish can be released and earlier.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Well, I guess a easily downloadable and usable release that contains the units done atm could be welcome for a significant amount of people, to play around with, and to comment on unit looks/size/behavior/animation/etc. easily, as long as you don't market as something intended for mass play but as a unit showcase.

For playing an actual game, old BA is simply better.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Niobium wrote:I'm well aware that people can test it through the svn, but that gives you a very specific and limited sort of tester (those who know about svns) and makes multiplayer games harder to organise.
Then comes the hassle of "WHEN ARE YOU MAKING ANOTHER UPDATE BAAW"
Niobium wrote:The comments in this thread have been overwhelmingly positive towards the work done even when it was work in progress, and I'm sure that would continue if a working mod was presented instead of static screenshots. It would be unreasonable for someone to attack it as if it was a polished final product, especially if it's made clear in the release notes.
Who says behe needs the comments to motivate him? It would be unreasonable? The BA community is DEFINED by unreasonable fear and knee jerk reactions.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

smoth wrote:The BA community is DEFINED by unreasonable fear and knee jerk reactions.
Uhuh. Such as?
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

I pretty much agree that BAR should be released only when everything is working, all models remade, every new model shiny and coherent. This would be a much more coherent and homogenous game.

Imo, releasing them before and updating regularly would broke the "teasing" thing. People can play BA now and keep dreaming with the new models... but if they start playing a incomplete BAR right now when the official release will come the NEW factor will just means nothing. (this is just my opinion)
I'm sure that would continue if a working mod was presented instead of static screenshots.
For the testing thing a working mod is already available:
http://springfiles.com/spring/games/bal ... 763-remake

I dont think it is a good idea to start playing it now as a game... it is incomplete, non-homogenous and one more time I think it would break the whole "Release" enthousiasme.
For playing an actual game, old BA is simply better.
For now, more important than start testing the models and start commenting about it would be help.
People could help devs to finish the models, texturing, scripts, sounds, etc... People could also promote BA and start promoting BAR.

I think that BAR is a huge chance of bringing new players, bring new devs, and change the whole community 8) but we need to expose it somehow...
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

Cheesecan wrote:Uhuh. Such as?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 33#p480333
smoth wrote:
Pxtl wrote:This is BA. Bugs are features. Nano-shielding is totally intuitive and awesome.
I have seen it in gundam it is very frustrating, that is why I added a delay between each construction start.
ZOAMG NANOSHIELD IS THE WORK OF DEVIL PURGE
smoth

Post by smoth »

marciolino wrote:People could help devs to finish the models, texturing, scripts, sounds, etc...
anno rite?
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

anno rite?
I don't know what does it means :/

... but if it is because my post sounds like I am saying nobody is helping I correct it.
Sorry, i didn't say nobody is helping, just that more help would be good.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

Beherith wrote:Nightcold, could you please collect cremusses models that I may have missed? I know about the con vec, aircon, commander, con boat and annihilator.
well compareing your pic to the pics in his thread i think you are missing the advanced nuclear power plant and the AA flank turrent....also i dont see any dragon teeth

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24170

i'am also looking for his other thread of the poject he was doing before that(cant find it) ,where he did a few arm remakes(includes the annihilator)....i think there was also an adv solar model....a wind generator....that might have been it....
smoth

Post by smoth »

marciolino wrote:
anno rite?
I don't know what does it means :/

... but if it is because my post sounds like I am saying nobody is helping I correct it.
Sorry, i didn't say nobody is helping, just that more help would be good.
anno rite
Ah noo rite
I know rite
I know right?
smoth

Post by smoth »

nightcold wrote:
Beherith wrote:Nightcold, could you please collect cremusses models that I may have missed? I know about the con vec, aircon, commander, con boat and annihilator.
i'am also looking for his other thread of the poject he was doing before that(cant find it) ,where he did a few arm remakes(includes the annihilator)....i think there was also an adv solar model....a wind generator....that might have been it....
Do a forum search using his user name as user posted IIRC he doesn't have too many posts.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”