Map edges, how can they be fixed? - Page 9

Map edges, how can they be fixed?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Re: Map edges, how can they be fixed?

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

VRgrid needs more hexagons!
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Reminds of the wallpaper at my grandma's house.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I feel there needs to be some more transparency down where it meets the ground. Playing top down, one might get the feeling they are indeed playing in very_bad_soldier's grandma's room, but with some more transparency it should come off as the VR grid.

But anyways, I really like the idea and out of all the proposed ones, like it the most.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Im torn between my wish for a Ruselike HoloZoomout.. the curving away thing.. that really really makes it look like a planet if not overdone..

and well.. whats the purpose of the wall..
to suggest that roads go ever ever on... so the rough map holo from evo is quite fine now if we combine this with the knowledge we got from the picture quality satellites deliver on landscapes... i would luv to see something that would suggest you leave the cameraLense of the military satellite, switching to historic images - and of course if you "the general needs info" the satellite switches position, trying to get the outzone into perspective without changing positon.. then some message
"budget to small to allow additional surveillance outside of mission area"

Of course this would only benefit (realistic) scenarios.. so forget about it. The ruse sollution, zoom out blends in a skybox.. that would be awesome..
Attachments
roadsgoEverEveron.jpg
(106.02 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Pako

Post by Pako »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:I feel there needs to be some more transparency down where it meets the ground. Playing top down, one might get the feeling they are indeed playing in very_bad_soldier's grandma's room, but with some more transparency it should come off as the VR grid.
Clearly you didn't even test it. Thinner and stronger texture could be better but 'fog', backround color and water affects much more how it looks.
SanadaUjiosan wrote:But anyways, I really like the idea and out of all the proposed ones, like it the most.
Yes it seems only one I would consider usable/releasable in a game.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

It's true, I was only going off of the images you provided as examples. It doesn't fit with the CT maps, although someday I might decide to make a VR type map.
ThornEel

Post by ThornEel »

Sorry to necro like that, but this was the most recent thread about the map edges I found.

What is preventing the Spring engine to use a bigger heightmap (or several ones?) than the (playable) map, to generate a mesh beyond the borders?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

ThornEel wrote:Sorry to necro like that, but this was the most recent thread about the map edges I found.

What is preventing the Spring engine to use a bigger heightmap (or several ones?) than the (playable) map, to generate a mesh beyond the borders?
I think it's a combination of "what we have works well enough" and "nobody has offered to do it yet"... it would be great to be able to have large maps with subsections defined as "combat areas" or whatever... would give new life to all the maps we have while also solving this "ugly edges" problem.

Are you volunteering?
ThornEel

Post by ThornEel »

Unfortunately, I have neither the skills for it nor the time to learn them atm...

My question was more out of curiosity : in all the discussed solutions, I didn't see this once, so I guessed that there is a reason against it. So I'd be curious to know why. After all, it does seem to be the simplest solution, at least at first glance.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

ThornEel wrote:Unfortunately, I have neither the skills for it nor the time to learn them atm...
All you need is a neuro-probe and someone who allready got the skills in a dark alley.. its easy- many people here learn there stuff that way. Avoiding all the pain and missery.

But be sure to hit on the right person.. you can contract some ugly knowledge, and then you are there, ripping it out of your head, one info at a time- till you are gone.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Problem is that Spring allows super zooming. It's possible to zoom in to insane levels and zoom out 100% so you can see the entire map + more. Afaik, most other RTS games have limited zooming and use this to their advantage so players can't see map edges by limiting the camera so it can't be moved so map edges are visible.

I really don't like that solution. Just thought I'd put that out there :P

Return to “Map Creation”