spring-multithreaded

spring-multithreaded

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Cheesecan

spring-multithreaded

Post by Cheesecan »

Purely out of curiosity, has anyone measured a performance increase with mt? If you could also write your CPU that would be helpful.
Anarchid

Re: spring-multithreaded

Post by Anarchid »

Isn't mt completely broken as of 85?
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

dont think there is a performance increase maybe a decrease but framerates stay high
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

This was from a ZK CAI 1v1 on Red Comet, Spring 84.0.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz

I got somewhat better MT performance by turning threaded optimization on in the nVidia control panel, but it also caused very frequent crashes.
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

how did you make the graph?
askuhn

Post by askuhn »

I don't have any specific measurements or graphs, but I can say that MT provides an inexplicably huge performance gain for me. I just wrapped up a two hour game against 3 RAI's and one E323AI (all allied) with well over 400 units per team (unit cap at 1000 for each team) and my framerate never dropped below 30FPS! :shock: This is with almost all of the graphical options turned on (except antialiasing, adv sky, & dynamic water). 8) Singlethreaded FPS under similar conditions would have been in the single digits after the first half hour on my system.

85.0 would deadlock on me, but I think zerver's commit yesterday fixed it because I haven't had any trouble today using the latest source from GIT.

Four Core AMD Phenom II 955
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 w/ Closed Driver Version 280.13
Ubuntu 11.10 w/ Unity 3D
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Anarchid wrote:Isn't mt completely broken as of 85?
+1
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

The performance depends very much on the graphics driver I think. My specific ATI driver drops significantly in FPS when glShareLists is enabled. It can be disabled with MultiThreadShareLists=0, but with the side effect that some LUA stuff may fail.

That graph is nice btw... for zero-k I would not be surprised if there still is some tweaking needed to make it run fast. I will do some profiling there.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

That would be much appreciated, zerver.
dcore221 wrote:how did you make the graph?
This widget (based on this widget). Log FPS and gameframe at regular intervals, write to file, open as comma-separated values in MS Excel.
albator

Post by albator »

before 0.83 (mostly 0.82) MT (4cores)was allowing me to play ffa with +150kE eco with mor than 20 fps (all setting low, 1680*1050), while ST gave me ~ 2 fps...otally unplayable

MT is just a necessity for my computer and ffa

i5 quad 750
4Go RAM
ATI 4890

PS: I barely play spring anymore cause no more MT
askuhn

Post by askuhn »

FabriceFABS wrote:
Anarchid wrote:Isn't mt completely broken as of 85?
+1
albator wrote:PS: I barely play spring anymore cause no more MT
I'm not saying that you guys don't have totally valid issues, but I just want to note that 85.0 MT has been the least buggy and best running version of spring I've used so far on my setup...

Four Core AMD Phenom II 955
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 w/ Closed Driver Version 280.13
Ubuntu 11.10 w/ Unity 3D
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

askuhn wrote:I'm not saying that you guys don't have totally valid issues, but I just want to note that 85.0 MT has been the least buggy and best running version of spring I've used so far on my setup...
Thanks for the flowers, but Alba is totally correct in that MT is broken. It works for single player, but will crash/deadlock/desync in multiplayer, especially when there is anyone using mid-game join.

I did not break it, but should have tested more real games before release. Sorry on behalf of the dev team. If there is no official MT fix release within a week, I will make one myself and post it somewhere.
PixelOfDeath

Post by PixelOfDeath »

MT worked very well for me until 84. In that version I get deadlocks at about 20-40 minutes BA gameplay. (I only play BA)
And the 85 MT wont even start for me.

Phenom 840 3.2 Ghz x 4 cores
8 GiBs ddr3
Radeon 5770

With the MT version the FPS is always good. But at big games like 20 players on DSD after more then one hour, depending on the unit count, the Sim Thread can't keep up and I start to lag behind. (But with good fps :D)
askuhn

Post by askuhn »

zerver wrote:Thanks for the flowers, but Alba is totally correct in that MT is broken. It works for single player, but will crash/deadlock/desync in multiplayer, especially when there is anyone using mid-game join.
Yeah, I was just trying to lighten things up a bit. Didn't want you all to be too hard on yourselves. :wink:
albator

Post by albator »

zerver wrote:
If there is no official MT fix release within a week, I will make one myself and post it somewhere.
Any ETA ? :p
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I will make it tonight unless jK (whom is working on the official 85.1) says he will release that this week.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

albator

Post by albator »

Code: Select all

The page you requested does not exist. A search for downloadmain resulted in this page.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

The download fails for you?

This is the whole installer, but you only want to pick the exe from that
http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/defaul ... 951972.exe
albator

Post by albator »

zerver wrote:The download fails for you?
indeed.

Aswome ! that works great, like it use to !

Return to “Help & Bugs”