Current state of Selection Keys

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

I think this is implicit knowledge around here, but someones got to say it at some point:
  • Creating selection keys with the current springsettings.exe doesnt work properly
  • It will add entries at the end of uikeys.txt (edit: not sure about this anymore), and also create springsettings.conf in the windows roaming directory which also has keybindings which spring uses
  • It doesnt touch selectkeys.txt, which still works and has entries in a clean spring install
  • So basically we have three conflicting files now, I suggest to delete the entries in uikeys.txt and delete springsettings.conf, and use selectkeys.txt instead
  • Refer to the selectkeys.txt wiki entry to create keybindings
  • "Commander" is now "ManualFireUnit". springsettings.exe still uses Commander. The default selectkeys.txt uses a mix of Commander and ManualFireUnit
These recent advances in keybinding usability were gradually introduced over the last few versions.

In other news, I was able to get name to work now,

Control_F AllMap+_NameContain_Freedom+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

for example selects all Freedom Fighters. Unfortunately its only possible to select (exclude) one type of unit with this. In theory it should be possible select multiple types of units with a huge list of _Not_NameContain Filters. A combination of Category and Name might make this actually feasible.

lol posting this in wrong subforum
very_bad_soldier

Re: Current state of Selection Keys

Post by very_bad_soldier »

HectorMeyer wrote: [*]It will add entries at the end of uikeys.txt (edit: not sure about this anymore), and also create springsettings.conf in the windows roaming directory which also has keybindings which spring uses
springsettings.conf contains your key profiles and is not used directly by spring but by springsettings.
HectorMeyer wrote: [*]It doesnt touch selectkeys.txt, which still works and has entries in a clean spring install
[*]So basically we have three conflicting files now, I suggest to delete the entries in uikeys.txt and delete springsettings.conf, and use selectkeys.txt instead
uikeys.txt is nowadays able to contain the selectkeys bindings too. So the hotkey editor solely relies on the uikeys.txt. I dont know why selectkeys.txt is still there. AFAIK its deprecated and can be deleted if you have that bindings in uikeys.txt.
HectorMeyer wrote: [*]"Commander" is now "ManualFireUnit". springsettings.exe still uses Commander. The default selectkeys.txt uses a mix of Commander and ManualFireUnit[/list]
This should be fixed in a recent version of springsettings.
albator

Post by albator »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
HectorMeyer wrote: [*]It doesnt touch selectkeys.txt, which still works and has entries in a clean spring install
[*]So basically we have three conflicting files now, I suggest to delete the entries in uikeys.txt and delete springsettings.conf, and use selectkeys.txt instead
uikeys.txt is nowadays able to contain the selectkeys bindings too. So the hotkey editor solely relies on the uikeys.txt. I dont know why selectkeys.txt is still there. AFAIK its deprecated and can be deleted if you have that bindings in uikeys.txt.

This should be fixed in a recent version of springsettings.

It did not worked form me: I lost ability to select commander with crtl+C doing that
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

isCommander is now canManualFire
very_bad_soldier

albator wrote: It did not worked form me: I lost ability to select commander with crtl+C doing that
If done right it does work for sure. I personally do not have a selectkeys.txt and my select hotkeys do work.
Maybe post your uikeys.txt and we can find out whats wrong.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

selectkeys.txt is deprecated, it's functionality is completely replaced by uikeys.txt i meant to remove it 1 year after the deprecation, but i forgot ( i also removed back then the file from the installer, but it seems someone put it back ... )

2 years passed eversince, i guess i'll do it now
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

I still like to use selectkeys.txt, although its no big hassle to put it into uikeys.txt in the future.

Also, since contrary to what I said before one can exclude more than one name from selections it makes a lot of cool things possible with a few tricks, see my current selectkeys.txt:

Code: Select all

Control_A AllMap++_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_N AllMap+_Builder_Idle+_ClearSelection_SelectOne+

Control_C AllMap+_ManualFireUnit+_ClearSelection_SelectOne+

Control_R AllMap+_Not_Weapons_Radar+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_Z AllMap+_InPrevSel+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_W AllMap+_Not_Builder_Not_Building_Not_ManualFireUnit_Not_Transport_Not_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_NameContain_Swatter_Not_NameContain_Jethro_Not_NameContain_Phalanx_Not_NameContain_Archangel_Not_NameContain_Scarab_Not_NameContain_Slinger_Not_NameContain_Crasher_Not_NameContain_Copperhead_Not_NameContain_Manticore_Not_NameContain_Hedgehog+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_S Visible+_Not_Builder_Not_Building_Not_ManualFireUnit_Not_Transport_Not_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_NameContain_Swatter_Not_NameContain_Jethro_Not_NameContain_Phalanx_Not_NameContain_Archangel_Not_NameContain_Scarab_Not_NameContain_Slinger_Not_NameContain_Crasher_Not_NameContain_Copperhead_Not_NameContain_Manticore_Not_NameContain_Hedgehog+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_F AllMap+_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_Builder_Not_Transport_Not_NameContain_Thunder_Not_NameContain_Phoenix_Not_NameContain_Tsunami_Not_NameContain_Shadow_Not_NameContain_Hurricane_Not_NameContain_Maelstrom_Not_NameContain_Banshee_Not_NameContain_Blade_Not_NameContain_Stiletto_Not_NameContain_Liche_Not_NameContain_Lancet_Not_NameContain_Brawler_Not_NameContain_Albatross_Not_NameContain_Sabre_Not_NameContain_Bladewing_Not_NameContain_Krow_Not_NameContain_Titan_Not_NameContain_Rapier+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_V Visible+_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_Builder_Not_Transport_Not_NameContain_Thunder_Not_NameContain_Phoenix_Not_NameContain_Tsunami_Not_NameContain_Shadow_Not_NameContain_Hurricane_Not_NameContain_Maelstrom_Not_NameContain_Banshee_Not_NameContain_Blade_Not_NameContain_Stiletto_Not_NameContain_Liche_Not_NameContain_Lancet_Not_NameContain_Brawler_Not_NameContain_Albatross_Not_NameContain_Sabre_Not_NameContain_Bladewing_Not_NameContain_Krow_Not_NameContain_Titan_Not_NameContain_Rapier+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_G AllMap+_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_Builder_Not_Transport_Not_NameContain_Freedom_Not_NameContain_Hawk_Not_NameContain_Tornado_Not_NameContain_Avenger_Not_NameContain_Vamp_Not_NameContain_Voodoo_Not_NameContain_Banshee_Not_NameContain_Blade_Not_NameContain_Stiletto_Not_NameContain_Liche_Not_NameContain_Lancet_Not_NameContain_Brawler_Not_NameContain_Albatross_Not_NameContain_Sabre_Not_NameContain_Bladewing_Not_NameContain_Krow_Not_NameContain_Titan_Not_NameContain_Rapier+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_B Visible+_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_Builder_Not_Transport_Not_NameContain_Freedom_Not_NameContain_Hawk_Not_NameContain_Tornado_Not_NameContain_Avenger_Not_NameContain_Vamp_Not_NameContain_Voodoo_Not_NameContain_Banshee_Not_NameContain_Blade_Not_NameContain_Stiletto_Not_NameContain_Liche_Not_NameContain_Lancet_Not_NameContain_Brawler_Not_NameContain_Albatross_Not_NameContain_Sabre_Not_NameContain_Bladewing_Not_NameContain_Krow_Not_NameContain_Titan_Not_NameContain_Rapier+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

Control_H AllMap+_Aircraft_Weapons_Not_Builder_Not_Transport_Not_NameContain_Freedom_Not_NameContain_Hawk_Not_NameContain_Tornado_Not_NameContain_Avenger_Not_NameContain_Vamp_Not_NameContain_Voodoo_Not_NameContain_Thunder_Not_NameContain_Phoenix_Not_NameContain_Tsunami_Not_NameContain_Shadow_Not_NameContain_Hurricane_Not_NameContain_Maelstrom+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+

//==For reference. I put these at the end of the file since selectkeys.txt doesn't accept comments and stops working after every wrong entry.
//
//==Mobile Anti Air/Nuke Units==
//
//Swatter
//Jethro
//Phalanx
//Archangel
//Scarab
//Slinger
//Crasher
//Copperhead
//Manticore
//Hedgehog
//
//
//==Fighers==
//
//Freedom
//Hawk
//Tornado
//Avenger
//Vamp
//Voodoo
//
//
//==Bombers==
//
//Thunder
//Phoenix
//Tsunami
//Shadow
//Hurricane
//Maelstrom
//
//
//==Aircraft w/ weapons not Bombers/Fighters==
//
//Banshee
//Blade
//Stiletto
//Liche
//Lancet
//Brawler
//Albatross
//Sabre
//Bladewing
//Krow
//Titan
//Rapier

CTRL A: All units
CTRL N: Next idle builder
CTRL C: Next Commander
CTRL R: All radar/jammers (but unfortunately doesn't select mobile jammers)
CTRL Z: All units of the types in previous selection
CTRL W: All mobile ground vs ground units
CTRL S: All mobile ground vs ground units on screen
CTRL F: All fighters
CTRL V: All fighters on screen
CTRL G: All bombers
CTRL B: All bombers on screen
CTRL H: All other aircraft with weapons

Only tested with ARM yet.

Category_C still doesnt work, I need it to exclude ships from CTRL W and CTRL S, I suspect its broken.

If a key doesnt work, you may need to unbind it in uikeys.txt (e.g. CTRL+V)
albator

Post by albator »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
albator wrote: It did not worked form me: I lost ability to select commander with crtl+C doing that
If done right it does work for sure. I personally do not have a selectkeys.txt and my select hotkeys do work.
http://pastebin.com/mC4zuWVg

any idea ?

EDIT : f*ck u Hector you your 1000 char word paste: use pastebin
smoth

Post by smoth »

mostly it was his massive line
very_bad_soldier

albator wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote:
http://pastebin.com/mC4zuWVg

any idea ?

EDIT : f*ck u Hector you your 1000 char word paste: use pastebin
The selection key lines have a wrong syntax. Try something like this please:

bind ctrl+b select AllMap+_ManualFireUnit+_ClearSelection_SelectOne+
albator

Post by albator »

I did, dont not work but ingame i have :

unknown token in filter commander
EDIT: I cannot Dgun anymore

EDIT 2: some admin remove hector post plz ! T
very_bad_soldier

You have to apply the fixes discussed in this thread.
HectorMeyer wrote: "Commander" is now "ManualFireUnit"
albator

Post by albator »

I did, it is just when I bind ctrl+c to get commander I cannot Dgun anymore ....
I mean the key on which i bind Dgun (F) does not work anymore)
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

I also get some strange errors, like i key not working anymore, giving the error "unknown source token put".
I use uikeys.txt from a fresh install, only change is unbind ctrl+v and the posted selectkeys.txt
albator wrote: EDIT 2: some admin remove hector post plz ! T
reported for backseat moderation. enjoy your forum ban
smoth

Post by smoth »

makes the thread unreadable.

you mad? You should be, because people cannot read it.
HectorMeyer wrote:enjoy your forum ban
P.S: this is back seat moderation, I got warned fer it once.
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

smoth wrote:you mad? You should be, because people cannot read it.
poor souls. i feel their pain. but at least the important content is preserved here for future generations.
just kidding

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”