Decline in BA players - Page 4

Decline in BA players

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

knorke

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by knorke »

read carefully.
this car is broken down:

these dudes are breaking it down:
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Those dudes broke the car?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Jazcash wrote:Those dudes broke the car?
Black people break cars?

[/generalize]
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

NO DSD? GOODBYE BA, HELLO RITALIN!
wolas

Post by wolas »

Get phoronix post something about spring. I wrote them once, but they prefer xonotic-nexuiz all over time. Concetrate on people who will actually will play and I mean linux users since they are not so picky about games. Phoronix is right place to start again. Slashdot will consider it as spam probably.

I discovered spring after running linux for ~4years and yes I searched for games. In debian after you write apt-get install spring you get wtf. Then after some time(~half year) you find it again and you find that you need to install lobby. While other games just install's and works(when you install ~20 games at once you dont really read much :) )

What spring needs is some centralized thing(good lobby probably) like steam(if it would work with all opensource online games that would be best thing possible, with xqf integration and so on) I guess maybe rapid(NOT CLI) integration with all current mods and doubleclick integration download , without it spring is a mess, well Licho done great job on simplyfing things with zero-k lobby, but he should stop spending his own money that makes me nervous.

Also zero-k has statistics, awards!(believe me or not this is very big thing) thats why it is newbie friendly and more ppl are coming to zk than BA.

BA in general is very ugly(not graphics for me all games could have such) no documentation, hidden costs, hidden damage and so on, how it made so far I cant understand.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

End of Spring= BA soon?
wolas

Post by wolas »

Its one day diference workday and not workday and to my big surprise on workday people still play rather much. By the way is this stats project locked by seven locks? Or maybe run locally? Or there is public URL
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

It immidiatly hit me: Gentleman we have a winner!

o.o7% this is outstanding.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Congratulations, my predictions have come true and CA Zero K is now the primary mod.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF wrote:Congratulations, my predictions have come true and CA Zero K is now the primary mod.
Took long enough :P I'll start playing it when I get back to uni if my laptop can handle it :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Remember BA, before that Zero K did take over, with map changing every game. We had steady values back then, ba and dsd, and then sometimes dsd with ba for a change. And we never did that mono-gamy shit, we never were under 12 people and some spectrators.

Those were the days.

If you use nostAlgea everything can be good.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Licho wrote:Image

End of Spring= BA soon?
About bloody time.

That stale mod should have died a long time ago.

Maybe the reboot with the new models and hopefully some changes will liven it up a little.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What I'd like to see is a third game with 2 digit figures regularly in that list.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF wrote:What I'd like to see is a third game with 2 digit figures regularly in that list.
What I'd like to see more is a poll made up by all the players who gave up Spring in less than a week showing which reasons they left for.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Yeah, less incestous copy pasting, more bitchfighting, you little underdogdevs. Maybe we should stew them and destill a third percentage mod out of it.

How ironic, that after all those efforts we recreate the situation in the industry. One or two top titles per month, and the rest can see for themselves how they go belly up.

@Jazcash: That actually would be a really neat thing. A question in the uninstaller...
knorke

Post by knorke »

Jazcash wrote:What I'd like to see more is a poll made up by all the players who gave up Spring in less than a week showing which reasons they left for.
zero-K had a poll "Why do you not play/not play more?" Supposedly #1 reason was "everything is in english."
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

knorke wrote:
Jazcash wrote:What I'd like to see more is a poll made up by all the players who gave up Spring in less than a week showing which reasons they left for.
zero-K had a poll "Why do you not play/not play more?" Supposedly #1 reason was "everything is in english."
Really? o.O That's pretty interesting. Especially as the community is made up of people from all around the world. Would be interesting to see some stats about Spring's popularity with different nations actually. I suppose the majority of forum-goers are American and maybe players are perhaps French? I really have no idea.

Thinking about it though, I'm probably just more convinced that Spring is more widespread among nations than other games for the simple reason that flags are shown in the lobby. Otherwise I just sort of sub-consciously assume that people are english/american on other games which I suppose is not so much ignorant, but more the fact I never think about it.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I might remember it wrong but I think someone posted that. (tbh only remember a similiar poll in springdownloader where the popular answer was something else)
@Jazcash: That actually would be a really neat thing. A question in the uninstaller...
Uninstaller? BA does not even have an installer. ;)
(hint: that makes installing the game harder)

I think BA chickendefense is/was broken for some time?
So that means the lose of those players. (in stats BA and BA chicken are listed as seperate games)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Most players are German.
smoth

Post by smoth »

cause most windows users are english and most linux users are Eu.. *OS TROLL*

Anyway joking aside, I am sure translation would be nice but would double the maintenance on tooltips, unit descriptions etc. Just for german.. I don't want to imagine chinese or indian languages...

Just too much trouble for WIP projects. Unlike commercial titles where they just stop caring after a point and have an overall feature freeze then pay some guy to translate.

I suspect a lot of people leave spring because their old assed/shitty on board... video card cannot run it. Spring does NOTHING to check before run if the card meets the shader requirements even though apparently it can detect the video card and shader support(seen in infolog). It should probably at least spit out an error saying "hey your video card only supports open gl 1.0, spring requires at least opengl 2.0 support" or something like that.

but yeah, spring should be more honest up front about being able to run it.. still wonder what happened with spliffs run on any card code..

anyway, yeah I suspect some people would have issue language but the benefits do not out weight the maintenance cost of maintaining translations..

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”