Spring 85.0! - Page 2

Spring 85.0!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
SpliFF

Re: Spring 85.0!

Post by SpliFF »

Not sure if it's ROAM or disabled GLSL or both - but rendering performance has improved massively on my radeon/mesa setup. Great job guys this is an excellent release.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Just before you install it, go to your spring folder and set the following files to read only:

Code: Select all

selectkeys.txt
uikeys.txt
Also, to be sure, edit their permissions and set write permissions for SYSTEM to deny.

That way you'll ensure that no-one makes changes to those files without asking you.

Edit: it doesn't help. Only way to do is back them up before upgrading and then restoring the backup. You must do this each time you install spring though.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Got an ETA on .85 btw?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Jools wrote:Just before you install it, go to your spring folder and set the following files to read only:

Code: Select all

selectkeys.txt
uikeys.txt
That should be a common precaution, my uikey.txt say Spring-0.73 in the header.

This engine seems to work well, ROAM is awesome and the random crashes from 84.0 are said to be resolved.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

On max settings everything (including view distance to a ridiculous setting) 1920*1080

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18 ... 000001.jpg

also wtf no image linking?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

From that image I don't think max settings is high enough. That looks about as good as my low settings.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Google_Frog wrote:From that image I don't think max settings is high enough. That looks about as good as my low settings.
The thing is a lot of the things which makes max settings "max" are to do with view distance/shadows/water setting and how many things you can run on the screen at the same time.

I turned all the settings to lowest and it looked similar and the FPS wasn't much higher.

I wonder how my FPS would hold up in a real game seeing as my CPU underclocks itself and throttles when not in used (it was running at 1.2 ghz at the time of the screenshot) and the GPU was pretty much at idle.

Also I installed Spring on my SSD, load times of under 2 seconds.
massive

Post by massive »

I have only one question. When?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Maybe try it on another map than DSD, because that map doesn't do justice to anything. It's a waste of spring technology and human life.
Floris

Post by Floris »

"Draw smooth lines" is turned off in springsettings yet it appears on when playing

"commandernametags" widget fails too
MiNiMi

Post by MiNiMi »

the most fail for me is if u zoom out...then u can't see/identify your units :/ the mini-map show them better then the main windows ...
Floris

Post by Floris »

-removed, fixed
[PinK]Pizzy

Post by [PinK]Pizzy »

It is totally fail.
Why did you relized it?Just tell!Why did you relized undebugged version?And made all servers just change engine or shut down!!!
Why every new version keybinds file refresh and erase your binds.
Xanax just can even start it.His console spamm him a lot of error messages.
Group of units just cant be created.
It's awfull in that variant.Just cant be played.
Next time please just create test server and vote:Do you want that new features and new engine?
After each new relise of BA or Spring engine it just loose peoples.Do we have enoght to do that?!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

[PinK]Pizzy wrote:It is totally fail.
Why did you relized it?Just tell!Why did you relized undebugged version?And made all servers just change engine or shut down!!!
Why every new version keybinds file refresh and erase your binds.
Xanax just can even start it.His console spamm him a lot of error messages.
Group of units just cant be created.
It's awfull in that variant.Just cant be played.
Next time please just create test server and vote:Do you want that new features and new engine?
After each new relise of BA or Spring engine it just loose peoples.Do we have enoght to do that?!
we already try to improve that, but don't forget, this is a open-source project. nobody earns money for improving it, all of us do this in our free time.

we know about that problem, but lobbies, mainly springlobby doesn't support multiple engine versions (zero-k does). with multiple versions supported the switch to a new engine-version could be done much more gracefully. we still have to few testers... the issues found where not known before the release.

about xanax: he can try to delete springsettings.cfg, this should/could fix the issue...
smoth

Post by smoth »

[PinK]Pizzy wrote: After each new relise of BA or Spring engine it just loose peoples.Do we have enoght to do that?!
Spring and BA are not 1 in the same. Ba complaints go to BA devs.

Don't post a bunch of pissed off stuff when you can barely speak english, I cannot tell what the hell your problem is to try and give you and support in correcting it..Try posting after you calm down next time

custom keybindings.. learn to back up the config file? You know how this works, back up your key bindings before upgrading the engine folder.. if you are advanced enough to do keybindings you are smart enough to copy your config to somewhere safe...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Yeah, but releasin betas, and not calling it that.. thats just playin the "they will swallow it anyway" card.
Call it a rough Release then.

And the "Well, i have the same bug, thats not spring related, thats your very own fault. Find it out by repairing your comp" response, certainly doesent encourage to report. And the 84.0 habbit of freezing the outside system if you alt-tab out of it.. nah.

Revertin to 82.7. Sorry i tried to get it to work with the advice giving in the faqs, and i have to get on with my own work. I know you all put a lot of work into it. Know not testing all night long is considered anit-social in OpenSauce, but hey, at the end we are all just dustdevills in the dessert, trying to get a dune to play some music.

PS: If you free something of a hardcoded value, and deprecate it,its comonly asumed as good practice to keep the old method as long as possible, or if this is not possible, to emulate it using new methods, and if that is not possible, to implement a method that generates the code nessesary for the old units to work. It would be possible to parse a buildtree for a rootbuilder. Guess im anoying the crap out of people here. But hey, who started it? Yep.
Last edited by PicassoCT on 24 Dec 2011, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Floris

Post by Floris »

[PinK]Pizzy wrote:

Spring and BA are not 1 in the same. Ba complaints go to BA devs.

Spring == BA
(Spring == Gundam too, ect)
Because BA can't help spring is braking it every time it forces a new release. Enforcing all players to become unwanted beta testers.

--guarding/move units to another unit make the units run/attack to destination. :(
smoth

Post by smoth »

Floris wrote: Spring == BA
(Spring == Gundam too, ect)
Because BA can't help spring is braking it every time it forces a new release. Enforcing all players to become unwanted beta testers.
No

spring version XX + game files = gundam

spring = spring.

ZK can run with only certain version of spring. BA could do the same if it was a real issue. Just saying. For example gundam currently does not have an official release that actually runs with the current spring but gundam players can play just fine singleplayer if they never update spring..

BA could be fixed to work in current spring if it's devs were more active. Instead there is ZERO testing during these release candidates. Gundam? It was patched the morning after I found out about the next spring engine release candidate. I was even nice enough to make a thread so that OTHER content devs(including the BA team) could have time to make the adjustment.

So no, ba not being up to date and patched IS NOT spring's fault but BA's fault. Now some stuff like the issues with the pathfollower, yeah you guys could be running old spring if you wanted. Is it possible the new release has bugs? yep, is it likely that none of the ba players wanted to help test the next engine release but cry like babies when it breaks something, MOST DEFINITELY.

No BA players testing build before RC.
No BA people fixing little tag changes and shit durring the RC.
BA players crying about frustration AFTER the RC goes live, oh most of them.

Just saying, it is amazing how easy some of this is to prevent by I don't know helping the devs or picking up notepad, because lets face it, notepad and 7zip are all most of you need to tweak BA. Seriously wrong to put the stagnant state of BA on the devs when it has all these players who could make a patch for BA OR help the devs test.. but instead a project like mine, with 1 dev has to devote it's developer to testing, yet BA has none testing shit for the devs? COME ON! that is such bullshit!
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

ZK has now fixed most of the issues with this engine version. The major issue was some kind of change to the order of default key binding which broke control groups and selectkeys appears to be messed up. So we wrote some new default configs for ZKL and reset them for everyone.

I would like to disable smooth lines as well.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Don't panic people! Developers made a good job! And most of bugs will be fixed by mod devs. So you will get more advantages and when some time passes you will be happy :-D

Return to “News”